Little Women

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
LaWade
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawade.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Re: Little Women

Post by LaWade » 17 Apr 2018, 13:14

It's been decades since my last reading, so I can't pinpoint any moments of interest for a discussion, but I appreciated that the sisters were such individuals. Obviously Jo is a favorite among modern women, she was a break-through character for those of us reading before the year 2000. (that would actually be a good discussion point for your Girl Scouts -- how Jo's character was controversial a century ago, but may seem ordinary and normal in today's society).

strawberrysab
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab » 19 Apr 2018, 15:24

I read it as a child with my mom in Italian and read it again only a few months for my reading challenge with a friend in English. It felt like reading two different books.
Berry :wine:

Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss » 26 Aug 2018, 15:16

This book was way ahead of its time in the characterisation of Jo. To me, it’s a timeless classic.

Jsovermyer
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert

Post by Jsovermyer » 12 Oct 2018, 21:50

This is one of my favorites. I've read it many times.

PegR
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by PegR » 12 Jan 2019, 23:10

As simple as this book is. It teached me a lot of what woman can do with enough passion and drive. Even though I dont agree 100% with Jo, I do feel somehow related to her. In a carreer dominated by men, it is sometime hard to be seen, of course her time is very different but as a female electronic engineer I've had my share of rejections. She is an inspiration to every girl.

Return to “Classic Books”