Official Review: Shadowshine by Johnny Armstrong

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Official Review: Shadowshine by Johnny Armstrong

Post by evraealtana »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadowshine" by Johnny Armstrong.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The last ice age is ending, and trouble is brewing for the animals. It hasn’t rained in weeks, and a terrifying new species, the hairless, two-legged "sans-pelage", threatens the forest and every creature in it by starting fires that rage out of control in the unseasonably dry weather. Zak, a multilingual possum and poet, ventures away from his homeland in search of some way to save the forest from destruction by the sans-pelages. Outside of his protected glade, though, he finds the world to be a dangerous and confusing place. Alongside a wide cast of quirky, menacing, flippant, and intellectual beasts, Zak is forced to explore not only the landscape but also his inner self in order to save the world from the new and unprecedented threat.

Shadowshine, written by Johnny Armstrong, is best characterized as a prehistoric fairytale and is additionally described by the author as an “animal adventure”. It explores themes of ecology, balance, identity, and humankind’s place in the natural world through the medium of talking animals.

Despite the whimsical storytelling, the book is not aimed at children, as demonstrated by the usage of advanced vocabulary; for example, an angry tern who doesn't care for Zak's presence in his fishing hole is described as spewing "insolent avian invective" at him, and Zak’s favorite word, used often, is “incomprehensible”. The book also contains humor which children would likely miss; for instance, Zak, being diurnal while most possums are nocturnal, is nicknamed “Opposite Possum”, shortened to “O. Possum”, which would make an adult smile but would be lost on a child. Likewise, the text is peppered with philosophical discussions that would completely escape a young reader, such as a monologue by a skunk who explains the difference between "being lost" and "not knowing where you are" and how it is possible to be one, the other, or both at the same time. As I read, I was reminded of the works of Voltaire, whose sharp satire is always hidden beneath humorous tales told through exaggerated characters.

The book is well edited, and errors are infrequent and minor. There is some relatively mild profanity as well as infrequent but graphic violence and one oblique reference to sex. Overall, though, it is the mature ideas and vocabulary that limit the age of the audience. The book contains sporadic spiritual references but no outright religious ones, and so I cannot imagine any reader being offended on religious grounds.

Shadowshine earns a score of 4 out of 4 for its thought-provoking philosophizing swathed in imaginative, fanciful storytelling. It would most appeal to adults with a sense of whimsy and a love for the natural world.

Shadowshine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Seems interesting. Thank you for the well detailed review.
Silpi B
Currently Reading: My Angel My Hero
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silpi-b.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Silpi B »

The storyline sounds so intriguing. Beautiful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”