Review by GianKosi77 -- The Most Unlikely Champion

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GianKosi77
Favorite Author: M. Curtis McCoy
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giankosi77.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 197138

Review by GianKosi77 -- The Most Unlikely Champion

Post by GianKosi77 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Most Unlikely Champion" by Vera Koo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life will throw anything on your path when you least expect it. Vera Koo will attest to this assertion because she hit a dead end and then rose again. The Most Unlikely Champion is Vera's true story about how she navigated the world dominated by men. Its crux is "the most spectacular rise can only come after you fall." The author's life portrays this lesson perfectly, and the reader can affirm.

Vera Koo is the world's champion in sport shooting. However, the circumstances that surrounded her life proved that she would be a housewife at best. The author grew up in a society that prioritizes men's needs. When she tried to design her path (venturing into shooting), life challenges threatened her success: Koo's in-laws gave her a difficult time, which affected her adversely. Just as she was gaining momentum, the sting of death took away Vera's hope when she lost precious members of her family. As soon as she came back on track, the poor lady got a severe accident that crippled her for several months. The worst nightmare came the day Carlos, Koo's husband, cheated on her. Whenever the author was about to go for the shooting competition, she would be hit by a terrible life blow. Vera Koo defeated all odds and became the most unlikely champion in sport shooting and her marriage.

I admire most how the author tells her story. Her voice shows no regret or condemnation. Neither does Vera blame anyone for contributing to her predicaments. In every difficult situation, she found a reason to learn a lesson and appreciate life. For instance, her first son's death made Koo meditate on what God would be communicating to them.

What I disliked most was that the narrative was not chronological. Vera could go back in time and jump back to the present. I got confused with this narration style because I failed to comprehend what challenge came before the other. At times I got lost that I had to revisit the previous pages.

The author does not only share her journey to greatness but also various life principles. Perseverance, forgiveness, hard work, and determination are critical aspects that Vera's story brings us. The reader will enjoy the twists and turns in the story as well as learn great lessons. As a result, I am glad to award this novel 4 out of 4 stars. Justin Pahl did a great job ensuring the book is professionally edited. I rarely noticed any errors throughout the book.

Ladies who are struggling to find their place in a men-dominated world, this is the novel for you. The Christians who would wish to know how God answers prayers, there you go. The book has no profanity or erotic scenes, making it suitable for readers of all ages. I recommend this book also to anybody who loves sport shooting and would like to compete. The author has shared various helpful tactics for the champions. There are several references to God, faith, and salvation that might be offensive to the non-religious audience.

The Most Unlikely Champion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

It can definitely be hard during tough times to learn a lesson and appreciate life, so it shows how brave the author is. Your recommendation of this book and the reasoning was beautifully detailed. Thank you for the lovely work!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like a very educative book, with a lot of useful messages. Great job with the review!
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

This book is one with so much motivational talks for women in a world where they are termed the weaker gender. I can imagine the struggles she had to go through trying to prove her worth. Your review is fantastic and I hope Christians and women alike pick this book for their reading consumption
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

It can be hard during difficult stretches to get familiar with an exercise and acknowledge life, so it shows how fearless the creator is. Your proposal of this book and the thinking was delightfully point by point. Much obliged to you for the exquisite work!
GianKosi77

Post by GianKosi77 »

SamaylaM wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 03:38 It can definitely be hard during tough times to learn a lesson and appreciate life, so it shows how brave the author is. Your recommendation of this book and the reasoning was beautifully detailed. Thank you for the lovely work!
That's very true SamaylaM, the future is for the brave and those who do not give up. Thank you for a beautiful comment.
GianKosi77

Post by GianKosi77 »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 04:12 It seems like a very educative book, with a lot of useful messages. Great job with the review!
Very educative indeed in all aspects of life. Thank you for your comment.
GianKosi77

Post by GianKosi77 »

Nedbrian wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 08:14 This book is one with so much motivational talks for women in a world where they are termed the weaker gender. I can imagine the struggles she had to go through trying to prove her worth. Your review is fantastic and I hope Christians and women alike pick this book for their reading consumption
Yes sure NedBrian. Nothing is beyond the women's reach just as the author puts it. Thank you.
Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: The Plan Bundle by R.W. Frazier

Post by Nqobile771 »

"The most spectacular rise can only come after you fall." - This statement is so true! Our greatest strength is revealed when facing adversities.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Rashfordmbe10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashfordmbe10.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rashfordmbe10 »

I for one believe in rising higher than ever after defeat. They say experience is the best teacher, Vera Koo’s story is a perfect example. Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”