John Green

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Re: John Green

Post by Tzara Drusak »

John Green has never disappointed me, from the first time I read Looking For Alaska a while back. His characters are ingeniously written with a subliminal twist of the millennials in realistic everyday instances that you can't help but love.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Hudaqaiyoom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hudaqaiyoom »

John Greens books are amazing as always. The way he writes about problems teens encounter really helps us get attached on an emotional level
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

I love John Green as an author and as a person! I'm a huge fan of his YouTube channel too, it provides such a cool community for his fans and now his brother has a book coming out soon which is exciting! He does a lot of good for charities too... he's kind of my man crush 😂
Snrains13
Currently Reading: Animal Farm / 1984
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snrains13.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Snrains13 »

John Green is good at targeting his audiences with his YA novels, the plots aren't always the typical ones you see over and over which is good, and I actually love his tendency to kill off characters. It makes it a little bit less predictable than the majority of authors where the characters always overcome, also the anticipation of wondering who it's going to be is there. I wouldn't rate most of his higher than a 2, however, except maybe Paper Towns could be rated a 3.
bban21

Post by bban21 »

Snrains13 wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 10:28 John Green is good at targeting his audiences with his YA novels, the plots aren't always the typical ones you see over and over which is good, and I actually love his tendency to kill off characters. It makes it a little bit less predictable than the majority of authors where the characters always overcome, also the anticipation of wondering who it's going to be is there. I wouldn't rate most of his higher than a 2, however, except maybe Paper Towns could be rated a 3.
I love John Green, I would rate higher than a two
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

I cried soo much while watching the fault in our stars, I then bought the book and my obsession with John Green started with the second chapter of tfios. But i have to say that my favorite book by him is probably Looking for Alaska. I really like his style in writing. His books have twisted endings that are definitely not predictable and banal.
MrsNMJames16

Post by MrsNMJames16 »

I think John Green is a phenomenal person and a great author. I've followed him on Youtube for years, he and his brother do amazing things for all types of organizations and groups of people. They've made a space for people who don't normally have a space and they've made it so open and welcoming. I love his writing but I truly love his morale.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

As a few people mentioned, Looking For Alaska was my favorite too. I love the characters, especially Alaska. The quote about her being a hurricane while Miles was only a drizzle is one of my all-time favorites.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar

Post by Vscholz »

amqzong wrote: 22 Feb 2014, 20:34 Like NovaJay2415, I've only read Fault in Our Stars, but I wasn't that impressed by it. I think some parts were definitely inspiring, but the plot, characters, and romance just didn't appeal to me.
I enjoyed TFIOS as I was reading it, but once I was finished and recovered, I realized the multitude of issues with it. I read Looking for Alaska next, and then An Abundance of Katherine's. Abundance was definitely a great recovery novel and is my second favorite novel by Green. My first is Alaska. Papertowns was also pretty good.

I don't know how I feel about the adaptations, though. I watched both in theaters when they came out but haven't since revisited them.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
sam_jennifer_may
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-jennifer-may.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sam_jennifer_may »

I think John Green is amazing. He has a way of drawing me in and making me feel every emotion with the character that no over author has been able to do.
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

I have read all of John Green's novels (and hopefully his brother Hank's novel when it comes out). I loved them all, especially Let it Snow. Some of his characters become a little repetitive of each other and he over utilizes the manic pixie dream girl cliche too much.

The best part about John Green is definitely the online community he and his brother have created.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

aMYethoughts wrote: 03 Aug 2014, 12:36 I hate to do any kind of bashing on John Green because I do enjoy everything he is doing on YouTube. I just think his writing style is a strange mixture of pretentious and simple. His dialogue is something that feels very unrealistic for anyone, let alone teenagers. His novels are sentimental, and I have admittedly cried throughout Looking for Alaska and the Fault in Our Stars. From what I have seen from these two books, however, I believe he uses very, very similar story lines and plot elements.
I agree, his style is extremely pretentious. I have read several John Green books, but I disliked all of them, especially Looking for Alaska, sorry. Overall, I find him to be overrated. However, I say all this without having yet read the Fault in Out Stars, so perhaps I might change my mind.
~Roxie~
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

I read Hank Green’s An Absolutely Remarkable Thing, and I highly enjoyed that.
~Roxie~
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

I love John Green. He doesn't necessarily write about the 'normal' teenager. His characters are the quirky, weird types I find really charming. Most of his stories take this sort of tragic route but that's what I appreciate. When I read a book it's because I'm hoping to feel something and his novels provide that exact reaction.
AnnaPap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annapap.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by AnnaPap »

I think he's really talented (and he also seems like a great guy). The first book of his that I read was "Paper Towns", because I wanted to have read the book before I saw the movie. I think I finished it in a day or two, time just flew by. I haven't read all of his books yet, but I'm planning to as soon as I get the time!

Return to “Discuss Authors”