Official Review: Spanish Flu vs Covid-19, which is the wo...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares
2022 Reading Goal: 40
2022 Goal Completion: 72%

Official Review: Spanish Flu vs Covid-19, which is the wo...

Post by Nqobile771 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spanish Flu vs Covid-19, which is the worst pandemic?" by Farzana Prior.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Spanish Flu was more infectious than Covid-19 because the symptoms appeared quickly, and the virus was more deadly. The Spanish Flu also resulted in millions of infections and killed hundreds of thousands. Considering that we are still experiencing the pandemic and statistics from the World Health Organisation already show over 37 million confirmed cases of infected people and over a million deaths globally, Farzana Prior poses a pertinent question in her book titled Spanish Flu vs Covid-19, which is the worst pandemic?

The book delves into the origins of both viruses, explores the political and economic factors that influenced the responses of various countries and the mitigation measures implemented by those countries. The author cites the similarities and patterns that can be observed between the Spanish Flu and Covid-19. She further contrasts the various approaches taken by countries to curb the spread of Covid-19 to those taken to control the spread of the Spanish Flu.

Despite the advancements made in science and technology today compared to back in 1918, there is no treatment for Covid-19 yet. The virus control measure that was implemented during the Spanish Flu pandemic was termed crowd control. Today, a similar control measure has been adopted worldwide, and it is termed social distancing. While the author applauds the countries which learned from the Spanish Flu experience and responded swiftly to curb the spread of Covid-19, she laments the deaths of the citizens whose countries failed to act timeously.

I must commend the author for the extensive research that they have undertaken when writing this book, and for citing and using credible sources. What I liked is that the book contains a lot of scientific information, but it is presented in an unsophisticated style, making it easy for readers to comprehend its content.

The structure of the book follows a sequential format and has an appealing layout. Using bright colors for the graphical images enhanced my reading pleasure as most images in the book were black and white. Although the book is 74 pages long, it contains a lot of information. As a result, I would advise readers not to rush into finishing it in one sitting.

As I was reading through this book, I realized that it is no longer a question of if another pandemic is looming. It is a question of when we will experience another pandemic. We might not know where the next outbreak is going to originate from, but we know a little better and must do better. After all, experience is the best teacher.

There was nothing I disliked about the book, it was well researched and exceptionally edited. I found no grammar or typographical errors in it, and I am happy to award the book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Considering the pandemic we are facing, I recommend this book to all young adults and adults. It is informative and factual.

Spanish Flu vs Covid-19, which is the worst pandemic?
View: on Bookshelves
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: My Daddy is in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: One Bad Break by Barry Minnett Jr

Post by MsH2k »

“We might not know where the next outbreak is going to originate from, but we know a little better and must do better.”
Yes, we must do better. I have a feeling it will be less than a hundred years before our next pandemic.
Thank you for your thorough review.
"Intense love does not measure, it just gives."
Mother Teresa
Nqobile771
Currently Reading:

Post by Nqobile771 »

MsH2k wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 01:07 “We might not know where the next outbreak is going to originate from, but we know a little better and must do better.”
Yes, we must do better. I have a feeling it will be less than a hundred years before our next pandemic.
Thanks for taking the time to read and engage. I appreciate it.
honesty_pays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honesty-pays.html
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino

Post by honesty_pays »

This feels like a real informative piece about the covid-19 virus. The detailing on your review shows it would be an excellent piece to read. Nice review
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino
Nqobile771
Currently Reading:

Post by Nqobile771 »

honesty_pays wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 01:36 This feels like a real informative piece about the covid-19 virus. The detailing on your review shows it would be an excellent piece to read. Nice review
I think the author did a good job in this book. Thanks for the comment.
MURANGA9
Currently Reading: The Christmas Wish
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muranga9.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MURANGA9 »

Great review. This is definitely a very insightful read.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

This one seems like a good read. The review is quite insightful; good job 👌
VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

Yes, we need to know better and do better. The question should not be about when the next pandemic will be but are we ready for it? Comparing the two dreadful pandemics, I guess the book will give some insight into how to prepare better for the next. The review is very insightful and informative. Great job 👍
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

MsH2k wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 01:07 “We might not know where the next outbreak is going to originate from, but we know a little better and must do better.”
great line by the author. I doubt it would take another 100 years for a pandemic to appear. It is scary
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Good review!!! the book seems informative. your tip to not rush through the book gives a hint of the weight of pieces of information given in the book.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Lion of Camelot by Robert Murray
fav_author_id: 2484
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Saint Bruno »

This will be a very interesting read. I am sure it will come with some history lessons. Thanks a lot for your detailed review and recommendation.
Rashida10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashida10.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD

Post by Rashida10 »

This book seems to be a perfect read for this covid-19 times. Great review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I believe the book provides us with almost all the necessary information about the current pandemic and the Spanish Flu. The comparison was inevitable, and I'm really glad there is such book. I would definitely read it! Thanks for a great review!
Mstrtim
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Island
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstrtim.html
Latest Review: The M&M Boys by Lara Reznik
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2022 Reading Goal: 75
2022 Goal Completion: 76%

Post by Mstrtim »

It's a service when an author can present scientific facts in a layperson's terms so we don't have to keep Googling for explanations while reading. This alone could prompt me to read this book. We've placed some distance between the outbreak of the pandemic till now, but there is still so far to go. I'd like to read the book to find out if the current political administration has botched the approach to Covid-19 as badly as President Wilson did by not even acknowledging that the flu existed in 1918. Nice review!
Nqobile771
Currently Reading:

Post by Nqobile771 »

Rashida10 wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 17:20 This book seems to be a perfect read for this covid-19 times. Great review.
It is right on time! Thanks for the kind comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”