Classic Princess stories with a Twist

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
CarrieMe
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Re: Classic Princess stories with a Twist

Post by CarrieMe » 08 May 2017, 23:40

I haven't read any of these books except Ella Enchanted, so I'll have to check them out! I really enjoyed The School for Good and Evil series (YA) by Soman Chainani. Fairytale characters have to be taught how to be good heroes and villains, and The School for Good and Evil is where they learn how to do it. The story follows two friends who somehow end up in opposite schools than what they expected. It's a fairly creative story and I appreciate the author's take on fairytales.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Storygamer88
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 » 05 Jun 2017, 17:28

I think a lot of Disney movies lately have been inverting the classic trope with heroes like Moana and Brave's archer. Then there's anime and video games that change it too.

That said, there arent many novel based princess like characters I can think of - though it is admittedly out of the scope of my interests. Perhaps Ella as others have said is the only I can recall.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris

bb587
2019 Reading Goal: 60
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 3
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by bb587 » 23 Apr 2018, 08:58

I love Patricia C. Wrede's The Enchanted Forest Chronices. Princess Cimorene thinks being a classic princess is boring. She convinces the castle staff to teach her things like fencing and cooking. She ends up volunteering to be a captive to a dragon where she can cook, clean, read, and do magic. I HIGHLY recommend this book series.

freakkshowx
2018 Reading Goal: 58
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 29
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freakkshowx.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau

Post by freakkshowx » 25 Apr 2018, 08:44

I wanted to add that Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge is an amazing retelling of Little Red Riding Hood; I would urge everyone to give it a try. It moves quickly, and I found it to be far less predictable than most stories based on fairy tales. The writing is exquisite, especially for something that's technically young adult fiction.

KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 452
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 » 23 Jun 2018, 14:08

I'll definitely keep all of these in mind because I'm always looking for twists on fairy tales. I wasn't blown away by Gregory Maguire's works, unfortunately. But, I'll check all of these out!

pricklypurple
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by pricklypurple » 30 Jun 2018, 16:07

The Princess Bride!

Lil Reads
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads » 02 Jul 2018, 23:09

I'm also going to say Ella Enchanted and Just Ella!

I'm going to add Leaping Beauty: And Other Animal Fairy Tales by Gregory Maguire. Yes, the same guy who wrote Wicked and its sequels. Leaping Beauty re-imagines the characters as animals; it is a fun and quick little short story collection for younger readers. After reading some of his darker and deeper books, reading a story where the three little pigs become penguins is such a palette cleanser. He still uses the some of the details from older stories, like the step-sisters inflicting pain on themselves trying to fit their feet into Cinderella's slipper to get the prince, but she's an elephant using pie pans, so it verges into silly more than some of his other work.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:

Ksharmilla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Ksharmilla » 14 Jul 2018, 18:51

ThatRobynGirl wrote:
10 Dec 2013, 06:11
Have you read the Once Upon A Time series? It's written collectively, and they're all retelling classic fairy tales. They're absolutely smashing, in my opinion. I highly recommend them.
There's a book series??!! 😱😱 I'm hooked (no pun intended) on the TV series...

Ksharmilla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html

Post by Ksharmilla » 14 Jul 2018, 18:52

bb587 wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 08:58
I love Patricia C. Wrede's The Enchanted Forest Chronices. Princess Cimorene thinks being a classic princess is boring. She convinces the castle staff to teach her things like fencing and cooking. She ends up volunteering to be a captive to a dragon where she can cook, clean, read, and do magic. I HIGHLY recommend this book series.
I remember reading this a long time ago. I absolutely loved it!!

sarahmarlowe
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 70
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Island by Amit Offir
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe » 19 Nov 2018, 22:14

anomalocaris wrote:
26 Apr 2014, 11:54
Politically Correct Bedtime Stories. It's a collection of parodies of classic fairy tales, with anything potentially offensive removed. in one, Cinderella goes to the ball, against the advice of her fairy godmother, who tries to dissuade her from stuffing herself into uncomfortable clothing to conform to an unrealistic male-imposed standard of feminine beauty. Mayhem ensues. In another, Red Riding Hood goes off to bring some healthy snacks to her grandmother (who is an active senior citizen and perfectly able to take care of herself), and of course encounters the wolf. When the woodsman arrives to save the day, both Red and the wolf are offended by the insinuation that women and wolves can't solve their own problems without a man's help and... well, again, mayhem ensues.
I read this a while back, but I had forgotten about it! I'm going to have to pull it back out. Thank you!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

PegR
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by PegR » 12 Jan 2019, 23:21

I love the selection Series. Damsels in distrest in the begging but then when America takes actions is beautiful. Fragile princess no more!! 100% recommended.

Return to “Classic Books”