Review by Fifizora -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fifizora
Favorite Author: Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifizora.html
Latest Review: The Fire of Winter by DK Marley
fav_author_id: 2885

Review by Fifizora -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Fifizora »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Opaque is an exciting, adventurous novel by Calix Leigh-Reign, the first book in the Scion saga. It follows the story of Adam, a teenage boy who discovers that he’s a descendant of humans with mutated genes. These enhanced genes give him and other descendants supernatural abilities. For centuries, the descendants have been the target of a group of evil Russian scientists, known as the Iksha, determined to eliminate them and harness their powers.

The story starts quite slowly and focuses on the relationship between Adam and those around him. Adam wanders around detached from most people in his life. This changes when he meets Carly, the new girl in school. The book explores the teenage couple’s relationship and delves into Adam’s heritage, as he learns more about his powers and the growing threat posed by the Iksha.

I loved the connection between Adam and Carly. Their characters complemented each other very well, and it was refreshing to see them deal with real relationship issues. The bond between them grows as they give each other complete honesty and trust. Carly also helps Adam open up and let go of the darkness he possesses at the start of the book. However, I think the development of their relationship was rushed. The couple became close after a handful of brief exchanges and one proper conversation. They quickly began spending every possible moment with each other. I would’ve preferred a bit more of a progression to their relationship.

One thing that initially made it difficult to get into the story is the writing perspective. The book is written in the third person, present tense and the author switches between the points of view of multiple characters. This interrupted the flow of the story, as I struggled to know whose perspective was being represented. Once I got past this, I found the book to be thoroughly enjoyable and full of surprises. Most of the questions I had were answered by the end of the book, although the author expertly kept me in suspense.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The first half of the story was a bit confusing with the third person present tense portrayal of the characters. While the story had a slow start, the second half had me hooked with all the revelations about Adam, Carly, their families and the Iksha. I felt happiness, sadness and everything in between alongside the characters. The author brings these emotions to life wonderfully. I would recommend this book to young adults who are fans of romance, adventure and the supernatural. I would not recommend this book for readers younger than 13, as it explores subjects such as incest and sexual assault, as well as containing a few explicit scenes and some swearing.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Rwill0988
2019 Reading Goal: 46
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 411
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Rwill0988 »

It is interesting to see different takes on the book. I'm curious, how did you feel about how Leigh-Reign dealt with Terry?
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice

Fifizora

Post by Fifizora »

Rwill0988 wrote:
29 May 2020, 09:12
It is interesting to see different takes on the book. I'm curious, how did you feel about how Leigh-Reign dealt with Terry?
Yes, when I read books I tend to focus on the romance aspects, hence why that's the main thing I discuss in the review. I thought Adam and Carly would properly address what happened to Terry at some point and I was disappointed that they didn't. I think it's horrible that the situation was pushed to the side. I was surprised that the death of Terry didn't halt or slow the growth of their relationship, even momentarily. What did you think?

Rwill0988
2019 Reading Goal: 46
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 411
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html

Post by Rwill0988 »

How Terry's death was handled really bothered me. It felt like by burning the evidence up, she was making it seem like it never happened. It was harder for me to feel sympathy for the missing father when I kept thinking about how Terry's family was looking for her and would never get answers. How they sought revenge/justice for the people they lost but didn't feel like Terry's family deserved it.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice

Fifizora

Post by Fifizora »

Definitely! The fact that he felt absolved of his guilt once he confessed to Carly shows that its more about her opinion than actual justice in this case. Since they seem to be settled in Piure for the time being, I hope there will be some sort of closure for Terry's family at some point.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”