Chatton's religious beliefs

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Sorry I Missed You
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Chatton's religious beliefs

Post by JGretz-7 »

I'm curious as to what other readers thought of the juxtaposition of human rights and Chatton's religious beliefs against the pain acclimation sessions and the use of the cattle prods. How could Chatton spout scripture and then look the other way on a daily basis? He wouldn't tolerate profanity, but the use of physical pain was okay?

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by teacherjh »

I think like so many people, he compartmentalizes his beliefs and does not let them affect his day to day decisions. Also, of course, he does not see the projects as human. Still, even animals deserve better treatment than the projects get. He may even justify it as a type of military-style training. Still, it is sad that his beliefs did not inspire him to stand up for justice.

Bothofus07
Favorite Book: Skills of the Warramunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bothofus07.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by Bothofus07 »

I had some of these same thoughts. Early in the story, Chatton seemed to be just another one-dimensional stereotype of a religious hypocrite. At least he redeemed himself somewhat by helping Kata, and maybe we can assume that his eyes were opened to the moral consequences of his behavior.

angiedeeh1
Currently Reading: The Love Dare for Parents
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiedeeh1.html
Latest Review: The Weeping Woman of Putten by Alyce Bailey
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by angiedeeh1 »

I think this type of dichotomy is so prevalent, maybe not on this scale, but I could be wrong. I've personally known people who will spout scripture and yet turn and do the exact opposite of what scripture says. I've known people who use scripture to justify their evil actions, twisting the words to fit their own agenda. However, I think @teacherjh is right in that he probably compartmentalizes things. His day-to-day actions are kept separate, not at all subject to the scrutiny of his belief system. I'm sure I'm guilty of it too. I may believe what scripture says but I am far from getting it right all the time, no matter what my intentions are.

Officialboluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialboluwatife.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Sim. Chinese Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by Officialboluwatife »

I see him as being hypocritical with his religious belief. Despite his military experience, he should have still been human in dealing with living things, even animals. Though he justified himself by helping Kata

MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: The Rapture of The Church has been Canceled
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: 25 Days of Roses by Mellanie Brown

Post by MsH2k »

I think he compartmentalized a lot of the time, but he did step out of the room so that Tau could give Kata some of his food when he was being starved by Dennison.

I laughed aloud when Chatton started swearing like a sailor when he thought he was going to be killed. I didn’t know he had it in him. :shhh: :icon-lol:

La Loca Designs
Currently Reading: Hooked
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-loca-designs.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by La Loca Designs »

Bothofus07 wrote:
22 May 2020, 13:03
I had some of these same thoughts. Early in the story, Chatton seemed to be just another one-dimensional stereotype of a religious hypocrite. At least he redeemed himself somewhat by helping Kata, and maybe we can assume that his eyes were opened to the moral consequences of his behavior.
I agree completely with you that he was just a one-dimensional stereotype.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”