Cold Relationship?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Hester3
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 508
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hester3.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Cold Relationship?

Post by Hester3 » 04 Jan 2020, 06:58

I honestly thought that the whole honeymoon would be revealed to be an undercover operation and that Kelly would turn out to be a cop or some kind of agent. There really was no connection between the two.

Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Seeds of Hope by Debbie Tremel

Post by Momlovesbooks » 04 Jan 2020, 09:42

This definitely seemed like a cold relationship to me. I just couldn’t connect with this couple. I would expect two people on their honeymoon to want to spend time together, while showing some affection towards each other.

Dragonsend
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 525
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Dragonsend » 04 Jan 2020, 16:07

There were very few inferences to their being newlyweds but the author did slip one or two in! :D
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:

Michelle_Cerone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-cerone.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Michelle_Cerone » 05 Jan 2020, 00:03

I don't think it was cold so much as it wasn't explored as much as I thought it would be. I was under the impression that this was more of a romance but the plot did not explore their relationship as much as the title suggested. It bothered me that Tom didn't rush right back to the hotel in the beginning and it was weird that Kelly was a little more upset about her honeymoon being hijacked.

rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: The Astrology of 2020 - The Dawning of a New World by Gahl Eden Sasson

Post by rumik » 06 Jan 2020, 20:28

AntonelaMaria wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 14:28
rumik wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 16:00
I have not read much of this book but reading some of the comments here, I definitely agree it seems like a cold relationship. Can't imagine real people acting like this on their honeymoon.
Do you want tl read the book. Or after reading all the comments you are put off?
I'm planning to give it a try sometime, since it was book of the month :D Hopefully the other elements will be good enough for me to look past the cold relationship.

Inkroverts
Currently Reading: Thinking fast and Slow
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Last Another Day by Baileigh Higgins

Post by Inkroverts » 06 Jan 2020, 22:38

This does seem strange to me. As a counter-argument to the comments saying that perhaps they like to do things independently, why would they choose to have a honeymoon in the first place if they want to just work on their own and get together later like any other day?

Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Nimisha_91 » 07 Jan 2020, 01:21

Oh good I'm not the only one..I was wondering the same thing throughout!

raikyuu
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Variations on the theme 'Galina Ustvolskaya - the last composer of the passing era' by Semyon Bokman

Post by raikyuu » 08 Jan 2020, 22:05

It would be nice to see how the relationship was developed before they were married, as this would give the justification whether their relationship was indeed cold or not. I would understand if they've been together for like 10 years before they were married.
-rk

jahagen
2019 Reading Goal: 55
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by jahagen » 09 Jan 2020, 17:16

They did seem a bit off the entire time to me as well. Though maybe not cold as just not well-integrated into the story. I can't explain the honeymoon independent adventures though. Usually when I think honeymoon, I think together. I don't imagine my honeymoon being spent apart from my spouse.
And the story could probably be written without them being romantically involved and only require a few changes and we would still pretty much get the same story.

Katie Canedy
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-canedy.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Katie Canedy » 10 Jan 2020, 00:49

Yeah, I honestly thought that Sharon and Steve had a better relationship than Tom and Kelly did. I get that they were stressed out with the events, but even the beginning of the book seems strange for newlyweds.
"There is no try, only do."- Yoda
"If you can dream it, you can do it."- Walt Disney
“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant,it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

Lunastella
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading: The Other Wife
Bookshelf Size: 1657
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunastella.html

Post by Lunastella » 10 Jan 2020, 20:51

Reynaa wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 08:52
Their relationship seems under-developed and overshadowed by the rest of the story. The author can write se romance, as we've seen with Sharon and Steve, though not a lot of time seems invested by the author to do the same for Tom and Kelly.
I agree. I don't think it's intentionally written as a cold or conflicting relationship; I think it's underdeveloped. Unfortunately, I've found this in other novels by Dorothy May Mercer. Sometimes she rushes the plot and we end up with a poor execution of some aspects.

DonnaKay
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: A Portrait of Mommy
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnakay.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by DonnaKay » 11 Jan 2020, 14:38

I totally agree. I can't understand how newly weds are moving on independently on their honeymoon. It sounds so cold.

Saraion
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Saraion » 12 Jan 2020, 03:03

I couldn't figure out the real honeymoon between them, the relationship was very cold. A great honeymoon shouldn't have that.

M_fritz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-fritz.html

Post by M_fritz » 15 Jan 2020, 00:36

No Definitely not a cold relationship. I got the impression tom and Kelly were a little older, and had been together for an extended period. I think their relationship is actually very healthy. They know each others likes and dislikes. Neither of them tries to force the other to do what they don't like, and they. Don't seem to need to be together all the time. Which is healthy! I am married and when I travel with him we discuss doing our own things separate from each other. We have different interests and different needs when traveling. I have to take an extended break after hiking. Hubby wants to go through a park or museum immediately after. I eventually say hon I could use some me time why don't we meet up later and do separate activities.

CYSON DOROPH
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by CYSON DOROPH » 16 Jan 2020, 11:53

That is one fact about this story I find surprising, but there is a sentence which said that Kelly had to wait for unspecified period of time to land Tom as a her husband. It may also be that Tom is as agile as a monkey. I also wondered why when Tom arrived back at their cottage, Kelly did not inform her husband about her ordeal.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”