Official Review: Before it Began by Thomas Zman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Official Review: Before it Began by Thomas Zman

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Before it Began" by Thomas Zman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A long time ago out in a galaxy far away lived a planet called Phoebious. The Phoebians were different in that they consumed sustenance by breathing in the air as well as excreting back into the air; surprisingly both men and women could give birth. Another difference was that everyone could communicate telepathically, but a few could also communicate verbally. As time evolved, the Phoebians divided into two groups: Theocrats and Technocrats. There was a silent and intense battle between these two groups. The Theocrats’ primary purpose was to keep religion alive in all aspects of life. The Technocrats weeded out religion in science and focused purely on gaining knowledge. Ultimately, Phoebious was destroyed. Phoebians prepared for this day of reckoning by fleeing their native planet on Mother Ships to find other planets for a new home. Earth was one of the two planets that was found. Is it possible that the Phoebians are responsible for the untold discoveries and wonders that exist on this Earth? Will science win? Will religion win? Or will both win? Only time will tell.

Before It Began by Thomas Zman is a religious science-fiction book and is the first of the Neuphobes Trilogy, but it can also be read as a standalone. The story begins with the introduction of Omegan, a character who is part of the Theocrat group and who knows his death is imminent. He hopes to convince a Technocrat to allow him and his family on one of the Mother Ships before Phoebious is destroyed, but he is declined passage. Omegan is ultimately killed and becomes an intellect soul who never dies but morphs into other characters. Through Omegan’s journey, Zman explores how the religion-science battle continues between the Theocrats and the Technocrats after they arrive on Earth. The most interesting concept that Zman explores is whether or not science can ever truly succeed without God.

What I liked the most was how Zman intertwined this story with various parts of the story from Genesis. He also included archeological discoveries. I think it takes a bold and creative mind to dare to imagine a world outside of the Bible. One other thing I admired was Zman’s response to a situation in the book. The Technocrats were performing experiments on humans throughout the book that were immoral. Speaking as the spiritual intellect, Zman wrote, “The torturous demise of any human would twist my soul and drive me to despairing depths of anguish, making me near ashamed I was part of a species that allowed this behavior.” I can relate to this statement when I think about the cruel science lab experiments and the frightening actions some humans are executing against other humans and animals.

What I liked the least was Zman’s writing style. It was heavy on telling with very little showing. I found it to be confusing and somewhat wordy. I had to read the first four or five chapters several times just to get a feel for what was happening. It did become easier after that, but I still had to re-read passages by mentally re-structuring the sentence or sentences until the very end of the book. Zman also used words that were college level and this felt out of place to me. While I only encountered a couple of words with missing letters, it didn’t feel like it was professionally edited. Not only was the text confusing and wordy, the Kindle edition was poorly formatted. Some of the paragraphs were divided into 2-line segments, and some words were italicized for no apparent reason.

I want to be able to give this book four stars because Zman covers serious ethical concepts that I think are worthy of discussion. I also thought the unexpected ending deserves four stars. However, I rate Before It Began 2 out of 4 stars because of the things I mentioned in the previous paragraph. While there were no profanity or erotic scenes, there was one scene with mild suggestive overtones. On the other hand, there were two scenarios with descriptive violence and gore. I would recommend this book for anyone 18 years old and over interested in reading a theological, science-fiction story.

Before it Began
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

Is it possible that the Phoebians are responsible for the untold discoveries and wonders that exist on this Earth? Will science win? Will religion win? Or will both win? Only time will tell.
These words piqued my interest in this book. I would love to know what wins in the end. I'm sorry it didn't meet the mark and for the poor editing. Awesome review 👍
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A kind of a theological, science-fiction story in the book "Before it Began" by Thomas Zman, which tells about a galaxy far away in which lived a planet called Phoebious. The Phoebians consumed sustenance by breathing in the air as well as excreting back into the air and unusually both men and women could give birth sounds intriguing.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

It's too bad this book contains some typo and grammatical errors. I love the theme and book cover though and the story does sound interesting. Thanks for an amazing review.
Chrystal Oaks

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

spluficvictory wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 14:25
Is it possible that the Phoebians are responsible for the untold discoveries and wonders that exist on this Earth? Will science win? Will religion win? Or will both win? Only time will tell.
These words piqued my interest in this book. I would love to know what wins in the end. I'm sorry it didn't meet the mark and for the poor editing. Awesome review 👍
Thank you for your thoughtful comment. :-)

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Chrystal Oaks

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

sanjus wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 02:33 A kind of a theological, science-fiction story in the book "Before it Began" by Thomas Zman, which tells about a galaxy far away in which lived a planet called Phoebious. The Phoebians consumed sustenance by breathing in the air as well as excreting back into the air and unusually both men and women could give birth sounds intriguing.
Thank you for the thoughtful comment. :-)

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Chrystal Oaks

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Falconcrest wrote: 10 Nov 2019, 00:40 It's too bad this book contains some typo and grammatical errors. I love the theme and book cover though and the story does sound interesting. Thanks for an amazing review.
The beautiful cover and unique title is what caught my attention and interested me in wanting to read it as well. Thank you for the thoughtful comment. :-)

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”