Official Review: Undead as a Doornail by William F. Aicher

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Official Review: Undead as a Doornail by William F. Aicher

Post by Jsovermyer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Undead as a Doornail" by William F. Aicher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Phoenix Bones can die, but he always comes back. Starting as a still-born baby, he miraculously drew breath, to the astonishment of his parents. They named him Phoenix because of his ability to rise from the ashes and live again. Because of events in his past, he has become a monster hunter. In Undead As A Doornail by William F. Aicher, the first in the Phoenix Bones series, he is investigating the disappearance of a teenage girl from her locked bedroom. Could it be vampires? Phoenix thinks so and is determined to find her.

This is a paranormal thriller with lots of action and danger. Can Phoenix keep from being killed again? This adventure takes him from the United States, to France, and finally to Bulgaria. You’ll learn the best ways to kill vampires, and why horror movies don’t always have it right. Be prepared for some violence, and as you would expect in a vampire story, lots of blood and gore. I must admit, I loved it and was thoroughly entertained.

This urban fantasy is told in a first-person narrative style by Phoenix himself. The tone is fresh and funny, as if he is telling his story to a friend. The story is peppered with modern-day references, such as Deadpool and Superman, Google and Altoids. When in the different countries, some of the characters speak in their native language. But there is always enough context to tell what they are saying, and Phoenix gets them to speak in English quickly enough.

Phoenix is a likeable character. He is confident in his skills, but never showy or boastful. He is honest and brave. When he meets Sofi LeRoux, who is searching for her missing sister, he at first thinks of leaving her behind but decides he must help her too. Sofi is an interesting character. She is beautiful, sexy, headstrong and knows how to fight. However, she is given a detailed personality and never becomes a cliché.

My favorite part of the story is the description of where you go when you die. Eitherspace is the dark place between life and death. When Phoenix dies, he finds himself there. But he has learned you can travel anywhere just by thinking of it through Eitherspace. A door appears leading to a dark corner or closet in your chosen place. That’s how monsters get into children’s closets or under their beds. That’s how young girls are taken from their locked bedrooms. This was an intriguing and frightening idea.

I recommend this book to all lovers of fantasy and horror. There is colorful language and some profanity, but I didn’t find it excessive. There is a bit of romance, but no graphic sex. Because of the violence and blood, this story is not recommended for children. I was completely engrossed in the story and read it quickly. There are a few grammatical errors, but not enough to take away my enjoyment of the story. I am rating Undead As A Doornail (Phoenix Bones: International Monster Hunter #1), by William F. Aicher, with 4 out of 4 stars. I can’t wait to read the next book in the series.

Undead as a Doornail
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

Wow. Awesome review. I have never been so hyped up about a book by the review as I am right now. I think I like the character, Phoenix Bones. And this story sounds interesting and I'm intrigued. I think I'll pick this up as my next read. Superb review 👌
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
Jsovermyer

Post by Jsovermyer »

spluficvictory wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 14:15 Wow. Awesome review. I have never been so hyped up about a book by the review as I am right now. I think I like the character, Phoenix Bones. And this story sounds interesting and I'm intrigued. I think I'll pick this up as my next read. Superb review 👌
Thanks so much for your kind words. I really liked this book and hope the author keeps writing more books in the series. The 2nd book has Werewolves.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

This review is outstanding you have me hook line and sinker. The elements you have put in your review are remarkable and you really did an outstanding job. I will definitely be reading this book. Thanks for the great review.
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

Jsovermyer wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 05:22
spluficvictory wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 14:15 Wow. Awesome review. I have never been so hyped up about a book by the review as I am right now. I think I like the character, Phoenix Bones. And this story sounds interesting and I'm intrigued. I think I'll pick this up as my next read. Superb review 👌
Thanks so much for your kind words. I really liked this book and hope the author keeps writing more books in the series. The 2nd book has Werewolves.
Werewolves? Awesome. I'm hooked
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
Jsovermyer

Post by Jsovermyer »

Falconcrest wrote: 10 Nov 2019, 00:11 This review is outstanding you have me hook line and sinker. The elements you have put in your review are remarkable and you really did an outstanding job. I will definitely be reading this book. Thanks for the great review.
Thanks so much for the kind remarks. I really enjoyed this book and I think you will too.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

While I don't tend to enjoy vampire stories, I like this one. It sounds intriguing and has just enough romance. Thanks for the review!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Okay. Eitherspace sounds interesting and I'd love to know more about how it affects the story and Phoenix's abilities.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

Wow, sounds intriguing. Not sure it's a book for me, but I enjoyed your review. Thanks for your great review.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

This definitely sounds like my kind of book. Fantasy with vampires too -- yum! And it's the first of a series, so there's more to come. Thanks for a terrific review. :D

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”