Official Review: The Nudge by Sonya Driver

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
prospero360
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 144
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero360.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Recovery ~ my colon story by Linda Crea

Official Review: The Nudge by Sonya Driver

Post by prospero360 » 14 Aug 2019, 02:58

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Nudge" by Sonya Driver.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are countless benefits of entrepreneurship, like financial gain, adding value to people around you, job satisfaction, and flexible working hours. This makes owning a business very alluring. However, there are a lot of hurdles to overcome in any field of entrepreneurship, which can make the journey to becoming a successful entrepreneur a very daunting task. This translates to most people maintaining their status as dreamers and not doers. In The Nudge, Sonya Driver, founder of Eco Tan, one of Australia’s award-winning leading organic beauty companies, and an experienced entrepreneur for just under a decade, gives us invaluable advice on what it takes to start and grow a successful business. 

I have had several ideas for businesses I would like to own, but I haven't been able to follow through with them as a result of the difficulties I have been presented with. On that note, picking up The Nudge was a no-brainer. I also hoped to learn something new or different from the numerous books on this topic that I have read.

The first thing I liked about this book was the difference in the author's writing style. The author employed an informal style of writing and used a very positive tone throughout the book, discussing the inspiration behind starting her business and encouraging readers to know their strengths and worth. While I read, it felt as if I was receiving advice from a friend standing right in front of me. However, there were several instances of the use of swear words, and while it made the book more fun for me, this may not appeal to a lot of readers. The book also relies heavily on the author's personal stories to help convey lessons. This will make it easy for readers to connect to the book, as aspiring entrepreneurs will see how the author overcame challenges that they also face.

Furthermore, the book features numerous pictures of the author, her products, and the people she has worked with. While I would have liked the number of pictures reduced and arranged better, they were fun to look at and were a welcome addition to the book overall. The Nudge touches a lot of areas involved with owning a business from how to know the right kind of business for you to taxes, and it offers good advice on navigating through these areas. Even though I have read a lot of the advice offered here in other books, the author includes a few fresh lessons on how to handle competition and imitators and the importance of having more than one sales channel.

The book is well-edited. I found only one minor error throughout the book. There also wasn't much to dislike about the book, but I would have liked reader involvement boosted by exercises after each chapter.

Overall, I found The Nudge very helpful, informative, and motivational. The book touches a number of areas business owners tend to take for granted. The book is also concise and easy to read. I rate The Nudge 3 out of 4 stars. While I liked the book and learned a few important things from it, I felt that the book could have been organized in a much better way. I would recommend this book to people interested in owning businesses. The occasional use of swear words means that the book isn't appropriate for a younger audience.

The Nudge
View: on Bookshelves

Nyambura Githui
2018 Reading Goal: 7
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 128
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: The End-Time Foretellers by Ran Weber

Post by Nyambura Githui » 16 Aug 2019, 02:20

Sounds like an interesting book. Sonya has done a really gpod job on it. I'm always looking out for books that encourage an aspiring entrepreneur like me. Thank you for the review.

InStoree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: Bright Lights, Dark Shadows: The Shadow Side of Celebrity and Fame by Mimi Amaral

Post by InStoree » 16 Aug 2019, 03:05

I'm sure the aspiring entrepreneur could benefit from all the valuable information that the author offers. I think the encouraging note and her friendly tone are an excellent approach to catch readers' attention. Awesome review! Thanks, prospero!
Through reading, I can travel from ancient times to the distant future, from factual events to... beyond imagination.

Through writing, I have the chance to shift into a chameleon.

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by LinaMueller » 16 Aug 2019, 03:16

I love books about entrepreneurship. It's even better when the author employs an informal style of writing. Thanks for the thorough review. :tiphat:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

OuKoyoo
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 7
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo » 16 Aug 2019, 12:29

I love books that are easy to read such as this one. I would love to read it because it sounds like a great source of inspiration to aspiring entrepreneurs. Thank you for the review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Happiness Now! A Guided Journey by Sonia Weyers

Post by kandscreeley » 16 Aug 2019, 17:17

I'm guessing this one is called The Nudge because it's supposed to nudge you into owning your own business or following your dreams. It's an interesting concept. I'm not in the position where I'm considering starting my own business, though. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

corinaelena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Music to My Ears (Pre-Release Beta Edition) by Heidi M. Simone

Post by corinaelena » 16 Aug 2019, 19:02

There are so many books about entrepreneurship these days, it's hard to know which one to choose. It's nice to read an honest review, I will give it a go.

Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 16 Aug 2019, 22:49

Well, it is an informative book. I would love to read it.
Nice review!

Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Dee_218 » 17 Aug 2019, 05:15

Seems like a lovely book. I would personally enjoy knowing more about taxes. Thank you for an informative review Prospero.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 81
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Our Time Will Come by Jean Gallant Marcoux

Post by kdstrack » 17 Aug 2019, 21:29

Starting a business can be overwhelming. I like how you describe this author's ideas and advice. This looks very informative and well researched. Thanks.

Nizar Ali Shah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nizar Ali Shah » 20 Aug 2019, 08:14

"The Nudge" by Sonya Driver.The author describes the countless benefits of entrepreneurship.The entrepreneurs create promote financial gain, create jobs opportunities for others and enhance the ability to stand on their own feet.Sonya further says that entrepreneurship is a challenging job and requires hard work to make it successful.
This is the best book for the aspiring entrepreneurs.Besides this, the tone of the author is inspiring and she has a lot of motivational skills in creating business entrepreneurship and this book encourages and provides sound information in the business entrepreneurship sector and specially useful for the young entrepreneurs

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”