Review by ArielJMartin -- Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ArielJMartin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arieljmartin.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Review by ArielJMartin -- Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by ArielJMartin » 10 Aug 2019, 15:09

[Following is a volunteer review of "Empowered" by Dominica Lumazar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At a young age, Dominica Lumazar decided she only wanted to work for herself. In her book, Empowered:The Business Owner’s Guide to Leadership & Success, Lumazar shares some of the lessons and tips she learned throughout her journey as a business owner and consultant. Her main goal is to help business owners that may be going through hard times or just need a little extra motivation and direction. But mostly she wants to encourage the reader to be open, vulnerable, and willing to learn. She breaks the book up into three easy to navigate parts: Leading for Success, Business Value, and Business Clarity.

In the first part, Leading for Success, the author discusses the fundamentals of leadership, knowing the company, and how necessary a work-life balance is to running a thriving business. In the second part, Business Value, the author shifts focus to the business and stresses the importance of valuable business relationships, successful branding and marketing, and she also details how to retain customers as well as building new customer relationships. In the final part, Business Clarity, the author dives deeper into individualized leadership styles and their effect on businesses. In this section she admits that sometimes it is necessary to stop and re-evaluate how your approach is received by your market, but encourages you not to back down.

I enjoyed how the author shared real life stories to help explain or justify the topic. Because of this it was easier to follow some of the topics I was not well versed in. She maintained an excellent flow throughout the book and was able to refresh on past topics seamlessly. Even though many of her lessons could be applied to real life scenarios outside of business (i.e. parenthood and general relationships), I felt like I was not the correct audience for the book, and this made it difficult for me to fully immerse myself.

I believe the target audience for this book is business owners that do not understand or are struggling to keep up with their market. The author stresses on the importance of being able to reach and identify the target market. She also reviews many aspects within business that could hinder one’s ability to reach the appropriate market, such as unclear boundaries, or not enough transparency within the business.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.I believe this book was professionally edited, as I did not come across any errors and the flow of reading was smooth. I gave it three stars because while I feel the author was clear and informative, I feel I did not gain much beyond a clearer understanding of marketing terms. I believe the book was not geared towards a small, non-retail business owner, because this I could not give it 4 stars. Lumazar was a strong cheerleader and I believe for the right reader there is a lot to be gained from her knowledge and expertise. I do feel more justified in how I understand my business after reading Empowered.

Empowered
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Brendan Donaghy
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 95
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: The Death Dealers by David Griffith

Post by Brendan Donaghy » 16 Aug 2019, 03:29

I'm not part of the target audience for this book and won't be reading it. I enjoyed your review of it, however. Many thanks!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”