Review by NIRUPAMA JHA -- A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NIRUPAMA JHA
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 120
Currently Reading: the McCoy before the fued
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nirupama-jha.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by NIRUPAMA JHA -- A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by NIRUPAMA JHA » 21 Jun 2019, 11:29

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Bloody Book" by Chris Bowen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have never felt so attached to any other book I have read till today. A Bloody Book, by Chris Bowen is an absolute fun ride of 162 pages. I enjoyed every bit of the story and actually felt like I am living in it. The story is narrated from the perspective of the lead character 'Maxx'. Maxx talks in detail about certain situations in his life and the way he faced them all. There came a point where I literally felt that I know him in person as a whole body with flesh and blood not as a fantasy character.

Maxx tells about his kindergarten days full of dreams, hopes and fantasies. His fantasy didn't last long, not even for few years as a harsh reality hit his conscience. Lack of money and unsound parenting influenced Maxx not to give a crap. Eventually his life took surreal turns and he finally got struck in the 'Reading Hell'. After years of being the part of the Reading Hell, things changed for Maxx on the arrival of a teacher 'Mr. Foxx'.Though Maxx hated him for his unique teaching methods but adored him at heart for his effort to present the reality of life.

The whole story revolves around the question Mr. Foxx asked 'When did you stop giving crap?' Together with all other kids in the classroom, Maxx rewinds his life story and stops at that particular moment when the world changed for him. I really admire the author's style of writing and building the characters. All the characters around Maxx are so funny and lost in their own issues. But every one of them feels much of an alive and active creation of the author. The author has mastered the art of gripping reader's attention with his way of story telling. From the fact that I have read it, I can assure you that it doesn't feel like reading a book instead you will feel like talking to Maxx and listening his story attentively. I felt so poor for Maxx through out the book that I couldn't stop crying.

Besides being funny and emotional, the book is too close to reality for some people. Though the book doesn't claim to inspire people but I have learnt a great deal from it. I am glad that I got the opportunity to review this book. I can read it couple of times again, without getting bored. I couldn't find any mistakes or typos in it. It is proficiently edited and the sequence in the book is exceptionally attractive.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I am very hopeful that young readers will love this book. All the characters are very funny and involving. From my point of view, readers are going to enjoy the character of Ricky Spellman a lot and they won't be able to stop laughing. And I really wish that it will inspire many more people like it did to me.

A Bloody Book
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 81
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Our Time Will Come by Jean Gallant Marcoux

Post by kdstrack » 27 Jun 2019, 15:34

I enjoyed your description of the author's writing style and his ability to evoke emotion in the reader. This sounds like an emotional book where the readers come alive. You have written an interesting and motivational review of this book. Thanks.

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading: Seven at Two Past Five
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by esp1975 » 02 Jul 2019, 10:35

Based on your review, I am adding this to my "want to read" list. It sounds like an amazing book.
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Wyland » 14 Jul 2019, 02:17

I learned a great deal from the book as well. Mainly in parental responsibility and how a lack of it builds resentment and anger in children, ultimately affecting their lives. Nice review.

diana lowery
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 47
Currently Reading: My grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery » 14 Jul 2019, 06:59

I also read the book and reviewed it. I did not enjoy it as much as you did, but I am glad that you were inspired by it. I did enjoy the character of Mr. Foxx very much.

allbooked+
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by allbooked+ » 15 Jul 2019, 09:30

Your review actually makes me want to read this book, the cover and title would not have appealed to me!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”