Official Review: Cool Guys Guide

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
prospero360
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 144
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero360.html
Latest Review: Prostate Cancer: Sheep or Wolf? by Murray Keith Wadsworth

Official Review: Cool Guys Guide

Post by prospero360 » 03 Jun 2019, 16:50

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cool Guys Guide" by Matthew McCahill & Spencer Burnett.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Think about how alive you feel the first time a love interest 'just happens' to casually touch your arm. What if you kept that aliveness throughout your relationship?" This question forms the basis of the book, The Cool Guy's Guide: The Game of Romance. The difficulties in dating women, from the point of expressing interest to keeping the spark alive throughout a long-term relationship, is something that a lot of guys, including myself, have experienced. In this book, the authors, Matthew McCahill and Spencer Burnett, aim to guide men through the different phases of dating, offering practical advice from their pool of knowledge gained through careful observation and successful dating experiences.

It may be easy for some readers to have the misconception that this book is for "players." However, the book aims to impart knowledge on winning at the one-woman game. Using a simple language and a positive tone, the authors waste no time in introducing the reader to the issue at hand. While humor is also employed in certain parts of the book to help calm the reader's nerves, as the topic can be scary at times, the authors expertly ensure that the element of seriousness isn't lost. This was the first thing that really captivated me about the book.

Furthermore, the book is very relatable. The issues addressed here are issues a lot of men have experienced with dating, and the authors give a step-by-step approach, detailing different stages of the dating process and how to go about getting them right. The numerous personal experiences included in the book were also very helpful. Seeing the authors' methods being applied in their dating lives helped me see how practical their methods can be.

Another aspect of the book that I liked was that it didn't refer to men and women as one-dimensional and recognized that people are different and dynamic. A lot is said about taking the time to understand your partner better, and this was refreshing to read. There were also interesting discussions on the importance of gifts and how to get the right gift.

In addition, the book is concise, including a few common questions that men have asked about their relationships. The answers to these questions are also included. The book is well edited. I found about five grammatical errors throughout the book, but they were all minor errors and didn't derail my reading at any point. There wasn't much to dislike about the book, but considering that the book lays a lot of emphasis on the role of sexual intercourse in relationships, I would have liked to get the authors' opinions on whether a relationship can thrive without sex.

Overall, the book was a very educative and fun read for me. I didn't read anything that was controversial to me. It's a very easy decision for me to settle for rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend the book to romantics who hope to find and sustain true love. Even though the book talks to men, women can also read it with their partners and offer some insight into what works for them. After all, communication is key in relationships.

Cool Guys Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!

ivana7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana7.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by ivana7 » 05 Jun 2019, 04:33

Actually, I'm intrigued by this book and the tips given.
Thank you for an amazing review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 277
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Dragon Sky by Laurie Woodward

Post by kandscreeley » 05 Jun 2019, 09:38

If this review is about keeping your love alive and winning that one woman, I think the title and cover should possibly be changed. I'm not the target audience for this one, but it sounds like it has some great information. Thanks for the review!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound by Richard L Haight

Post by Janelle Juncos » 05 Jun 2019, 09:42

I think all too often self-help books are aimed at women, even though men need a little inspiration too! Great review, it sounds like a good read.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Looking for Normal by Karen Harmon

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 05 Jun 2019, 10:14

This sounds like an interesting read with some great tips provided! I am far from an expert, but as a married woman with 2 kids, I believe communication is the most important ingredient for a successful relationship. Thanks for the engaging review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: An Unexpected Mess by Marie Washtag

Post by kdstrack » 05 Jun 2019, 14:49

The authors stress the importance of communication, but I would be interested in knowing their view on commitment and how long they have been in stable relationships. The comment about "numerous personal experiences" gives me pause! Thanks for the interesting review.

Janalyn101
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Do the Gods Hear Our Prayers?
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Knowing He's There by Charles Sacchetti

Post by Janalyn101 » 10 Jun 2019, 18:28

This book sounds like it would be very helpful to single men. It also sounds like it has very helpful advice all the way to find the right gift. This was a great in-depth review! :eusa-think:

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 10 Jun 2019, 19:02

For a moment I was worried about what this might contain but it seems like that worry was misplaced. It sounds like a good primer for the parts of dating that are universal and I hope men find some good information in it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

phills
Currently Reading: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by phills » 14 Jun 2019, 11:48

Cool Guys Guide by Matthew McCahill & Spencer Burnett
I will take this type of written as Romance all though the writer was not fully fluency in the area of pronouncing his words . Romance usually goes with emotional feelings, and that cute attitudes we extend to our partner when ever we are in love.. I think he made most of his write up with introductions..

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”