Official Review: Julia's Story by J Mary Masters

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Official Review: Julia's Story by J Mary Masters

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Julia's Story" by J Mary Masters.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

All I have to say is, “Nooooooo!” Not, “No, don’t read this book,” or, “No, it isn’t any good.” “Nooooooo,” because the book ended. It ended and so many plot lines are achingly unresolved. You just can’t do this to me J Mary Masters. I have to know what happens next! Forgive me for a second while I throw an unattractive grown-up fit. I want the next book and I want it now. Phew! At least there is a next book, two actually, and they are already released. Okay. I believe I can calm down now. Breathe, breathe, breathe. Let’s see, where was I? That’s right. I was getting ready to tell you all about the engaging book I just finished reading, Julia’s Story, Book 1 in the Belleville Family Series, by J Mary Masters.

So, here’s the scoop. The high-society Belleville family resides in Australia, and we are introduced to them during WWII. The culture described had many parallels to the antebellum period in the American South; fancy dresses for the well-to-do ladies, cattle farms instead of cotton plantations, house servants instead of slaves, and was complete with societal expectations shaping accepted public behavior. These expectations played a large role in fueling the conflict in this story.

Within the walls of Prior Place we meet Francis and Elizabeth Belleville’s family. Elizabeth is a strong-minded woman who is in charge, especially in regard to her children’s marriage prospects. Francis on the other hand is painted as a lazy, pampered man who drinks too much and never lives up to his full potential.

They have three mostly-grown children; Richard, William, and Julia. Richard, the oldest and favorite son unexpectedly joins the air force. He departs for training immediately after he drops the bomb that he plans to marry someone of lower-station who, of coarse, doesn’t meet with his mother’s approval, leaving a severe rift between himself and his parents. Will Richard’s love outlast the war? Meanwhile, with Richard away, William finds himself in the lime-light and uses this time to power-play his way up within the family ladder. When Richard returns, will William be willing to relinquish his new-found control? Julia, not long after her eighteenth birthday, falls in love with the American soldier, Dr. Philippe Duval. Knowing that her family would never approve, they keep their relationship a secret. Soon the American gets posted in Hawaii, and Julia finds her virtue in precarious standing. Will Julia and Philippe ever be reunited? As the tale unfolds and scandal ensues the Belleville family members must make decisions with consequences that could ruin their treasured reputation in society or tear their family apart.

I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this novel. It’s difficult for me to say what I loved the most, because multiple strengths synergistically worked together to make this an enjoyable read. The characters were well-developed and showed vulnerabilities. Elizabeth’s domineering ways could be easily imagined. Her actions were frustrating and yet at times a softer side of her character was shown and she was endearing. Julia experiences heartbreak, and this wasn’t overdramatized or underplayed. I really appreciated the way the author meted out information and used foreshadowing to build suspense. We know in advance that Julia and Dr. Philippe Duval face heartache, but we don’t know of what nature. Also, we find subtle clues to Francis’ on-going affair well before it is concretely revealed. Then, there was the cliffhanger ending. When I swiped left and found no more story, the plummet into panic I experienced told me that the author had done her job. I wanted more. And isn’t that a sign of good storytelling?

The only negative I found was a low number of editing errors. None of the errors were very distracting. The book still appeared to be professionally edited. I should point out to American readers that this book was written in Australia, and therefore adheres to different spelling and punctuation rules, which took a little bit of getting used to.

Due to the depth of characters, an intricately complex plot, and suspenseful writing, I happily give this book a 4 out of 4 rating. If you enjoy family dramas set in historical time periods with romance elements woven throughout, this one’s for you. If plot lines centered on character relationships don’t sound appealing, steer clear. This book was an amazing ride. Just be prepared for the sudden stop. Better yet, go ahead and snag a copy of the next one in the series. You’ll be happy you did.

Julia's Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ElizaBeth Adams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

You know it's a good book when you're sorry to see it end! I thoroughly enjoyed your review.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I can tell that you did not like being left hanging in the end on this one. That tells me this is a most captivating book. Thank you for your review- you certainly did the book justice!
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:

Cecilia_L wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 13:54 You know it's a good book when you're sorry to see it end! I thoroughly enjoyed your review.
Thank you! It was a fun book to review. :tiphat:
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:

Bluebird03 wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 16:33 I can tell that you did not like being left hanging in the end on this one. That tells me this is a most captivating book. Thank you for your review- you certainly did the book justice!
It was an engaging plot. Thank you. :)
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Your well-written review makes me want to read this story, even though it isn't normally the genre that I gravitate towards. Great review!
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:

Prisallen wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 15:16 Your well-written review makes me want to read this story, even though it isn't normally the genre that I gravitate towards. Great review!
Thank you. If you do read it, I hope you enjoy it. :techie-studyinggray:
SweetPee7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by SweetPee7 »

What a great thoroughly written and fun review. When the author leaves you begging for more, they have done their job. And based on your review, I'll have book number 2 at my bedside, probably along with number three, as well. LOL. World War II lends for many stories of loss and heartbreak. The view from Australia's shore will be very interesting. Again, thank you so much for your wonderful review.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

What an interesting and captivating way to start a review! I was caught unaware as I waited for the details of the worst book ever. Glad to read that you enjoyed reading this. I would also like to read it. Thanks a lot for your detailed and enthralling review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:

SweetPee7 wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 16:53 What a great thoroughly written and fun review. When the author leaves you begging for more, they have done their job. And based on your review, I'll have book number 2 at my bedside, probably along with number three, as well. LOL. World War II lends for many stories of loss and heartbreak. The view from Australia's shore will be very interesting. Again, thank you so much for your wonderful review.
It was interesting to read an Australian tale from this time period. I haven't read many books set there. Thanks for stopping by.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:

Kibetious wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 07:32 What an interesting and captivating way to start a review! I was caught unaware as I waited for the details of the worst book ever. Glad to read that you enjoyed reading this. I would also like to read it. Thanks a lot for your detailed and enthralling review.
If you do read it, I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for your kind words.

Return to “Historical Fiction”