Review by Renu G -- Of Illusions and Ink Spills

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Renu G
2019 Reading Goal: 365
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading: Great Americans on Stage
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: Honest Prayers From the Average Thirty-Something Woman by Chrisenda Pereida

Review by Renu G -- Of Illusions and Ink Spills

Post by Renu G » 11 Apr 2019, 08:36

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Illusions and Ink Spills" by Divya Hirani.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Of Illusions and Ink Spills is a collection of poems composed by Divya Hirani. I was attracted by the inky black and white cover art. The simple and abstract design matches perfectly with the content. Only 72 pages in length, the book is delightful to read and difficult to understand. Its beauty lies in its obscurity!

The author is a young professional and immigrant who feels lost in the crowd. Her writing flows from an invisible ache in her heart that is seasoned with time, till it spills out as ink turning into free verse poetry.

The poems vary in length and style. They speak of dreams, ambitions, the drama of life, illness, real life, and abstract concepts. They rhyme inconsistently and break into freedom, causing confusion now and then. One is left reflecting on what she means until one begins to read in between the lines. Most of her experiences emerge from the identity crisis caused by immigration. “Why do we prefer one border over the other?” she asks. Divya shares her beautiful moments with her mother. She deals with the sacred as well as profane realms.

There is a blend of medieval, modern, and contemporary themes. Every season brings a different mood. “Let the words take shape as they will,” she reminds the reader. The book ends abruptly, leaving loose ends. What is the poet seeking to convey, if at all?

Writing poems seems to be a powerful inner healing tool for this author. The chaos seeks to turn into a design. Some readers may think her poems make little sense. I feel they lack emotion. The content is neither bitter nor sour nor sweet. It is neither salty nor spicy. It is tasteless ink. The reading is delightful, but I did not experience any strong emotion. Hence, I cannot state what I liked or disliked most about the book. I find it difficult to understand the writer. It is difficult to express my opinion in suitable words.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Divya has the courage to publish her thoughts in her own words. She follows her own grammatical rules. This is normal in poetry. Hence, I cannot comment on whether it is professionally edited. I found only one grammatical error. Philosophers and persons with a poetic outlook will like it. It is suitable for all age groups. Artists may also like to read this collection of poems.

Of Illusions and Ink Spills
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Renu G's review? Post a comment saying so!

Ellylion
Favorite Book: Angelology
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Ellylion » 17 Apr 2019, 09:49

Excellent and honest review! I love poetry very much and am excited to learn that these poems correspond to the artistic view of things. Sometimes poetry doesn't need to express anything, it just exists, I believe these collection of poems is of this kind!

diana lowery
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Currently Reading: Where the Crawdads Sing
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery » 17 Apr 2019, 10:07

"It is tasteless ink" What a great metaphor for a collection of emotionless poetry! Your review was poetic! Good Job!!

chiefsimplex
2019 Reading Goal: 80
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by chiefsimplex » 18 Apr 2019, 05:11

I am impressed by Divya's intentions. Indeed words can be enjoyed in their own right apart from meaning, in fact, that is the glory of poetry. Great review!
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading: Crimson and Clover
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Smitty's Calling Card by B.R. Stateham

Post by Prisallen » 18 Apr 2019, 08:06

It's too bad this book didn't reveal emotion to you which is what poetry is all about, in my mind at least. Thanks for a wonderful review!

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: The Three Witches and the Three Headed Dagger
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 18 Apr 2019, 08:18

Tasteless ink is an interesting turn of phrase. I'd like to see how the writer achieves this so I might check it out.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”