Official Review: Sinister Summer: Cars, Cruisers, and Clo...

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Sleepwalker
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Devil's Eclipse by Christopher Williams
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Sinister Summer: Cars, Cruisers, and Clo...

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sinister Summer: Cars, Cruisers, and Close Calls" by C.A. Hartnell.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sinister Summer: Cars, Cruisers, and Close Calls is the second book of C.A. Hartnell's series, The 1950s Adventures of Pete and Carol Ann. The book follows eleven-year-old Carol Ann and her best friend, Pete, as the two have lots of summer adventures: A patriotic parade, a surfing trip, a horseback-riding lesson, and a Luau are just some of the exciting events of the summer. All the while, Carol Ann and Pete must steer clear of Butch, who seems to want to start trouble, and Mary Jane, Pete’s older sister who never has a nice thing to say.

This book is geared towards lower-middle-grade readers, approximately eight to twelve years old. The themes throughout the book are appropriate for the intended audience, and the writing isn’t overly complex. The author deftly adds some higher-grade vocabulary words and defines them through the narrator’s love of the dictionary. Additionally, Carol Ann regularly refers to Bible quotes, which she keeps record of in her handy pocket notebook. These quotes are smoothly integrated into the story and add a sweet touch to the character’s innocent persona.

However, there is a major problem with the plot of Sinister Summer: there isn’t one. The book consists of 12 chapters, and each chapter reads like a separate vignette of events that happened over the course of Carol Ann’s summer in 1955. Although these stories are told in chronological order, there is no overarching event pushing the story along. There are minor subplots, one about Carol Ann’s great aunt and uncle traveling along route 66 and another about someone starting fires in the neighborhood, but these arcs are vague and only briefly mentioned throughout the chapters. Unfortunately, this lack of suspenseful storytelling is likely to bore readers at the lower-middle-grade level. Further, the few “sinister” events that take place throughout the chapters are all easily resolved, and the resolutions require little effort on the part of the main characters.

In addition to the lack of plotting, there are many references made in the narrative that will fail to resonate with the target readership. This book is set in the 1950s, and the author regularly refers to popular songs and figures. It is unlikely that middle-grade readers will know names like Patty Page, Perry Como, and Chuck Berry, which are only a few of the icons mentioned. Moreover, the author breaks a cardinal rule for writing middle-grade chapter books. The narrative is told through Carol Ann’s first-person perspective, but occasionally the author’s adult voice seeps through. It becomes clear that the stories are the author’s own experiences, and she is attempting to retell events through an 11-year-old’s point of view, like when Carol Ann mentions that a certain song will always remind her of events that just took place.

I had high hopes for Sinister Summer; some of the best books I’ve ever read were middle-grade novels. Sadly, the lack of a true story arc and the author’s failure to capture the perspective of a middle-grade narrator made Sinister Summer relatively lackluster. I don’t think many young readers will be captivated by this book, and most probably won’t understand the majority of the references made in the story, so I’m rating this book 2 out of 4 stars. I decided against a lower rating because the book is well written. Some adults with ties to the 1950s may enjoy reading this book to young children and connecting it to stories from their own pasts.

Sinister Summer: Cars, Cruisers, and Close Calls
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

I like the books alliterating title, and the cover. Shame about the plot, or lack thereof. Great review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Create the Life You Want by Raymond P. Gerson

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a good book about 1950s, but, of course, young readers won't know anything about the stars of those years. Too bad the plot isn't well developed.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by kandscreeley »

I completely understand about the references to artists and things from the 50s. Without doing a lot of research, kids won't understand that. It seems like a cute idea, but it needs something else to bring it together. Thanks for your thoughts.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It seems like the author did not take the target audience's desires/knowledge level into account when writing this book, which is such a pity. I hope Hartnell takes your suggestions to heart - it'll make for a better book. Thanks for the review! (:
kdstrack
2021 Reading Goal: 105
Currently Reading: The Lutheran Ladies' Circle
Bookshelf Size: 465
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Unethical by Marla L. Anderson

Post by kdstrack »

It seems like a unique way to tell her own story. You have insightful comments about the book's content and the writing level for the target audience. Very interesting review. Thanks.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: President's Day by Stephen A. Werbel, Ph.D.

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

Saturating readers with an older time period can be a good way to learn about it. I could see a teacher giving students the task of researching the various stars, each student or small group being responsible for one or two people, and then they could report back to the whole class to share what they learned. It is a shame about the plot though. Thanks for your thorough review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”