Review by Shielasshi_93 -- The Witch of Endor: Vampires

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shielasshi_93
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shielasshi-93.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Review by Shielasshi_93 -- The Witch of Endor: Vampires

Post by Shielasshi_93 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Witch of Endor: Vampires" by RK Wheeler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lilith is unlike others. She can see and converse with the dead, besides she can also perform magic. Consequently, because of these abilities, rumors of a young witch start to spread in their small town that leads her family to run away from Nazareth to Endor. When her parents die, she finally embraces her abilities and becomes a fortuneteller and seller of amulets and charms. In Endor, she meets Lamech who haphazardly slays his great grandfather Cain, son of Adam and Eve, brother and murderer of Abel, and bearer of God's curse. Upon killing Cain Lamech now shoulders the curse of immortality and bloodlust, he then becomes the first and oldest vampire. Lilith and Lamech eventually fall in love with each other, and Lilith becomes the first woman that Lamech turns into a vampire, their union is blessed with an offspring. However, when their child sees the world, they cannot fathom what they perceive. The child bears the upper body of a human and lower body of a serpent, rather than hair, the baby's head holds snakes, her eyes are yellow with slanted pupils. They call her Medusa.

They flee from Endor when King David finds out about the Magician's Village. They go on board a ship bound to Greece at night. On one hand, the Captain of the ship cannot contain his curiosity and malice to the family, so he summons his crew and they attack Lamech and Lilith. A fight arises between the crew and the couple, and fire breaks out on the ship, which injures and damages Lilith, whereas Lamech discovers himself drifting away from his charming wife. Before long, they set off on separate journeys, yet they encounter one villain: Maldivar, a vampire who can mysteriously face the radiant and burning sun.

The Witch of Endor: Vampires mirrors R.K Wheeler's interest in religion, myths, folklore, and legends. This book is brilliantly written and enticing. What's more, the storyline is rich and compact with stories from the Bible, Greek Mythology, Norse Mythology, and Urban folklore including vampires and werewolves. 

The chance of acquiring a book that features characters from the Bible like Cain and Lamech, associated with Medusa, Paleus, Perseus, and Zeus of the Greek Mythology is quite slim, which I believe is the reason that sets this book apart from the other vampire series. On top of that, the proposition of the author of what happens to Cain after God curses him, and Lamech’s regrettable fate as a vampire is provocative, and as a Christian, unthinkable. I admire that the author offers a fresh spin on Medusa’s character. We all know that Medusa and her Gorgon sisters, Sthenno and Euryale are the daughters of Phorcys and Ceto, while in this book their parents are both vampires. Moreover, as a poetry lover, I fancy the brief poems before each chapter that tells about the past and foreshadows the things that are about to happen.

The element that I like the best in this book is how it portrays Lilith not only as a sensual, fierce woman but also an affectionate and nurturing mother to her strange children. In the mainstream vampire romance books and movies, the female lead characters oftentimes are dependent on the predominant male characters. On the contrary, Lilith carries her own magical ability and can stand alone, not to mention that she leads her own coven. This book displays the unconditional love a mother endows her child no matter how beautiful or foreign her child looks.

All in all, I really had a great time devouring this book, and I relish on its wild and great storyline and plot. There is not a thing that I dislike about in this book. In this fashion, I will award this a rating of 4 out of 4. I commend the author’s ability to weave and intertwine diverse stories, legends, and prominent characters smoothly and effectively. At long last, I greatly recommend this book to people who fancy vampire romance stories, and those who appreciate fantasy, mystery and adventure novels.

The Witch of Endor: Vampires
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shielasshi_93's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to ‚ÄúVolunteer Reviews‚ÄĚ