Overall rating and opinion of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
solanaphillip800
Favorite Book: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-solanaphillip800.html
Latest Review: The Not So Great American Novel by James E. Doucette

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo

Post by solanaphillip800 »

I haven't read the book. so I can't judge
Georgialouise
Currently Reading: The Watchmaker’s Doctor
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgialouise.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Georgialouise »

I have this book on my personal TBR list and I was not really that sure about reading it or not. However, after having read some of the comments on this thread, I will be giving this book a go as soon as I can. :)
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

I have not read the book but the reviews are intriguing. Usually not into science fiction or in the future settings. May not be my cup of tea, but happy reading to all that enjoy this genre.
asmalle7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by asmalle7 »

I have been interested in reading this book just from seeing a few quick reviews online. Seeing everyone's positive reviews here make me even more excited to start reading this book ASAP!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

cpru68 wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 12:25 I gave this a 3 out of 4 stars in my review because of typos I found throughout. That was the only flaw in the entire book for me. I enjoyed the characters and the plot thoroughly. I would recommend this to others as the author is a good writer and the book kept my attention. It is full of twists and turns as the world has been turned upside down by what seemed to be a good idea by giving corporations the ability to run things versus an elected government. The author did not leave one stone unturned when it came to every institution from family to politics and consumerism. I did not find anything about the book I did not like, and those punctuation errors are an easy fix.
I agree, the errors in the book were difficult to overlook. The storyline was enough to get past the average editing, but I think a good proofread would be super beneficial.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

kdstrack wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 10:08 I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed Sliver, Kelly and Rex. Fellrock was also well portrayed. I also enjoyed the sentiments expressed by citizens living in a controlled society.

I did not like the length newspaper sections. Although necessary to fill in the backstory, they got to be a bit too long. I was also frustrated with the punctuation errors.
I like the term "controlled society". I think that quite covers the idea of how people are living. The people aren't necessarily free, they're unfree. Thanks kdstrack, I may use that term more often :wink:
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
sanykip
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanykip.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by sanykip »

i haven't read the book yet, but based on the reviews i'm currently headed to the amazon
Mumanyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumanyi.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by Mumanyi »

Not read the book yet, but the reviews seem interesting. Currently, I'm still reviewing a book but this will be next on the list
Power Onyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-power-onyango.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Power Onyango »

The themes in the novel are well balanced and discussed. Silver's character was interesting and inspiring. I would gladly give the book a rating of 4 out 4 stars.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Judging from the official review and the several comments that I have gone through, World, Incorporated seems to be a perfect combination of dystopia and action thriller along with some well-developed characters. Looking forward to reading it.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

I have about 60-80 pages left and for me, it's a 4 star book. The news articles bringing us up to speed on the society were interesting, but they were a massive block of data, breaking up the story. I didn't have much of an issue with them, but I think they bug some people. It would have been nice though to break them up into 3 or 4 chapters instead of 2.

The society is interesting to think about. It is funny how the corporations tackle issues like climate change and health care because it makes sense to their bottom lines...on the other hand, since it's the companies reporting on these things, we don't know if they really did help reverse global warming, or if it's just propaganda.
Taytay15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taytay15.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Taytay15 »

I loved reading this book! My favorite part was Sliver explaining why he wanted to kill the CEO of Multinational. He was talking about his family from before he was Sliver, when he was called Theodore Rodgers. My least favorite part was when Sliver found out that Rockeffeller was the one who had sent the murderous sym-bionic after him. And possibly was the who had tortured him. I was not a fan of the supercorporation idea, a world run by business, no thank you. I think this book would be good for anyone who likes action and adventure. I would definitely rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars.
Cathaynes
Favorite Book: When No One Else Believed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65

Post by Cathaynes »

World, Incorporated
by Tom Gariffo

The story started strong, and I loved how well-detailed action scenes were written; but, the supporting characters needed a bit more depth. Stories about the future are interesting, with all the possibility of those things really could happen. I love Thrillers, and I can get interested in reading them; but, this book just did not do it for me.
The plot reminds me a lot of the movie “The Bourn Identity”, and I really did not like that movie; it seemed over done, and un-realistic. Some of the things could be based on real events.... The sci-fi and action, combination made it have an interesting twist; but, the characters just made it lose interest for me.
The book over all was written well, with proper grammar. I just cannot give a good review, with only a rating of 2 out of 4 stars.
Nnamdi Sam
Currently Reading: Ripcord Recovery
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Nnamdi Sam »

I absolutely love this book.I love how well-detailed the action scenes were.
jmh4206
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jmh4206 »

As someone who isn't very technologically inclined, the way the author wrote the book was as if you could actually see all of the scenes playing out and understand what was happening. It was a very fast paced novel, the first pages jumping right into the story. A great read!

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”