Review by erin_mcmullen -- Illustrated Short Fiction of ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
erin_mcmullen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-mcmullen.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Review by erin_mcmullen -- Illustrated Short Fiction of ...

Post by erin_mcmullen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 is a bunch of short fictional stories put into one book. The stories don't relate at all but they are all very good. The first story takes place in 1959 when a girl gets pregnant as a teen. The mother does not approve and wants her daughter to get an abortion. She ends up going out of town and staying with nuns and giving birth to her baby. When her baby is born she finds out that he is disabled. The rest of the story is about how she handles the baby.

The second short story in this book is about a guy whose wife and step daughter just died and he goes to stay with his sister in law so that he can go to the funeral. While he is there he meets his stepdaughter's roommate and gets to know her. There are many more stories in this book; all of them are just as intriguing as the first two.

I really liked this book because it is very different then most books I have read. I liked that there are several different short stories all put together as one book. I also liked the variety of the stories, there were some sad stories, some happy stories, and there were even some comic short stories. I liked that there was an illustration before each story because it gave you an idea of what the story was about.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I liked everything about the book. I didn’t find any grammar mistakes, it gave a variety of stories to keep people interested, and the illustrations really help people picture the story in their head. Many people like different kinds of books so the variety of stories will help attract a variety of people to read the book. I think that if the author wrote more books like this one it would become a more popular way of writing books.

I would recommend this book to young adults or teenagers because you get several stories in one book, and it can keep you entertained for longer than other books would. I would recommend this book to people who don’t like to read that much because the short stories are about ten pages each, so you could finish one story very quick and move onto the next story.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like erin_mcmullen's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amberlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Amberlily »

Sometimes it's refreshing to take a break from longer novels and read something like this where you can read a full story and not be afraid to put the book down for a while. You make the stories sound like something of quality with interesting plots. I might give this one a try at some point. Good work!
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I see that you loved the book and all the stories, did you, perhaps, understand "the bear"? It's by far my least favorite story because I couldn't understand it.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

I really enjoyed this book. The stories were short, but all of them have profound meaning that not easy to find in many other books. Beautiful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”