Review by Asavela -- Barbra Streisand: On the Couch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Asavela
Favorite Book: Island Games
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asavela.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Review by Asavela -- Barbra Streisand: On the Couch

Post by Asavela »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Barbra Streisand: On the Couch" by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book got me interested from the beginning. This is a number of therapy sessions of Barba with Dr.Darcy Dale. Barba has been going through different psychotherapy all her life, she heard the amazing outcome with Dr.Darcy and decided to try her. Will she be able to fix Barba.

Barba doesn't take a no for an answer and wants everything to go her way. She finds herself opening up to her. I found myself falling in love with Barba and her human side. She is a young girl from a small town who lost her dad from the young age. She went through what most of us go through, she had to deal with bullying at school. I liked how she tells her story with a bit of humor to keep you interested in reading more.

She made it through it all. She is a strong person and she really cares about her music career. She couldn't risk getting a nose job because of her music career. Her mother way of dealing with pain was by talking down to her making her feel bad about herself. She used that negativity to push her self forward to be a big star. No part of this book was uninteresting to me I was so wrapped in it. The therapy sessions are paying off. Barba is starting to realize that her mother loved her she was just dealing with trauma. People deal with trauma in different ways she also lost a husband.

What I liked most about the book is that it is written well, it kept everything interesting with Barba witty sense of humor. I found myself laughing and crying at the same time. She is also a great storyteller. It is so interesting to find out about her life. She is a human too, she may be a big star but she has the same insecurities we all have. I used to think physiotherapy was a waste of money but this book changed my mind. We all need help sometimes and sometimes it hard to speak to friends and family. It may come hardy. It a beautiful story to get you to know more about the life of this icon.

I rate this book 4 out of 4. It is well written and easy to follow. I found no errors in the book which made it enjoyable. Every Barba fan would enjoy this book. The book is most suitable for adults and also a young adult.

Barbra Streisand: On the Couch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Asavela's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I find Barba as a very interesting strong woman, who turns negativity into something that inspires her to take her music career to the next level. I would also like to know what people talk about in therapy. Thanks for the honest review.
Asavela

Post by Asavela »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 15:01 I find Barba as a very interesting strong woman, who turns negativity into something that inspires her to take her music career to the next level. I would also like to know what people talk about in therapy. Thanks for the honest review.
Thank you for commenting
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I love your analysis, but unfortunately, an account of therapy sessions with a psychologist doesn't suit my taste.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Asavela

Post by Asavela »

Fuzaila wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 09:07 I love your analysis, but unfortunately, an account of therapy sessions with a psychologist doesn't suit my taste.
I hear, thanks for commenting.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I'm interested in any book with Barbra in it. Hopefully, it's as good as you say it is. Thank you for the review.
Asavela

Post by Asavela »

prospero360 wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 07:12 I'm interested in any book with Barbra in it. Hopefully, it's as good as you say it is. Thank you for the review.
Thank you for commenting.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for the review! I've never really been interested in Barbra Streisand (probably because I'm too young to know about her much), but you've made me want to read this book. :lol:
Asavela

Post by Asavela »

Allyseria wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 19:26 Thank you for the review! I've never really been interested in Barbra Streisand (probably because I'm too young to know about her much), but you've made me want to read this book. :lol:
Thank you, you will enjoy it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”