Official Review: Good Night,See You tomorrow, I Love You

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Good Night,See You tomorrow, I Love You

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Good Night,See You tomorrow, I Love You" by Bebe Proctor.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Good Night, See You Tomorrow, I Love You: Would you want to hear your child or spouse tell you these sweet lines every night? The author’s firstborn son and husband did!

The book Good Night, See You Tomorrow, I Love You is an autobiography by Bebe Proctor, now over 70 years old. With that heartwarming message in mind, the reader could only expect a touching story. And the reader will not be disappointed.

Bebe was born in Appalachia. They were so poor that she thought her cousins who had their fill of Campbell’s chicken noodle soup were rich. At sixteen, she married twenty-year-old Alvin who was then running his father’s gas station. With determination and a strong faith in God’s sustaining mercy, Bebe completed college and many other vocational courses. Her husband Alvin who couldn’t read or write when they got married eventually got his GED and learned to love reading. They raised two boys who turned out to be successful businessmen, married wonderful women, and produced seven children, all well-educated and serving God in various ways. The miracles that she experienced, from healing to material provision and heavenly protection, make the reader feel good. Bebe’s faith remained strong even when she was afflicted with spasmodic torticollis so painful she could not sleep or when she took care of Alvin after he was paralyzed after a bad fall. While not exactly a rags-to-riches story, Bebe’s life inspires, invites not a few tears, and tickles the funny bone.

Bebe is a witty storyteller. The book has a lighthearted tone throughout, even amidst the gas blast that threatens to blow up their gas station, the visit of the Hells Angels, and the myriad health issues that befall her and her family members. Her tales involving different animals (domesticated pets and deadly pests alike) are hilarious. Several family photos are included in the book, further enlivening the story and its characters. Bebe says, “I wanted to share my story to let others know that we are stronger than we think and we can accomplish anything with God's help.” That goal she manages successfully.

Despite the many uplifting stories, I give the book only 2 out of 4 stars. The editing is a problem, as there are incorrect words (“stint” for “stent” and “laid” for “lay” are two), misused punctuation, and misspellings. But the greater issue is in how the book is organized, especially once Bebe gets married. The stories jump from one timeframe to another, thereby confusing the reader. The chapters take the names of the States that they lived in. But as the family moves often (and back and forth, too) and there is a huge cast of characters, it is difficult for the reader to follow along. In the midst of all the storytelling, Bebe forgets to mention Alvin’s surname. (Maybe she did, but I didn’t catch it in the confusion.)

I suggest some improvements to make the book really stand out. A family tree could be drawn to clarify who’s who. The stories could be organized by year and by family member. A timeline could be added to show where they lived and when. And of course, an editor’s participation would be most welcome.

This book will be enjoyed by readers who like true stories of ordinary lives. Sick people temporarily confined to bed will conquer boredom with Bebe’s humor. Those who care for disabled family members will find Bebe’s example encouraging.

Bebe shares many wonderful lessons with her life story. Family is a wonderful gift; be grateful for yours. God is only a prayer away; reach out. Count your blessings; they always outnumber the trials. And remember to tell those you love: “I love you!” And mean it.

Good Night,See You tomorrow, I Love You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for your review. It is such a pity about the editing problems, as it sounds like a very uplifting book to read. I agree with you - family is a special and wonderful gift!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

This book reminds me of when I was little and I was kind of obsessed with making sure that where ever I was spending the night whether it be with my mom or grandma that when I said good night I always said see you in the morning I love you, and I wanted them to say see you in the morning back and if they didn't I would say it again until they did. I was afraid that if they didn't say it that I wouldn't see them in the morning. It's odd I haven't thought of that in ages. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think in non-fiction books such as this, organization is sometimes the hardest part. It's more of a stream of conscience rather than any real flow. It sounds like the author has a lot to teach us, but the book needs a good editing before it can really go out to the masses. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

You sparked my interest about Bebe's animal stories. It's amazing how much havoc can be created by pets and critters.
This sounds like it could be a great book for those who like inspirational stories if it were just cleaned up a bit.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Wow! This sounds like an amazing book, but with the errors you mentioned, I think I would find it difficult to get through. I hope the author makes the changes necessary because it is such a shame to see a wonderful book be discounted for easy to fix errors. I like books of this genre for their inspiration. Great job on this review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

A heart-warming review for a heart-warming book. This flows so well. I hope this book gets the professional editing it deserves to stand out even more.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review. The book does sound really uplifting and I think I would have enjoyed if it wasn't for the editing problem. That spoils it for me because it really pulls me out of the book when there are spelling and grammatical errors :cry:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like such a sweet book with a lovely title. It's really a shame about the editing issues. Thank you for your thorough review.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

It's disappointing that an inspirational book about family would be so confusing with how characters were written. I think the idea of a family tree is great feedback for the author. Thank you for a detailed and good review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Corhan2 wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 01:48 Thanks for your review. It is such a pity about the editing problems, as it sounds like a very uplifting book to read. I agree with you - family is a special and wonderful gift!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I don't regret spending time with Bebe and her family and animals. Her life and faith are inspiring.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

AmySmiles wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 07:00 This book reminds me of when I was little and I was kind of obsessed with making sure that where ever I was spending the night whether it be with my mom or grandma that when I said good night I always said see you in the morning I love you, and I wanted them to say see you in the morning back and if they didn't I would say it again until they did. I was afraid that if they didn't say it that I wouldn't see them in the morning. It's odd I haven't thought of that in ages. Thanks for the review.
Wow, you could have written this book, AmySmiles! I always admire people who are comfortable saying "I love you" to their loved ones. We all should. While actions speak louder than words, those three words hold magic.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kandscreeley wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 07:41 I think in non-fiction books such as this, organization is sometimes the hardest part. It's more of a stream of conscience rather than any real flow. It sounds like the author has a lot to teach us, but the book needs a good editing before it can really go out to the masses. Thanks!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Sarah! I do wish Bebe can have the book reorganized so the story can flow better. She has wonderful experiences to share.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kfwilson6 wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 08:23 You sparked my interest about Bebe's animal stories. It's amazing how much havoc can be created by pets and critters.
This sounds like it could be a great book for those who like inspirational stories if it were just cleaned up a bit.
Yes, Bebe shares a lot of exciting encounters with animals. In their little shack behind the gas station, she had a cat with kittens in the bathroom and a goat in the kitchen, not to mention the German Shepherd (newly freed from ticks) in the bedroom.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

cpru68 wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 11:33 Wow! This sounds like an amazing book, but with the errors you mentioned, I think I would find it difficult to get through. I hope the author makes the changes necessary because it is such a shame to see a wonderful book be discounted for easy to fix errors. I like books of this genre for their inspiration. Great job on this review.
Thanks for the kind words!

Bebe has unique stories to tell. Despite the poor organization of the book, I enjoyed her tales. I am sure the book will shine with the right polishing.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”