Official Review: Caca Pasa by J E Ted Thayer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Official Review: Caca Pasa by J E Ted Thayer

Post by NadineTimes10 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Caca Pasa" by J E Ted Thayer.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pain plays a myriad of roles in the human experience, and it shows up in numerous ways. Heartache can be full of life lessons, while depicting physical pain has been a convention of comedy for countless generations. In his memoir, Caca Pasa: Historias de un Hombre Viejo (An Old Man’s Stories), author J E Ted Thayer recounts events of his life, tying them together with a universal subject: pain.

The brief and various accounts in this memoir range from comical to disturbing, from commonplace to poignant. Thayer relates his down-to-earth stories with humor, charm, and candor. The writing style is both old-fashioned and contemporary, appropriate for a memoir spanning the author’s childhood to his senior years. As the book travels through different decades, it gives the reader diverse, nostalgic slices of Americana.

The author includes his family, friends, peers, coworkers, and even his pets in his accounts. There is some grisly material, substance use, and graphic medical information, but the author keeps it to a minimum. He has a tendency to veer away from his topics at times. Yet, he often acknowledges when he has digressed and returns to the subject at hand.

In some of the stories, however, pain is only a minor or passing theme. Also, here and there, I did not catch any reference or impression of pain at all. Some of the accounts seem to lack a particular sense of direction. Hence, there may be points where the author is simply reminiscing about his past.

On a more technical note, the memoir would benefit from professional editing. The author admits to his “strange punctuation and odd phrasing” in the Preface. Still, the writing ultimately suffers from the number of errors and inconsistencies throughout the book. Some of the dialogue runs together, instead of having separate paragraphs for each speaker, and there are many capitalization mistakes. The author sometimes writes out the time of day incorrectly, such as “2:00 o’clock.” He frequently hyphenates words that do not require hyphens, such as “week-end,” “our-selves,” and “no-where.” The vast overuse of hyphens may be the book’s most distracting practical weakness.

Even with its flaws, this memoir is transparent, relatable, and full of personality. Therefore, I give Caca Pasa: Historias de un Hombre Viejo a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. I’d recommend it to memoir fans who can enjoy casual reading, despite the errors. Whether or not the author intends to pursue commercial publication, thorough editing would help the book to appeal to a wider audience.

Caca Pasa
View: on Bookshelves

Like NadineTimes10's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Thanks for the through review. I am not interested in this book currently with its grammatical errors and its lack of direction.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
prhyme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prhyme.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by prhyme »

I does not offer any thrill to me.Memoirs, no matter how tragic or relatable does not offer that kick that I ever relish in fiction
"Lock up your libraries if you like;but there is no gate,no lock,no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."
-Virginia Woolf
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. I don't know that I've seen a memoir that has a theme of pain. It sounds interesting, but the editing issues would definitely be distracting. I think I'll wait to pick this one up until there's been another round of proofreading. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I wasn't expecting this type of memoir/autbiography based on the cover. I'm not sure I would be able to enjoy a book with such transparent errors and veering off subject. Thank you for your honest review :)
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

SABRADLEY wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 15:01 I wasn't expecting this type of memoir/autbiography based on the cover. I'm not sure I would be able to enjoy a book with such transparent errors and veering off subject. Thank you for your honest review :)
Yes, I wouldn't have been able to tell much by the cover either. :) It really seems to be a casual, DIY project all around, perhaps not a book that's meant to be sold, but maybe it will be officially polished up one day.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

He has a tendency to veer away from his topics at times. Yet, he often acknowledges when he has digressed and returns to the subject at hand.
Thayer reminds me of my grandpa. He always does that. He starts saying something, then suddenly veers away, and some time later he asks: "What was I saying first?" It's just hilarious.

On the other hand, it seems there is a lot of potential in this memoir if the author writes with humor and candor. Too bad about the numerous errors. I'll wait for them to be fixed. Thanks for the review, though!

P.S. Is the book written in Spanish?
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Kalin Adi wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 15:34
He has a tendency to veer away from his topics at times. Yet, he often acknowledges when he has digressed and returns to the subject at hand.
Thayer reminds me of my grandpa. He always does that. He starts saying something, then suddenly veers away, and some time later he asks: "What was I saying first?" It's just hilarious.

On the other hand, it seems there is a lot of potential in this memoir if the author writes with humor and candor. Too bad about the numerous errors. I'll wait for them to be fixed. Thanks for the review, though!

P.S. Is the book written in Spanish?
Tee-HEE, it reminded me of listening to an older person's stories too! I guess they just have so much information to share by that time in life... :D

And, no, the book isn't written in Spanish. Just the title. :)
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I think it's awesome that this website includes books written in Spanish. The story sounds emotional and somewhat heartbreaking.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”