Reading and car sickness

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Icon Reading and car sickness

Post by thaservices1 »

Does anyone else have this problem too? I get violently sick if I try to read in a moving vehicle. Even reading too many billboards can make me queasy. I've done my homework and my case is more visually based than motion based. I've discovered putting a blanket over my head works most of the time to prevent the nausea, but that can be uncomfortable and it looks wacky. I travel cross country frequently and it's a shame to pass up all that prime reading time. I'm not willing to take pills for it because I can just as easily not read. Anyone know any other good tips?
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

I have the same problem. Since I was small I've had trouble with car-sickness. Unfortunately I have to avoid attempting to read in a moving vehicle. The only thing that helps is keeping my eyes on the road. Even looking back to check up on the little man makes my light-headed. Sorry that I don't have any tips or advice.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I also have the same problem :cry: But then again I get car sick if I am in a car more than an hour, regardless of what I do or don't do :lol2: For long trips, I have no choice but to rely on Audiobooks
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

When I was younger I used to be able to do my homework and read entire novels on the bus or in the backseat of my families van on car trips or vacations. As I got older though, I lost that. I haven't been able to read in moving vehicles, even looking at my phone isn't a great experience in a moving vehicle.
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

I have the same problem. Why not try an audio-book?
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

I get car sick only when I read for an extended amount of time or can see everything passing by in my peripherals. If I can't see the motion, or if I take breaks when I start to get nauseous, I'm typically okay. Sometimes it can help if I'm sipping on Coke, Sprite, tea, or water, or sucking on hard candy.
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I have never had this problem, so I am afraid that I cannot help. Maybe if you put a cover over the window so you don’t have to look outside. That is all the advice that I can give you.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I am so sorry to hear that. Since my childhood, I have always been able to read in virtually any situation. This may not help much but you could avoid looking outside the windowor try to drink some soft drink or coffe while reading in a moving car. My cousin has the same problem and I have seen her doing this.
Hope this helps.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I gave up trying to read in cars a long time a go. I can't even listen to audio books as I get a headache. Sorry that I can't provide any tips. :(
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

I don’t have this problem but my sister does and she uses pressure bands. You can get them from most pharmacies and they are simply a fabric band with a little white button that applies pressure on the wrists. I don’t know how it works but it does!
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I have this problem if I’m reading in a car. I noticed though that I don’t feel nauseous at all if I’m riding in a truck & reading. I’m not sure why it’s like that for me. Maybe it’s the height/length of the vehicle, how far the vehicle is to the ground, or less bouncing while in the larger vehicle. I think people's reason for reading & getting sickness will vary, so you just have to find what works for you.
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

Nope, I am incredibly lucky to be able to read or do any type of schoolwork (writing, typing, reading) while in a car.
Runningmama
Currently Reading: Passion
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Runningmama »

Sunglasses and a hoodie help me with motion sickness issues. I usually only get carsick when I’m overly exhausted, thankfully.
Peppermint oil also helps, inhaled.
Lebdic
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lebdic »

I also have the same problem since my vision becomes blurred most of the times I try it. The same is with audio books.
bear_6743
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rheanna11.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by bear_6743 »

Unfortunately I have the same issue as well I try and take Dramamine which is an anti-nausea pill. It helps a little bit but mostly I just have to listen to audio books or look at the passing scenery every once in a while.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”