Official Review: Just Out of Curiosity by John D. King

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Official Review: Just Out of Curiosity by John D. King

Post by revna01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Just Out of Curiosity" by John D. King.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Just Out of Curiosity is a fiction novel that packs a punch. Making each of the 140 pages count, author John D. King presents a story of international intrigue, combining science, politics, action, and plenty of imagination.

Set in the year 1994, Robert Novaro is a doctoral student at the University of South Texas. Having recently completed work on a breakthrough method for separating isotopes, Novaro meets up with his advisor, who has been working on applying the research to the enrichment of uranium. As the mentor is suddenly stricken by a heart attack, Novaro makes off with his folder full of highly classified information. Now on the FBI's radar, Novaro must be wary of whom he places his trust. The top secret intel is drawing a lot of attention from various sources who would seek to use the valuable technology for whatever gain they see fit.

The book gets off to a running start and doesn’t slow. This works both for and against it. While there’s no shortage of development, there’s also not a lot of time spent building anticipation or reeling in the reader. I found the storyline to be interesting and the author's research to be thorough. I thought the author did a nice job of not including unnecessary information or characters. The writing has a nice flow and the author clearly knows how to put a thesaurus to good use. Another thing I found refreshing was the primary character, Bob, who is not especially likeable. I found him egotistical, sneaky, and sexist. I feel like the use of a moderately disagreeable protagonist added a welcomed depth to the plot.

Although there is no shortage of surprises in this book, I believe more could have been done to further the shock value. I also noticed the name Rita was used as the name for both Bob's mother and his love interest in South America. With so few characters in such a short novel, this minor occurrence stuck out like a sore thumb. Additionally, I would have preferred for fictitious characters to be used in place of well-known public figures such as Janet Reno and Bill Clinton. I found the usage of real political individuals to be contradictory to the imagined University in Texas.

The book was well-edited, although I did stumble across some unnatural sentence structures and minor grammatical errors. The book was not boring, but it did fail to “wow” me. The author’s creativity is abundant and simply needs a little refinement. I have rated this book 3 out of 4 stars, feeling a 2.5 rating would be most appropriate if it were an option.

Just Out of Curiosity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like revna01's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I also like the idea of a semi-dislikeable protagonist. Especially in such a short book, it shows serious confidence on the author's behalf. And I agree with sticking to either fake people and places instead of half-and-half. It makes it less believable.
Awesome review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It would be a bit odd to have a fictional setting with real people mentioned. Still, it sounds like the book is full of intrigue. With it being such a short book, it would be a good weekend read. Thanks so much for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Sounds odd, but maybe something fun to pick up on a rainy day. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
prhyme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prhyme.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by prhyme »

Your review is intriguing.In light of such fiction,I find it impossible to ignire.Great revohew!
"Lock up your libraries if you like;but there is no gate,no lock,no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."
-Virginia Woolf
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 01:40 I also like the idea of a semi-dislikeable protagonist. Especially in such a short book, it shows serious confidence on the author's behalf. And I agree with sticking to either fake people and places instead of half-and-half. It makes it less believable.
Awesome review!
Thanks so much for reading and leaving your thoughts, Bianka :)
revna01

Post by revna01 »

kandscreeley wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 07:39 It would be a bit odd to have a fictional setting with real people mentioned. Still, it sounds like the book is full of intrigue. With it being such a short book, it would be a good weekend read. Thanks so much for the review.
The length makes it perfect for a weekend read. Thanks for your comments :)
revna01

Post by revna01 »

AmySmiles wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 08:15 Sounds odd, but maybe something fun to pick up on a rainy day. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for leaving your thoughts, Amy. Cheers!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

prhyme wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 11:36 Your review is intriguing.In light of such fiction,I find it impossible to ignire.Great revohew!
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the compliments :)
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Sounds like a fun read for a day at the beach. Start in the sun and finish in bed that night. Doesn't sounds quite as "flushed out" as a Jack Reacher novel (those don't have many characters or stops in the action) but still a fun read. I appreciate your review and insights into the book.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

jcoad wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 08:26 Sounds like a fun read for a day at the beach. Start in the sun and finish in bed that night. Doesn't sounds quite as "flushed out" as a Jack Reacher novel (those don't have many characters or stops in the action) but still a fun read. I appreciate your review and insights into the book.
Thanks so much for reading and commenting. Cheers
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

I love a book that suprises me. I think this book will offer that. And it touched so many aspects too. Thanks for the detailed review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like a good combination of action and intrigue.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

AmySmiles wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 08:15 Sounds odd, but maybe something fun to pick up on a rainy day. Thanks for the review.
Exactly my thoughts sans the rainy day, for me more like on a night when I want to stay a bit later than usual. I am a bit surprised the story works.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

This is a well rounded and grounded review- two thumbs up! I am really surprised that this story packs a punch, it doesn't seem like what ties together neatly. Well I guess then,I have to read the novel to really know.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”