Review by C-Extra22 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by C-Extra22 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by C-Extra22 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Len Foley’s book, Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! Is a colorful children’s book. Siegfried was living in the book. He discovers a lot of dirty things in each of the pages. He is trying to find out what stinks about the book. His quest takes him from one page to the other. The climax of the story is when he discovers a pile of unwashed socks, which he had kept beneath his bed. The entire book contains a lot of his discoveries.

Children often mess up their environment. The pages of this book are filled with such kinds of environments. His uncle and sister also contribute to the dirt in the pages. Though the author went into details about the stink, this is an ideal children’s environment. The author’s language was also very simple.

Yes, the story is dirty and could actually make one feel like throwing up. The author’s sense of humor was refreshing. Len Foley uses colorful pictures and simple sentences to narrate this story.The author also gave a very good description of a stinking environment.

Honestly, I don’t think the title of the book was comprehensive enough. A better title would have been: ‘Smells’. When I saw the title, I expected the story to be all about his socks. The story was not. It had other plots.

Children would enjoy reading and discussing this book. Their nature is clearly expressed in this book. What I enjoyed most was the author’s sense of humor. My reason is that it made me laugh a lot. The ending of the book could have been better. I liked this least. My reason is that the moral lesson at the end of the book was lost. A clean environment at the end would have been commendable.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give it a 4 because it didn’t end well. The importance of cleanliness is not clearly communicated at the end. I also observed that some of the pictures on some pages were not labelled (page 6). This would have helped the children identify some of those items. I didn’t give it a 2 because it didn’t have editing issues.

Toddlers and babies can easily identify with this book. It would also appeal most to children below the age of 8. It has colorful pictures. It is also easy to read. Adults may not be interested in this book. It would also not appeal to anyone who doesn’t like a smelly and dirty environment.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like C-Extra22's review? Post a comment saying so!
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

I read this book and reviewed it and I think it's funny as well. I think the purpose of the book is just to be funny and what Sigfried did at in the end was meant to be funny. The book's purpose is not to communicate a lesson it's just to be entertaining.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Thanks Raya for agreeing with me.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

It's a book that raises controversy; you either love it or hate it. Thanks for the insightful review.
Please feel free to check out my review of the same book.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=78846
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Thank you for your informative review. I haven't really given this book much thought due to the cover and title. I assumed it was exclusively about socks. After reading your review, I'm interested in learning about this child's sense of smell and discovery. I'll have to give this one a read myself! :)
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

Thank you for your review. I didn't read the book, but it sounds like something my son would have liked when he was young.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Your suggestions on the title and ending are good ones. I am one that does not like dirty environments, so I did not like this book. Glad you enjoyed it though and thanks for your review.
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

Sounds like a fun book to read with a kid! I love the art style of the cover.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I've read and reviewed this book and I had fun doing so. I think the illustrations, rhyming pattern and use of color in the text will be very educative for kids. Nice review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This is indeed an original and unique concept for a book. It is hilarious yet funky. Young children may find it funny but most adults might not agree. Thank you for your very candid review.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Lol. I think now that I have kids nothing grosses me out anymore. I think the ending teaches us that mom should visit his bedroom more. Great review. Awesome points.
:techie-studyingbrown:
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

lovely and detailed review., I think the book offer more than the odour. Adults are meant to help with the dirt and not add to it just as Sigried's did.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

This book seems to be written for children to understand the importance of keeping proper hygiene in their day to day activities
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I don't like the idea of stinking and dirty environment , however, the book sounds like a good read for children. Thanks for the great review.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I agree that the purpose of cleanliness was not conveyed through the book but I don't think the author intended to do that. I appreciate your thoughts.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”