Review by Espie -- Pastoring is not what you think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Review by Espie -- Pastoring is not what you think

Post by Espie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pastoring is not what you think" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is in the process of living a life that is surrendered to God and His purpose that all other essentials of life such as good health, strength, peace, prosperity, good home, stable marriage, good job, security and so on, are added bonuses.
Such are the words of a church leader at that time when he chose to discuss a much-avoided topic amongst his congregation. Yet, the statement is not just a mere utterance. The person of that remark is a man of his word. He practices what he preaches. That man is Pastor Job, the protagonist in the book entitled Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji and published in 2018 by Yorkshire Publishing.

Pastor Job leads a life of unwavering faith and great candour. He shepherds his flock by example. It's through a way of living, which manifests the same beliefs he holds dear and proclaims incessantly. He trusts God even in the minutest portions of his personal choices and fervently prays for the same for his wife, his congregation, his peers, and all other people he interacts with. The book is a chronicle of his experiences, thoughts, preachings, as well as dreams (in both figurative and literal senses of the word).

The electronic file for this review has a total of 102 pages, 90 of which are main pages, and is a revised version of the author's 2017 work entitled Our Pastor Has Gone Mad Again published by Green Ivy Publishing. I consider it a step up from the original version enough to give it 4 out of 4 stars especially in view of the number of ways it creates a match between what's ideal for a piece and what it really is.

On its theme, it uniquely blends the loftiness of a religious man's convictions with their practical application. The protagonist does not profess mere unfounded pronouncements. Instead, he supports everything he states with exact quotations from the bible.

Its limited omniscient third-person point of view aptly captures Pastor Job's sleep-talk and self-talk. It is also a good mixture of plot-driven and character-driven storytelling, which presents the various turns of life-changing events as well as the gleanable or hidden turmoils, discourses, and transformative causes and effects on his psyche and corresponding actions.

The characters are very much realistic. There is no apparent claim that Pastor Job, despite his staunch stance and acclaimed high stature, is an infallible man as he has his own of human wants, propensities, and flaws just like the rest of us. I especially liked his quick wit and unexpected sense of humour. Lorraine is like any other wife who also longs for the usual first-world amenities of life. Their husband and wife conversations can really happen among couples. All the other characters are relatable and could be just any other person we know or meet in our own lives.

The numerous biblical passages quoted could be an editor or proofreader's nightmare that I couldn't help but remember one of our OnlineBookClub.org's Book of the Day entries entitled Why Do We Quote? by Ruth Finnegan on the infinitesimal reasons, ways, and standards for quotes. Yet, these passages provide the essential substance, relevance, and basis for the various sermons delivered. The layout and presentation of the quotes could have been made more consistent for ease of reading, but this is merely my personal preference and not necessarily technically wrong. There were a few errors I've noticed such as the following: missing quotation marks for the quoted bible passage in line 11 of page 4; an extra letter "s" in the proper noun "King James Bible(s)" in line 16 of page 4; a missing preposition "to" in line 1 of page 15; and, a missing direct object for the verb "make" in line 15 of page 25. However, said observations are merely trivial. The manuscript is not a disappointment; there were no glaring errors that marred its readability.

As I am a self-proclaimed, often-failing yet constantly-striving optimist, I also prayed while reading and waited for eventual rewards for Pastor Job's faithfulness amongst the many challenges that he and others encounter along the way. This isn't for those who are bothered by spiritual topics or are focussed on the differences between belief systems. I think this will appeal to those who, like me, prefer to have a break from the oftentimes mind-boggling and nerve-wracking bad news and tragedies. That respite could still involve knowing what's happening but also entails finding reasons to believe that there are solutions even for desperate situations. It is for those looking for stories of hope. Realists would consider these to be coincidences. Some would say they came from pure luck. A believer like me would refer to them as blessings or everyday miracles.

Pastoring is not what you think
View: on Bookshelves

Like Espie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I would not normally be interested in a book on a religious topic but, ever an optimist, I could do with a break from the unrelenting cycle of bad news!

Great review :D
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

It’s not really my sort of book, but I’m pleased to see wit, humour and falability are all involved.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Lovely review. I quite agree that it is a life focused on seeking God's interest first that results in fulfullment as hughlighted in the review intro. But I'm not really into this type of read though.Thanks for sharing.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

This book is on my list of books to review. I like the title, and your review is quite encouraging to read the book. Pastors are also humans, you know. It really isn't an easy task. I'd like to feed on the contents of this book. Thanks for the review.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Ma Cheryll
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-cheryll.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Congratulations on this wonderful review @Espie♥️Great job you have here :tiphat: It took me back in time and reminded me of my friends and families who took God’s call to be a Pastor! As one who has lived a life of faith since I was 16 years old, in 1982, together with my siblings and my Mom, who was at that time separated from my Dad, I can’t help but give God praise for His great faithfulness! By God’s grace I was able to finish College and land a job day after my graduation, just when employment was at a holt due to our Country’s Political chaos at that time. I can go on and on with the many blessings God has showered us with, but to close, I’d like to honor God for bringing our parents back together after 27years of separation, they’re still living together and on their 54th year. Me and my siblings each has a family of our own and each have a roof over our head. And my adult child is now a professional, working and serving the Lord through the Music Ministry, declaring God’s goodness and teaching the next generation! God’s steadfast love never ceases and His mercies never come to an end, they are new every morning! This is what I see in this book dear. Great is God’s faithfulness🙌 Thank you again for sharing @Espie. God bless you and your family too🙏🏡
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This book is my current read too. Truly a calling to be a pastor is difficult but worth it as you are taking care, overseeing, and ministering the saints. Thank you so much for your thoughts on this book.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Even though spiritually-based books are usually my faves, I just don't think I could get into this one, though I do like that relevant "addresses" from the Bible are included; I prefer to see what the Word has to say about anything of this type that I read.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

This doesn't seem like my type of read. However, I like that the book has great humor and wit. Seems like a pretty unique book. Great job on your review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Las chicas de Angel Creek
Bookshelf Size: 2397
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Espie wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 00:14 I think this will appeal to those who, like me, prefer to have a break from the oftentimes mind-boggling and nerve-wracking bad news and tragedies. That respite could still involve knowing what's happening but also entails finding reasons to believe that there are solutions even for desperate situations. It is for those looking for stories of hope. Realists would consider these to be coincidences. Some would say they came from pure luck. A believer like me would refer to them as blessings or everyday miracles.
Sounds like this book is just right for me. I usually don´t go for religious books, honestly, but you made such a compelling argument and your enthusiasm for the book really shines through. And I admire authentic, congruent people like the Pastor.
Thanks for a great, moving review!
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

I personally do not like to listen to someone's preaching and believe everything. I like to find truth by myself. The protagonist seems to be a very spiritual person. I like the character. I think he is doing a great job inspiring and helping people. Though I am big sceptic, I bow down to those who help people in need. Thanks for your review. I really enjoyed it.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I had thought from the title that the book would be about great challenges needing mountain moving faith, that pastors face. It's refreshing to note it's an inspirational, every day events journey. Thanks for the thorough review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I don't think that I have ever read a book from a pastor's perspective, so I think that his point of view would be interesting. I am glad that he doesn't claim to be without flaws. I normally do not enjoy religious books, especially with a lot of Biblical quotations, but I am curious about seeing the church through the pastor's eyes. Great review.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the great review. I'm not sure if this is the bok for me, but maybe I will add it to my list for something different to read
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Julie Green wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 02:04 I would not normally be interested in a book on a religious topic but, ever an optimist, I could do with a break from the unrelenting cycle of bad news!

Great review :D
Hi, Julie. It's good to know that we have another common ground. Although I am a Catholic by birth and by choice, a piece like this is something I'd read but not usually write about. It does have precious trinkets of thoughts for anyone who can go past the initial implications of the theme and be as open-minded as you are. Thank you for dropping by.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”