Official Review: Cossack's House by Marie Washtag

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Official Review: Cossack's House by Marie Washtag

Post by OloladeO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cossack's House" by Marie Washtag.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Cossack's house by Marie Washtag was originally written in Serbian but was translated into English by Milica Kostic. The story was written in a time of war and centers around Diana, a Yugoslavian. She was a divorcee at the age of twenty-eight with no children. Diana and her mum went to Russia to visit her grandmother fondly called Babushka who married a Cossack. There, she met Anatoly, also known as Tolik, and started an affair with him against her better judgment because Tolik was known to be a womanizer and a drunk. To her amazement, Tolik proposed to her and asked her to stay but she didn't give him a reply. Time passed and she and her mum had to go back home because their visa was about to expire. She told Tolik she would come back and Tolik could come to visit. However, that didn't happen until 10 years later. Babushka, not having kids of her own, died and left Diana her house so she had to travel back to Russia to claim her inheritance. Valya, Tolik's mum arranged for her to come back and rallied to get the necessary papers ready for her to append her signature and possess her house. Unknown to her, Valya had other evil plans. Journeying to a foreign country on her own where she barely understood the language, will she be able to claim what is rightfully hers? Will she make it out alive? Will her love still be waiting for her?

Marie Washtag did a good job with the storyline. I think it's pretty unique and could go far. I liked Tamara, Diana's friend, the most. She was like an angel in disguise. Being a Russian and also able to speak Serbian, Diana's language, she helped Diana out of dire situations. She was Diana's lucky charm. To think Diana didn't want to have anything to do with her when they first met.

What I liked least about the book was its lack of editing. I feel the book wasn't edited at all. The errors are overwhelming. There are errors in almost every page. At a point, I got tired of counting. I guess the translator did a direct translation most of the time. The book also lacks punctuations so most of the words were muddled up together. I think chapters/sections should be put in the book as it lacked it. Also, between page 110 and 111, it's obvious there is a missing piece because Diana was swimming alone at the end of page 110 and suddenly at the beginning of page 111 she was having a full-blown conversation with Tamara. I believe an epilogue should be tying loose ends about the characters in a book. The epilogue in this book was talking about the history of the Cossack people!

For all the above reasons, I rate this book a 2 out of 4 stars. The errors were terribly distracting. The writer needs to let this book go through professional hands for editing.

I recommend this book to romance lovers. It has no sexual scenes but promises to be an enjoyable read after proper editing has been done of course!

Cossack's House
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like christabel88's review? Post a comment saying so!
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for this review. The story sounds like an easy read but must have been a horrible read to you because of the editing problems. I might just give this one a try once it has been professionally edited.
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

That sounds so frustrating. I like the sound of the storyline but I don't think I could read it until it is properly edited
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

Good review. I think I like the story line but if there are as many errors as you say hmmmph, then a lot of work still has to be done because not everyone will have the patience to read on .
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Don't you just want to yell at the authors that submit books here without editing them. Pay for an editor not a reviewer! Sorry this was such a hard read. Thanks for sticking with it and giving an honest review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I was very interested in the book until I reached the part where you said it's poorly edited. For me, badly edited books are a big turn-off. Thank you for your review :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

It's a shame about the lack of editing because the book sounds quite interesting. I'm reading a book with similar editorial issues and I feel your pain! Thanks for the in-depth review!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Great review! I love warm romances without a huge emphasis on sex, so I would probably enjoy this book. The errors would most definitely have me pulling at my hair though. I hope the author does the right thing.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I'm definitely going to add this book on my list. I can't wait to find out if there was a happily ever after between Tolik and Diana. Thanks for the enchanting review.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

Northernbird84 wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 05:16 That sounds so frustrating. I like the sound of the storyline but I don't think I could read it until it is properly edited
Frustrating indeed. Thanks for commenting.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 09:49 I'm definitely going to add this book on my list. I can't wait to find out if there was a happily ever after between Tolik and Diana. Thanks for the enchanting review.
Thank you for reading and your comments as well.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

Corhan2 wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 02:55 Thanks for this review. The story sounds like an easy read but must have been a horrible read to you because of the editing problems. I might just give this one a try once it has been professionally edited.
A good idea. Thanks for your comments.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

Ever_Reading wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 01:53 Great review! I love warm romances without a huge emphasis on sex, so I would probably enjoy this book. The errors would most definitely have me pulling at my hair though. I hope the author does the right thing.
I hope she does. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

Cecilia_L wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 16:39 It's a shame about the lack of editing because the book sounds quite interesting. I'm reading a book with similar editorial issues and I feel your pain! Thanks for the in-depth review!
It is indeed. Thanks for commenting.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

Fuzaila wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 09:24 I was very interested in the book until I reached the part where you said it's poorly edited. For me, badly edited books are a big turn-off. Thank you for your review :)
I understand. Thank you for your comments.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”