Overall rating and opinion of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo

Post by Beth KG »

gali wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 23:30 This is a discussion topic for the Augost 2018 Book of the Month, "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo. What is your overall opinion of the World, Incorporated? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on Bookshelves.
What I like most about World Incorporated is how well Gariffo crafted a believable version of the near future by extrapolating upon current events. Overall, I liked the book a lot! I would have liked to see the characters be more developed. Yes, I would recommend this book to others because the topics are thought-provoking.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

I haven’t had a chance to read this book yet, but there are so many good reviews that I may have to give it a try!
bluesky5_
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades of Grey
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluesky5.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bluesky5_ »

I really enjoyed reading this book...take a trip into the future of 2058. I will not live that long to see that happen but it is nice to dream away on a fantasy cloud. I thought the book was great, the details were really colorful as to the detail of what Agent Sliver saw when he went into his boss's office to get his next assignment from Fellrock, the CEO of World, Inc. If I was living in that time period, I would be severely depressed with all those big, huge screens watching your every move. It seemed the story was about the rich and the not rich. The five corporations ruled as super corporations that overthrew governments and rebuilt around the globe.
I liked Agent Sliver, he reminds me of "Bond, James Bond" and all those shows. What I least liked was his missions. I do not know why he had to go and kill this girl's father and mother and then take her back to what was left of her home to show her the destruction he created. It was like he stabbed her and twisted the knife in her back, HOW CRUEL!!!
Oh well, an agent has his mission to do and he does it well at least as far as this story goes. I would definitely recommend this book, it is a good fictional read and who knows...maybe this will be the real future.
I rate this book 4 out of 4.
Aditi1992
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi1992.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Aditi1992 »

The reviews of this book are really great. I think the book must be worth reading.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

World, Incorporated, though is futuristic, yet speaks about the present government and what could befall us in the future if we do nothing now.
What I like most is that the book is really truthful and the author was careful not to directly make his point. Intellectual individuals would understand.
I sure do recommend to all because the book is quite truthful and expository.
I rate World, Incorporated 4 out of 4 stars. It's quite revolutionary.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Maemuna
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maemuna.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Maemuna »

this is awsum book. I suggest people to read it.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

Riszell wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 19:42 Anything related to future is interesting. There's a strong possibility that the plot of the story could happen, as the same could be said happening in other places right now. So I think it is best to recommend this book to everyone as it prepares us for the future that could occur or help us prevent a dreadful event and stop such a possible devastating way of living.
You know what they say, life imitates art. :)
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I love action packed books, and based on the reviews I have seen I will definitely be adding this book to my "To-Read" list. Thanks for all the feedback!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

World Incorporated seems to be a genuine story. I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.
gfowle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gfowle.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by gfowle »

The premise of this novel is certainly intriguing and I appreciated the action of the novel. However, I was dissatisfied with the amount of character development that I saw, particularly in terms of characters other than Sliver.

Despite that, I would recommend this to others, provided they are not searching for deep connection to peripheral characters.
eyespy
Currently Reading: Edgar Allan Poe
Bookshelf Size: 925

Post by eyespy »

I don't feel like I can honestly rate the book because I'm getting bogged down and losing interest in the news articles. It feels like I have yet to get to know Sliver or the girl and yet I'm supposed to figure out how all of these historical events have and will affect them. My preference would have been to build the characters along with the world.

Gariffo can write. He knows his way around the language and building sentences. It's just not my style of writing.
Starlord123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Starlord123 »

This book has left me with mixed feelings, so let’s start with the positives. I really liked the scenes where Sliver clearly struggled with what he wanted to do versus what he was being told to do. It shows a level of depth to his character. Also, I felt Rex, a cyborg, was an interesting addition to the story and one that added humor to the plot.

Speaking of characters, aside from Sliver and perhaps Rex, everyone else was fairly one-dimensional. For the most part, I’m not sure if some of them actually served a big purpose and some of them were hard to remember.

From the beginning, the author did grab my attention, but unfortunately, then my interest started to fade. This especially happened when a series of news articles were included as two separate chapters. The news articles, more or less, chronologizes the past fifty years leading up to the book’s current events. There were just so many given at once that I felt myself being taken out of the story and not in a good way.

There were also some plot holes and not much world building here. When entering a new dystopian world, it is important to fully understand the world the characters are living in to perhaps sympathize with their situation. However, with this book, we only get a glimpse of how everyday people live and we barely scratch the surface of what the five supercorporations entail. I believe the author just focused on one of the five in this book, the World, Incorporated. Does that mean that he’ll focus on the others in subsequent books or are we meant to be left in the dark? Honestly, it was hard to believe this was a potential future for our real word, which some people have stated, just because the reader isn’t given a lot to go by. The pages were filled with more action than description of this supposed modern dystopia.

Without giving too much away, I also don’t agree with how the ending was presented.

Throughout the novel, there were also a number of punctuation missing. Some of these were quotation marks, while many others were commas. Another round of editing would be beneficial here.

Overall, this is a book that I wouldn’t have normally picked up on my own, but being part of the Blogger Reviewer Program, I did read it. Unfortunately, this isn’t something that I would revisit or continue. Perhaps I would recommend this to those who enjoy politically-based books where one man who struggles with his identity.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

The book information and reviews are really positive and I love the premise. I added this title because it just sounds too good to be true.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

I loved the premise of this book and the author wrote an enjoyable story. I didn't enjoy the ending or the characters though - they were all boring and one-dimensional.
Rain18
Currently Reading: Concealment
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rain18.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Rain18 »

This is a well written book. It reads like a movie to me and I can actually see it being made for the big screen. It has all of the components that I enjoy - it's a page-turner, it's action packed, it has great characters, and it has an unpredictable ending. I rated the book a 3 out of 4 and would say that if you enjoy sci-fi and dystopia, you will more than likely enjoy this book. Political fiction fans will also find this an interesting read.
Rain18
“Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man’s growth without destroying his roots.”
– Frank A. Clark

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”