Review by Sdejardine -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sdejardine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdejardine.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Review by Sdejardine -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Sdejardine »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As a mother of dyslexic children, I must say I really appreciated, Toni the Superhero. I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars.

Toni the Superhero is a book about a little boy who enjoys helping people, helping animals, reading, and being active. All good choices for young readers. It also helps that these actions make Toni out to be considered a superhero.

The things I enjoyed about this book was the ease of reading. If you have children who struggle to read, this book is perfect for them. The repetitiveness of the words makes it easier. Once a few words are mastered, the book becomes easy to read and gives children confidence.

I also really enjoyed the illustrations. The cover was well thought out and incorporated all the aspects of the book in one, clear, fun, illustration. Throughout the story, the illustrations helped tell the story well past the few words that were given. It gives a child, who has difficulty reading, more time to enjoy a story without having to actually focus on the words. And, the illustrations were also fun and well done.

Another thing I enjoyed is that the book focused on kids helping and doing good deeds. One may argue that these were Toni's true superpowers. It is always good for a child to realize that good deeds are just as important as actual superpowers. I suspect, after reading this book, children will be more willing to do the things that Toni the Superhero did.

I did not have any things I disliked about the book. I do hope that sequels to this book may consider looking more into Toni's superpowers, how he got these superpowers, who his friends are, and the struggles or experiences at school. The author also has a chance to address a market we rarely see. That market is for children who look up to a black superhero role model. While race doesn't need to be a major focus in this book, I do see an opportunity for young black children to have a role model of the same race. This is rare in the superhero world.

The best audience for this book would be a beginner reader or one who may struggle with reading. That is why I love this book for someone with dyslexia. Any book that can make a child feel good about their ability to read is a good choice for children with reading difficulties. That being said, I do not think this book would be as good a choice for an advanced reader. An advanced reader may look for more of a story beyond what this story offers.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like Sdejardine's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”