Do you think this book predicts the future?

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Re: Do you think this book predicts the future?

Post by kemp1kor »

I can’t say whether or not Gariffo’s world is a possibility as I haven’t read the book, but I can see the United States losing power.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

In a way, World, Incorporated predicts the future. The plot is perfect. It's an eye opener for us to see where we are now as a nation, and where we are probably going to be in future. With the way the United States is being governed presently, the country might be heading for a crash.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Harmanias
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Harmanias »

Well, the current geopolitical arrangement tells it all and though the United States still has a major political say in world politics, we would dillusioned to think this position would remain unchallenged. America has already been overtaken in key pillars of a nation's power such as economy, technology, health and education standards. Uniquely the United States only leads in her annual military expenditure. So with this glaring scenarios, United State's position is already challenged.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Harmanias wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 09:51 Well, the current geopolitical arrangement tells it all and though the United States still has a major political say in world politics, we would dillusioned to think this position would remain unchallenged. America has already been overtaken in key pillars of a nation's power such as economy, technology, health and education standards. Uniquely the United States only leads in her annual military expenditure. So with this glaring scenarios, United State's position is already challenged.
That’s a good point. The US is already trailing in smaller aspects like technology and political standards. And it takes these pillars to hold the strength of a country up.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Sdejardine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdejardine.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Sdejardine »

The thought of whether this could be a plausible future ran through my mind many times at the beginning of the book. While some of the dystopian aspects of the book may seem far-fetched, I do believe the political unrest in the country could cause similar issues and cause the collapse of the US Government.
CEF1
Favorite Book: The Holy Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by CEF1 »

No. This book doesn’t predict the future. There is only one book that can be a glimpse into mankind’s future. That book is the Holy Bible. The most popular. The most intellectually stimulating. The most debated. The most loved. The most printed. The most translated into other languages than any other book in our history. I have read it, and will continue to read, study, and discuss it (some would say argue) over and again. I love the Bible.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Almost anything is possible, but I couldn't see the United States losing its power any time in the near future. Between its military might and the economic power of the 1% who own 40% of the nation's wealth, I doubt patriotic Americans have anything to worry about in this regard.
Meh tii

Post by Meh tii »

I don’t believe the United States will ever lose power. It’s the most powerful country and I think will stay that way.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I cannot agree with you on that one. Do you know how much is the US debt to China? - $1.18 trillion! If you haven't realised, China is slowly ruling the world, while America is losing its power. I think this book really predicts the future.
lumies
Currently Reading:

Post by lumies »

JuliaKay wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 14:23 This is a definite possibility. The political climate in the U.S. right now is really damaging the relationships with other countries, and there does not seem to be an emphasis on advances. I would not be surprised if the U.S. was not a world leader in 10 years, let alone 40.
i personally make sense out of your position.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Change is the only constant thing.Though I don't see the US fall like it did in the book,there will be some major changes in the future.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

I think the US currently has shaky leadership but will always remain powerful
Bushra Nasim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bushra-nasim.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Bushra Nasim »

In my opinion, everything is possible in this world. Of course, the US is not The God that it will never lose power, or let me put it this way that the US would not lose power but a country more powerful than the US would rise :D
Kunal001

Post by Kunal001 »

Predictions can be done but future relays on once work, activities and most important how it performs at every stage
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

sheeps44 wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 13:20 Probably not, in most cases, the future will ultimately be more mundane than anything else really. Remember Soylent Green? It takes place in 2022 and the only thing that has happened similarly is that soylent actually exists (As a powder but still)
This is also equally true. The future is not easily foreseeable but the reality is that somethings will have changed. It might be worse or better than as depicted in this book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This debate on the book depicting the future can definitely be taken to a larger perspective. For example, instead of the loss of power to a different nation or state, is there a possibility of a large and powerful organization developing and gaining control?
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”