Review by FictionLover -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Review by FictionLover -- The Unbound Soul

Post by FictionLover »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unbound Soul: A Spiritual Memoir for Personal Transformation and Enlightenment written by Richard L Haight is part memoir and part how-to book.

He takes you through the experiences which led him to his position as a teacher and spiritual coach. Beginning with his difficulties early in life, which include loneliness, isolation and learning difficulties, he describes his spiritual journey in an easy to read and vivid way. Later the book becomes a teaching tool for his meditation technique, “Observation Meditation” and goes into detail with many tips for a healthy holistic lifestyle.

Overall, I found the book an engaging, but it is dense in certain areas and requires you to take your time and consider what you are reading. I highlighted many concepts, and sometimes I read a page two or three times before I was ready to move on.

Mr. Haight’s stories of inspiration (including a striking description of a dream in which Christ speaks to him, tales of insight during deep meditations, and his Ecuadorian drug inspired vision quest) will make you re-think your own relationship to religion. His history of studying martial arts in Japan and working with spiritually enlightened teachers should be interesting reading for anyone who believes the body and mind have a spiritual connection.

In my opinion, the chapter Caring for the Physical Body is worth the price of the book. Though the book is ostensibly about awakening the mind and spirit, many people would benefit from the information he provides on exercise, diet, wild foods, and hydration. The information is simple and doesn’t require you to run out and buy supplements or adopt any particular fad diet. As Mr. Haight states: “To be healthy we must realize that just as consciousness is connected to everything, so is the body.”

Of the few negatives I could list, I would have appreciated more detail on how he came up with his numbering system on the frequency of feelings and thoughts. I have heard this concept that thoughts and feelings have energy associated with them, but quantifying a level is new to me. I could see where this would put some readers off as being too subjective. Also, his idea of ‘identifications’ (thoughts and feelings which we adhere to as part of our personality, and which keep us from true enlightenment) as separate energy fields that seem to have the ability to move and grow, was not comforting.

However, I enjoyed his take on meditation and have practiced his ‘Observation Meditation’ a few times since reading about it. I feel this is a wonderful addition for people like me, who already have had training in this area. At the same time, the material is easily accessible to those new to self-improvement. There is a glossary in the back of the book, which will help anyone who struggles with the terminology.

The book itself was formatted well and had only a few grammatical errors which were easy to overlook. I rate this book a 4 out of 4.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like FictionLover's review? Post a comment saying so!
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

FictionLover wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 08:26
In my opinion, the chapter Caring for the Physical Body is worth the price of the book. Though the book is ostensibly about awakening the mind and spirit, many people would benefit from the information he provides on exercise, diet, wild foods, and hydration. The information is simple and doesn’t require you to run out and buy supplements or adopt any particular fad diet. As Mr. Haight states: “To be healthy we must realize that just as consciousness is connected to everything, so is the body.”
While I was not a huge fan of this book, I can say that this was one of the parts that I really didn't have any problems with. I can really appreciate an author who pushes the idea of being healthy without having to do anything crazy. Thanks for the great review.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

I have now read a few reviews on this book. At first, I kept thinking that maybe it wasn't for me but since I keep coming back to it maybe I do need to check it out.
Thanks for the insightful review!
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

JHuschle519 wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 08:57
While I was not a huge fan of this book, I can say that this was one of the parts that I really didn't have any problems with. I can really appreciate an author who pushes the idea of being healthy without having to do anything crazy. Thanks for the great review.
Yes, my thoughts on this too. So many people would be healthier if they did a few simple things, like eating real food and drinking water instead of sugar.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I have read very few, if any, books about enlightening the mind and soul. This sounds like it could be quite an accessible introduction to the subject.
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

Julie Green wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 04:01 I have read very few, if any, books about enlightening the mind and soul. This sounds like it could be quite an accessible introduction to the subject.
His Observation Meditation is, in a way, the easiest meditation I have ever tried. I am terrible at meditation, and seem to get worse the older I get. Of course, that is because I don't do it enough.

Just don't get too wigged out about his stories. I've met a lot of people who share the philosophy of enlightenment and unfoldment. And you do hear some wild stories.

Let me know what you think!

:tiphat: :tiphat:
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

abigailray1013 wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 09:48 I have now read a few reviews on this book. At first, I kept thinking that maybe it wasn't for me but since I keep coming back to it maybe I do need to check it out.
Thanks for the insightful review!
It has some good stuff in it. His stories are not for everyone.
Pink_ini
Currently Reading: 60th & Haverford
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Pink_ini »

Very detailed review. without reading the book one can easily get what the book is about and get some point.
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

Pink_ini wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 23:02 Very detailed review. without reading the book one can easily get what the book is about and get some point.
Thank You.

I'm glad the review made it accessible to you. There certainly was a lot of information there.
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

I found more than ten errors in this book, so I rated it a 3 out of 4 stars.

However, I think out of all of the reviews I have read, this is one of the best ones yet. Great job!
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:

Post by pixiequeer »

I would also have to agree that this was one of my favorite and one of the most valuable parts of the book, along with the meditation. Everyone could use a little lesson on eating healthy, I'd say 😉
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:

Post by pixiequeer »

FictionLover wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 10:59
Yes, my thoughts on this too. So many people would be healthier if they did a few simple things, like eating real food and drinking water instead of sugar.
I absolutely loved how he mentioned even just the things you can find really anywhere, including in your front yard! I've never thought about that before, but he's right! 😊
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

pixiequeer wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 22:44 I found more than ten errors in this book, so I rated it a 3 out of 4 stars.

However, I think out of all of the reviews I have read, this is one of the best ones yet. Great job!
Thank you for that. I must have missed some of those errors because if I found 10, I would not have given it 4 stars.

I must have been engrossed in one of his stories!

FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

pixiequeer wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 22:48
FictionLover wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 10:59

I absolutely loved how he mentioned even just the things you can find really anywhere, including in your front yard! I've never thought about that before, but he's right! 😊
I once took a 'class' on how to identify wild plants to eat. Very enlightening. I try to pick the dandelions and purslane in my yard for salad. The dandelions usually wilt before I get to them, so that's a waste.
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:

Post by pixiequeer »

FictionLover wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 20:21
pixiequeer wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 22:44 I found more than ten errors in this book, so I rated it a 3 out of 4 stars.

Thank you for that. I must have missed some of those errors because if I found 10, I would not have given it 4 stars.

I must have been engrossed in one of his stories!

Errors are very easy to overlook with that kind of focus and concentration 😊

I typically read very carefully up until I find the 10 errors, and then I use word runner for the rest of the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”