Review by Lunastella -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Review by Lunastella -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Toni is a kid with superpowers. But, he's surprisingly down to earth and enjoys what most kids do, while also being a very well-behaved child. In this book, we mostly discover what Toni likes. Toni the Superhero is targeted towards children ages 0 to 4.

One of the many accomplishments of this book is how relatable it is for its target audience. If the book were all about Toni saving the world or performing superhero tasks, maybe kids would look up to him but would they be so easily related to him?

Instead, Toni enjoys jumping, running, swimming and even dusting and sweeping, which takes me to the next big accomplishment of this little literary jewel: Toni is an excellent role model. Kids are easily impressionable and what they read in their formative years is of the utmost importance, in my opinion. We all, even as adults, in one way or the other, are influenced by the content we consume daily: be it books, magazines, TV or the Internet. So, I think it's great that the author cared not only about making this book appealing and age-appropriate, but about sending a positive message with it. Other books in the series about Toni include Toni Loves Vegetables! and Toni Likes to Read! which I think makes clear that R.D. Base wanted to create an upstanding character.

I´d also like to applaud that Toni is an African-American kid. I really like this because representation matters and favorable representation is the most important kind. For the aforementioned values showed in the book, as well as this fact, I can't help but praise how socially conscious the author seems to be.

Each sentence in the book is accompanied by the corresponding illustration which I think it's a great way to catch the reader's attention and help clarify the idea or any words they don't quite understand. The illustrations all feature bright, lively colors and might be very attractive for young readers.

The language of Toni the Superhero is, obviously, very simple, because it's supposed to be understandable for kids that are just starting to read or that will enjoy this book read by someone else. All the verbs are in the present tense, there is almost no adjective or adverb usage and the nouns are all very basic. I´m not entirely sure this is an accomplishment, and it's actually my least favorite part of the book. I do understand the book has to be readable and age-appropriate, however, as a Linguist, I know that kids will not learn a more developed vocabulary if you don't expose them to more complicated words gradually. This is also a very short book, which is great for very little kids but more advanced readers might end up craving more plot development. Especially for kids aged 4 this book could end up being a bit too simplistic, at least for some of them.

The editing of this book is flawless. When converted from PDF to the Kindle Android app some sentences don't match the illustrations, but this doesn't happen in the PDF original, so it's not an editing problem, and I'm quite sure if the author decides to sell on e-book format this can be very easily fixed.

For its original plot, commendable message, appealing illustrations, age-appropriate language and careful editing I rate Toni the Superhero 4 out of 4 stars. And I highly recommend it for all the beginning readers around us.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like Lunastella's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, I agree there is not much in the way of language, it’s all about lifestyle.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I recently read and reviewed this one too and felt pretty much the same as you did. I'm not so worried about the simple language being a hindrance. Ideally, a thoughtful adult will start a conversation about the pictures and characters of the book. I suspect some kids might learn a more advanced vocabulary through conversation just as well---if not better--than they will through reading. Picture books are about basic reading, not advanced vocabulary.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

Excellent review! I hadn't managed to pick up a copy of this one yet and I was worried that it wouldn't hold anything interesting to me as an adult. Glad to see it is such a good book with a moral and easy to relate to. Kids need more books like this!
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

I missed reviewing this one, but your great review piqued my interest! Even though it's for young kids, it sounds like adults might enjoy a quick breather with it as well :)
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Great review and a great book for kids. This book has received some very favorable reviews
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Age-appropriate, well-written, lesson-filled, colourfully-illustrated, and all, you've just reinforced my resolve to keep this book in my Want to Read list through your insightful review. My kids may already be well over the age this piece was meant for, but having grandkids or something in the future who could love and benefit from it is not totally impossible, too, I believe. Thank you.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

JudasFm wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 20:15 I missed reviewing this one, but your great review piqued my interest! Even though it's for young kids, it sounds like adults might enjoy a quick breather with it as well :)
You’re very right! Sometimes it’s refreshing to take a break from "adulting" and read something intended for younger minds!

Espie wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 03:26 Age-appropriate, well-written, lesson-filled, colourfully-illustrated, and all, you've just reinforced my resolve to keep this book in my Want to Read list through your insightful review. My kids may already be well over the age this piece was meant for, but having grandkids or something in the future who could love and benefit from it is not totally impossible, too, I believe. Thank you.
I don’t have kids yet but I keep it in mind for my nephews and I think it would make a great present for the kids around me. You should definitely keep it on your list for the future grandkids, especially because of the very nice role-model it presents.
Thanks for your comment, Espie.

trajoe1206 wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 20:22 Great review and a great book for kids. This book has received some very favorable reviews
It sure is a great book for kids! Thanks for your comment!
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I enjoyed reading this nicely detailed review which captures the essence of this lovely young reader's book. It is something adults can enjoy reading also. For someone reading the book to a child, this presents a wonderful opportunity for discussing the themes that are represented within the pages. As this is the first novel it will be interesting to see how Toni is developed in later books.

Britty01 wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 23:12 I enjoyed reading this nicely detailed review which captures the essence of this lovely young reader's book. It is something adults can enjoy reading also. For someone reading the book to a child, this presents a wonderful opportunity for discussing the themes that are represented within the pages. As this is the first novel it will be interesting to see how Toni is developed in later books.
I totally agree. A great asset of this book is allowing parents or adults in charge of the reading time to discuss why Toni acts the way he does and to make it a moment for learning and discussing important topics with their kids. I hope the next installments are as good as this one!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Toni is such a down to earth superhero that kids will love to emulate. You are right-they will relate more with him when they see him doing ordinary day to day stuff that they are familiar with. Great review!

You are welcome to check out my review of the same book on viewtopic.php?f=114&t=77092&start=15
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Dael Reader wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 07:27 I recently read and reviewed this one too and felt pretty much the same as you did. I'm not so worried about the simple language being a hindrance. Ideally, a thoughtful adult will start a conversation about the pictures and characters of the book. I suspect some kids might learn a more advanced vocabulary through conversation just as well---if not better--than they will through reading. Picture books are about basic reading, not advanced vocabulary.
Yes, this expresses my thoughts exactly. Overall I think it is a wonderful book. Thank you for the review.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I agree with your review that this book is relatable to the age group. I like the positive message and the illustrations as well. I like that Toni does chores cheerfully.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”