Review by CinWin -- The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Review by CinWin -- The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by CinWin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unbound Soul by Richard Haight is a memoir of a young boy who dedicates his life to spiritual awakening. He travels far and wide gathering and mastering different forms of enlightenment. However, this book is much more than that. It will show you tools that you can use to gain self-awareness. It can, if you allow it to, transform your life. Written with a Tao Te Ching background, it has many Lao Tzu quotations. Richard Haight begins by stating, "My deepest prayer is that this story be of assistance to others, helping them to understand how spiritual unfoldment and vision flow through their lives."

His search begins with the Bible. He had a vision of Jesus telling him to teach the "real" Bible, which was difficult since he had no spiritual mentors. Richard had a learning disorder and was in special education in elementary school. Finally, he learned how to read in high school. Later he became suicidal and started drinking and drugging, all the time knowing that he had made a promise to Jesus. Then he had another vision. Mr. Haight moved to Japan and became a Sotai-Ho practitioner, which is a body healing therapy. He went in for therapy, it worked, he studied it and opened his own business. Later in life, he went on a vision quest for four days on the east coast of the U.S.A. and learned that nothing was 'that' important. Finally, he knew he had to go to the jungle and spend time with his tribe, so four years later he did a ten-day tour in the Andes Amazon Basin.

With the many rankings and titles he has received in his lifetime, Richard leads us through the belief system he has created. When all is said and done, he believes in not having a belief system, in loving unconditionally and living everything in Isness - the Soul.

I believe that all metaphysical and spiritual books are written in degrees of experience and knowledge. A person must really begin with the basics before they can understand the advanced books. This book is definitely advanced, with similar authors being David R. Hawkins and any of the Tao translations. I would recommend this memoir for anyone who is in the advanced stages of their spirituality, as it can get a bit confusing with those not familiar with certain spiritual new-age concepts.

I rate The Unbound Soul by Richard Haight 4 out of 4 stars. it is extremely thought-provoking and not the type of book to 'speed-read' through. Each page delivers wonderful nuggets to ponder upon and to practice. There were no typographical or grammatical errors, so it flowed very well.

The only part of the book that I took at face value was Mr. Haight's belief in heaven, hell and where we go after death. I personally believe that it is not that simplistic. However, everyone has their own opinion and I enjoyed reading his.

I thought Unbound Soul was an exceptional book written for the spiritual seeker, giving excellent advice on meditation, Isness, unconditional love and caring for the mind and body.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like CinWin's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

It sounds like an interesting book. Self-help/spirituality isn't my thing, though, so I'll give it a pass. Thanks for such a well-written review!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It sounds like this book takes us on a spiritual journey through Richard Haight's experiences and conclusions. The advanced topics and new-age concepts may be a bit too heavy to read, but for people wanting to delve into such things, they may like exploring this viewpoint in the book. I do like that he believes in unconditional love, which is true love.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Thank you for making this read as resourceful as you can in your review. I always wanted to read about this book. Thank you once again!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Mr. Haight has had an interesting spiritual journey. I read and reviewed his book Inspirience in which he talks more about Isness. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I haven't had much exposure to "Isness." In fact, I still couldn't say I got enough knowledge of its meaning at all so web search is going to be my ally later. However, thank you for your well-written review, which really gave the book ample depth and justice.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Congratulations to the author for a well-edited book! I’m not sure a book of this nature is of interest to me right now, but I’m sure there is an audience for it. Thank you for the information!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Muslims also believe in heaven and in hell. It's a plus that there are no typographical and grammatical errors in this book. As of now, I couldn't decide whether to read this book or not. Thanks for the review.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the detailed review. Spirituality is not my cup of tea
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Your review points out a lot of strong elements that would be in a book like this. I will definitely keep The Unbound Soul in mind for a lengthy read.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Even though I do generally like books that follow people's journeys through different religions, this one just isn't calling to me. Thanks for the thorough review just the same!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I find it ironical that the author believes in "not having a belief system." His believing that is already a belief system if you ask me. Thanks for the review, but this book sure isn't my box of chocolate.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Varshini29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Varshini29 »

It's as though I am exported to some other world with all the spirituality and stuffs... although I feel bad when he breaks the promises and start drinking and stuff... quite thrilling it seems...
edcba
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by edcba »

there is always something to learn and pick for tomorrow. helpful thanks!
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Just finished reading this title myself and I think this sentence of yours truly sums up how I felt at the end:

"I would recommend this memoir for anyone who is in the advanced stages of their spirituality, as it can get a bit confusing with those not familiar with certain spiritual new-age concepts."

Thank you for eloquently describing the vibe I couldn't quite put my finger on! Great review :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”