Official Review: Slaying a Harpy by L.A. Matthies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Slaying a Harpy by L.A. Matthies

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Slaying a Harpy" by L.A. Matthies.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Slaying a Harpy by L.A. Matthies is the follow-up novel to Surviving Curtis Hall: Lure of Blood and a great read for those seeking romance, action, and intrigue packaged in a paranormal magic school setting.

After being forced to bond with the vampires that run Curtis Hall to survive, Tristen and his friends, Sasha and Bryce, are now faced with learning to deal with new and startling emotions while still having to keep the truth about their school a secret from some of their closest friends. Marcella, the vampire who runs Curtis Hall, has growing feelings for Tristen she’s unsure if she should act on. She also has the pressing problem of her brother, Pietro, who wants an elixir that gives vampires the ability to walk in the sunlight. If he doesn’t receive the elixir, Pietro promises to rain destruction upon Curtis Hall. Meanwhile, from an unexpected corner, a harpy—ancient and terrible mythological creature—worms her way into the psyches of Curtis Hall students, bringing her own threat. Can Tristen, Marcella, and their companions keep Curtis Hall from crumbling around them?

I stepped out of my comfort zone a lot with this book. While I often enjoy books involving schools of magic, I’m not big on vampire stories. I also don’t often read books in a series out of order. All this said, I found myself enjoying this more than I thought. I was a bit confused in the beginning, and there were some things that didn’t make sense. However, I believe that much of my confusion would be fixed by reading the first book. Otherwise, the story flowed well, and my confusion didn’t hinder my reading experience.

Matthies’ take on vampire/human love is refreshing. At one point, Marcella thanks a compatriot for pulling her away from Tristen to do something important, saying time apart will help Tristen learn to appreciate the time together more. This was a nice depart from the more popular vampire love where “I can’t be away from you for more than thirty seconds or my heart will shrivel and I will suffer a fate worse than…whatever undead creatures suffer instead of death.” There is also plenty of vampire/human romance, including some pretty intense emotional scenes involving blood. Your inner paranormal lover will not be disappointed.

There’s also some Greek myth mixed in here. Mythology is something else I love reading, and I ate up the connections to Greece. I wished there’d been more. Also, some of the passages integrating the Greek myth into the story felt a bit long. They were interesting, though, so I didn’t mind them. For those who dislike that kind of thing, be advised it happens every so often.

My favorite part of this book, though, was the characters. Tristen has been friends with Sasha and another Curtis Hall student, Billy, for years, and I felt the strength of their friendship. The tension of all that is shown very well without overtaking the story. Bryce, who’s never been a very physical person, is grappling with wanting to hunt rogue vampires, and his transition is amazing to watch. The character arcs are paced wonderfully throughout the story. Unfortunately, I don’t think I can say the same for the harpy. Though featured in the title, the harpy angle seemed to come into the story late and then felt rushed. The conclusion worked, but I wish the harpy’s psychic manipulation had been woven in more with the mixed emotions earlier in the book. It could have made for some truly epic tension.

All in all, I rate Slaying a Harpy 3 out of 4 stars. The characters are easy to empathize with and care about. There’s a lot going on, which gives the story multiple layers. I couldn’t rate this 2 stars. The late-coming of the harpy and some grammar errors, though, keep me from giving it 4. I recommend this to lovers of vampire fiction and paranormal teen stories. If you’re the type who wants their vampires to be true monsters or take issue with immortal teens (who are kind of adults) getting together with mortal teenagers, you may not enjoy this. Even if you’re like me and aren’t a vampire fan, give this a try. It’s refreshing and different and worth a read.

Slaying a Harpy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I'm not sure I could go this far outside my comfort zone. It reads like a bad TV show on CW. Are you going to go back and read the first book or was this one enough? I really appreciate your through summary and review of the book.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I don't think I have enough interest in this one to add it to my growing to read list, especially since I haven't read the first one either. Thanks for the review though.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds strikingly similar to the House of Night series which I very much enjoyed. Still, I'm just not sure that it's a book that I'm up for at the moment. I'm glad there are some unique aspects of the story and romance as this has been done quite a bit. Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

There are some aspects of this book that I find interesting and some that are personal turn offs. I have not been interested in reading vampire books for a while, however, I do enjoy books that use mythology in their plots. Regardless, thank you for you insightful review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This would be an interesting book as you stepped out of your zone and still got entertained. Thanks for the review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the great review. I read a similar paranormal school series. I can't remember the name now - anyway I really enjoyed it so may have to give this one a go :)
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

desantismt_17 wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 08:24 Matthies’ take on vampire/human love is refreshing. At one point, Marcella thanks a compatriot for pulling her away from Tristen to do something important, saying time apart will help Tristen learn to appreciate the time together more. This was a nice depart from the more popular vampire love where “I can’t be away from you for more than thirty seconds or my heart will shrivel and I will suffer a fate worse than…whatever undead creatures suffer instead of death.”
I'm so glad to hear this! It seems like every vampire love story is the same one over and over again, and the same cliches and tropes can get really tiresome. I usually don´t read paranormal fiction but I´ll give this book a chance when I´m on that kind of mood and check out what new it has to offer.
Your review is very honest, and it seems like you made the right choice with the rating. Thank you.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

There are varied ways and means to make a fictional work appealing to its genre's readers and, more often than not, there are certain aspects of such that a lot would not prefer to have in real life. Like you, what I will appreciate about this piece would be on its lessons about the value of friendships, relationships, and not allowing the usual demarcation lines, biases, and stereotypes to prevent us from respecting others and giving every human being like us what Aussies would call a "fair go" and the chance to let one's goodness shine. At times if not all of the time, such could entail much open-mindedness and the ability to go out of one's way; thank you for doing so in your review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

You wrote a good review of this book. I am not sure which is scarier, the harpy and its mental manipulations on the students or the vampires. Your review makes me want to read the book because of the action and intrigue with some romance.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

This book seems to have a lot going on. It's a shame the harpy angle that is part of the title isn't developed well. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I haven't read many vampire stories to date. I didn't know vampires were typically so codependent in their love affairs with humans, but I am glad that that aspect is missing here. I'm not a big fan of magic school stories which I find old hat; Greek myths never get old for me though. This book sounds like an interesting mix and I enjoyed your detailed review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I think before trying this I'd have to read the first book. I always struggle getting into the story without it. I'm not a twilight fan as I agree with you that the relationships they have are bordering on psychotic. It would be refreshing to see this different perspective. Great review :)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I actually enjoy vampire stories, but as much as I did love Twilight, I just have no interest these days in reading about vampire or vampire/human love. I also NEVER read books out of order, so I'll be passing on this one.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Thank you for stepping out of your comfort zone. There were some points in this read that interests me. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”