Official Review: Book of Matthew by Catalina DuBois

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: Book of Matthew by Catalina DuBois

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Book of Matthew" by Catalina DuBois.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Book of Matthew, by Catalina DuBois, is about Matthew Colburn, a white boy. Matthew is an heir to his father's vast plantation, and he falls in love with Sarah, a black servant girl working for his parents, as an apprentice nurse. Matthew's parents strongly believe in tradition and class stratification, and they'll never allow their son to marry a servant girl. Being fully cognizant of that, Matthew works out a plan to make Sarah his wife.

Meanwhile, someone working on the plantation is attacking every girl who gets close to Matthew, and their primary target is Sarah. Will Matthew's parents accept his marriage? What's the assailant's motive? Will he or she be apprehended? Exploring the themes of love, true friendship, jealousy, and betrayal, this book gives insight into slavery in the United States in the nineteenth century. It shows how young people in love with each other suffered due to racialized slavery.

This fast-paced narrative is intriguing and exciting. I was hooked from the first paragraph. Consisting of 210 pages, it's a quick read, and its plot is simple and suspenseful. Written in the third-person point of view, the tale is comprehensible and entertaining. The dialogues are engaging. Being the first part of a serial story, it can stand alone, and since it's a mix of historical, crime, and romance fiction, it contains some sex scenes. However, the sex scenes are not explicit. They are okay for a romance tale.

In addition, this well-written novel is filled with fun and fascinating twists. When I thought the assailant had been apprehended already, another suspect would show up. As the story progresses, a lot of shocking secrets are unveiled. I think this is a good read for everyone except persons who don't like books about slavery.

The author described all the characters very well. She provided enough background, personality, and physical details about them. They are intriguing and realistic, and I enjoyed reading about them. Most of the characters are teenagers. Hence, they are full of life and energy. The only flaw I noticed in the character development is that some of the teenagers acted older than their ages, even Matthew, the protagonist.

In conclusion, the narrative is appealing and gripping. It's a worthwhile read. It was professionally edited; I didn't find any grammatical and typographical errors. Thus, with delight, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to persons who enjoy reading historical mystery and romance novels.

Book of Matthew
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I already added the book to my reading list. Every now and then you utter that astonished AHA, the moment you're faced with an exceptional read. This book sounds truly gripping, and your review is no less! Thanks for the engaging and detailed insight. :tiphat:
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 12:21 I already added the book to my reading list. Every now and then you utter that astonished AHA, the moment you're faced with an exceptional read. This book sounds truly gripping, and your review is no less! Thanks for the engaging and detailed insight. :tiphat:
Thanks Ruba Abu Ali. It's a great read. No doubts, you'll enjoy it.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Sounds like a powerful romantic story with some crime and history thrown in. It would have been incredibly difficult for those of mixed races to form relationships in the US during the era of slavery. Thanks for your review.
TGreg02
Currently Reading: A Horse Called Hero
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by TGreg02 »

Thanks for the review, I love reading historical fiction and this book sounds great. I will add it to my bookshelf to remind me about it.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The review is awesome. I like this book. The story sounds interesting. I am curious to know the fate of the protagonist, Matthew, and Sarah. The theme of slavery in the 19th century would for sure make an interesting read.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a pretty classic story. Most in that era would not be able to tolerate a marriage to a servant of any color - much less a black servant. It sounds like the tale is well written and edited. Since it's so gripping, it's one I will have to look into. Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Sounds interesting, but the story line sounds a little typical to me. I appreciate your review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

Stories about slavery can be overwhelmingly depressing. I think I would appreciate having a romance to keep the mood from becoming too morose. With that said, I am curious if the romance elements downplayed the seriousness of slavery. I also want to know if Matthew is interested in the freedom and safety of the other slaves besides Sarah. So, I guess I have enough curiosity about this book that I should read it. Thanks for a great and detailed review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”