Official Review: Falling to Fly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: Falling to Fly

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Falling to Fly" by Matheu DeSilva and Jason Pednault.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Falling to Fly by Jason Pednault and Matheu DeSilva is an autobiographical work describing pivotal events in Jason's life. As a boy growing up in America, Jason - and his sister Kendra - must come to terms with the divorce of their parents. Jason finds it particularly hard adapting to the idea of his mum and dad having new partners. Like his father, Jason has the spirit of a wild adventurer. He loves nature and spends much of his time outdoors. One of his fascinations is snakes, and he collects several, keeping them in his bedroom. One day, while snake-watching, he happens across herpetologist Thelma Fraser, who offers him a job. Her collection of reptiles, spiders, and scorpions is simply enormous. But it is the time Jason spends in Alaska with his father that really shapes his future, and his growing obsession with prospecting for gold.

Though this is Jason's story, it was ghost-written by Matheu DeSilva. The writing is of high quality, with some excellent descriptive passages. For example: "Lush vegetation glistened and sparkled beneath me, and a dense canopy of rolling green stretched into the distance. Between and far below was what looked like a slash of a roiling cappuccino: the Jatanyacu river." I found this book particularly easy and enjoyable to read, with great hooks used to pull the reader through the story, foreshadowing the next dramatic event.

This is a fascinating real-life adventure, rich with interesting events. Jason has an incredible sense of adventure, drawn to nature in all its glorious forms, from snakes to bears to gold prospecting. We get a sense of the beauty of the Amazonian rainforest and the frightening majesty of the Jatanyacu river in Ecuador. We also meet a number of colourful native characters, some less pleasant than others. There is always plenty to keep the reader interested.

Some early passages in the book about one part of Jason's childhood are genuinely frightening. Knowing it is a true story makes it even worse, adding a terrifying paranormal element for horror fans. Overall, I found Jason's journey fascinating and was never quite sure where it was all heading until the end. There is definite satisfaction in the final outcome, making this an intriguing and worthwhile true story.

On the negative side, though this book is well-edited (better than most I have reviewed), I still found ten minor errors by around halfway through. Consequently, I can only rate Falling to Fly 3 out of 4 stars. With these errors fixed, I would definitely rate it 4 stars. It is an amazing tale of adventure and personal growth, written extremely well. This book would appeal to anyone who enjoys a good adventure story. Just be aware it does contain depictions of violence, illness, and injury, so it might be a bit confronting for some.

Falling to Fly
View: on Bookshelves

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I enjoy stories that are unpredictable with a good ending. Excellent review!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

What an amazing story! Thanks for the brilliant review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds quite fascinating. I admire him for getting a ghost-writer. Sometimes we have great stories to tell, but we aren't story tellers. So we need a bit of help along the way. It's too bad about the errors, but those can be fixed fairly easily.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

The writing style sounds great.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 10:10 I enjoy stories that are unpredictable with a good ending. Excellent review!
Being real life, this one certainly didn't follow a clichéd Hollywood plot line. But the ending was particularly satisfying. Well worth a read. Thanks for your comments.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 10:25 What an amazing story! Thanks for the brilliant review.
Thanks! Definitely a fascinating true life story of a man with adventure in his veins. Plenty to keep you interested all the way through.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 14:14 Sounds quite fascinating. I admire him for getting a ghost-writer. Sometimes we have great stories to tell, but we aren't story tellers. So we need a bit of help along the way. It's too bad about the errors, but those can be fixed fairly easily.
The use of a ghost writer in this case was especially worthwhile when the writing is of such high quality. A very well-told story.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

teacherjh wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 18:08 The writing style sounds great.
It certainly was. It really held my interest, making it easy to read this book quickly.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 14:14 Sounds quite fascinating. I admire him for getting a ghost-writer. Sometimes we have great stories to tell, but we aren't story tellers. So we need a bit of help along the way. It's too bad about the errors, but those can be fixed fairly easily.
I echo kandscreeley. Everyone has a story to tell, not everyone should write it. But it sounds like getting a ghost-writer was the best thing for this one, it just need an editor to look over it now. Great review, thank you!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I love the description of a river as a roiling cappuccino - I can picture it vividly. Great review.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

AmySmiles wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 06:56
I echo kandscreeley. Everyone has a story to tell, not everyone should write it. But it sounds like getting a ghost-writer was the best thing for this one, it just need an editor to look over it now. Great review, thank you!
Yes, this was an especially fascinating story about a man who had led an interesting and perilous life.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Julie Green wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 14:20 I love the description of a river as a roiling cappuccino - I can picture it vividly. Great review.
The descriptive passages were certainly vivid and well-written. Thanks for your comments.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”