Review by Nma26 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Review by Nma26 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Nma26 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lien Foley’s book, Sigfried’s Smelly Socks is a children’s book. Sigfried is trying to find out what stinks about this book. His quest takes him from one page to the other. He discovers a lot of dirty things in each of these pages. The climax of the story is when he discovers a pile of unwashed socks, which he had kept beneath his bed. Actually, the socks are not the only things that stink about this book. The entire book contains a lot of his discoveries.

Len Foley uses colourful pictures and simple sentences to narrate this story. Though the story is dirty and could actually make one feel like throwing up, the author paints a very good picture of a stinking environment. The author also has a sense of humour.

The use of the book as a house for Sigfried is a unique concept. I enjoyed the author’s sense of humour. My reason is that children would enjoy reading this book. The ending of the book could have been better. I liked this least. My reason is that the moral lesson at the end of the book was lost. Also, a clean page would have made a better ending.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give it a 4 because it didn’t end well. I can’t find the moral lesson for children. The lack of chapter arrangement in the book also influenced my decision. I didn’t give it a 2 because it didn’t have editing issues. It also had said some labelling challenges.

This book would appeal most to children below the age of 10. It has colourful pictures. It is also easy to read. It would appeal least to adults. It would also not appeal to anyone who doesn’t like a smelly and dirty environment.

Generally, everyone hates a dirty environment. Children are carefree and full of energy. A house like the one painted here is something they can easily identify with. The importance of cleanliness and order cannot be overemphasized. Though the author went into details about the stink, this is an ideal children’s environment.

In addition, a better title for this book would have been: “What Could Be Smelling?” not “Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!” The story was not all about his socks and its smells. There were a lot of other things that contributed to the stink.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nma26's review? Post a comment saying so!
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

I don't get what you mean mean by use of the book as a house for Sigfried but I love your review in general.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I really was not fond of this book and I guess I am one of those adults who don't like things dirty. However, I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for your review.
Nma26

Post by Nma26 »

Dear Raya, I mean that the story happened in the book.Each of the pages had one dirty thing or the other that Sigfried discovered.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

This sounds like a fun read for children. I know my son would have loved it when he was young. I think have the books as a house is definitely different. It's too bad it didn't have a better ending.
Nma26

Post by Nma26 »

Thanks dear.
Nma26

Post by Nma26 »

Sincerely melissy370,the book stinks!
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This seems like it would be a fun book for children. I like that it’s written with a sense of humor and has illustrations. It’s too bad about the ending not being great and losing the moral of the story. Thanks for your review.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Lovely review and good you put the ending into consideration. And the tittle also looked off for the story.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I thought the ending was a little funny. I think it just depends on each kid. Some might think it's funny and some might think it's stupid. I like your idea of the title.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

Sounds like a great book to use to the five senses in a preschool class! I can only imagine the funny activities I could plan along with this. Thank you for the review!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

I like your well rounded view of the book. You're right, it wasn't only the socks that were smelling, but so many other things. So the title should have been more encompassing. Besides the unsatisfactory ending, though, the book seems to be a good read for children. As they read, the accompanying adult shroud emphasize the aspect of hygiene to complement the lack thereof at the ending of the book.
Bookcool123
Currently Reading: The Relik
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookcool123.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Bookcool123 »

I read this one also. It kinda stinks but it is a fun read. Nice review.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I haven't read this book yet, but I might in future to discover why it's so vastly read. I love your review, considering, this is a children's book and most times quite difficult to review. I like how keen you are to be able to point out even trivial issues. Also how you have expressed your dislike with the title. Nice review.
Nma26

Post by Nma26 »

Thanks for the kind words.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”