Official Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Re: Official Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by Sirajuddin A »

The story of this novel is about a woman Izzy Campbell, who wants to leave her alcoholic husband Jim and she has a soft corner for Sean a Journalist. The plot is set in Glasgow, Scotland and main characters work at the Citizens' Advice Bureau.

Small Change is a beautiful story of a woman who struggles to decide, for her separation from her husband and start a new life with her new found love.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

interesting review. I'm very interested in the character of Jim. can't wait to get my hands on this book. congrats on being BOTD.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
tzazr
Currently Reading: Once Upon a Curse: 17 Dark Faerie Tales
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzazr.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by tzazr »

Reviews like this are valuable. The reviewer provided just enough to interest and yet not spoil the story for a reader. Additionally, this is the first time I've seen a comment get corrected in the final version of the book, that is cool.
111Appleton111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-111appleton111.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by 111Appleton111 »

Thank you for the informative review, it sounds like an interesting book. I would love to see which choices Izzy would make while going through the crossroads she faces. Well-written characters always catch my attention so that's a big plus.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

The fact that you want the author to write another story about Izzy tells that you really enjoyed the book and can't seem to get enough! This proves that the book is indeed worth reading.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I enjoyed the review for this book which I did read. It was a fairly interesting story about Lizzy who had outgrown her alcoholic husband. She worked in the Citizens Advice bureau where she meets Sean. I liked being able to get a glimpse of life in Scotland, the issues that the working class faced and the scandal revolving around the Rangers football team.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Thanks for a very insightful review.
This is indeed a beautifully written story; I love how the author managed the subplots and the characters. I can't wait to read this book.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Your review has me convinced that this book is worth reading. Well-executed character driven novels are a rarity these days and this book seems to have passed this test with flying colors. Thanks for the review!
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I really enjoy character-driven novels. I'll definitely be reading this. Thanks for a detailed review.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

You have written a nice review. I don't think this one is my type of book. The character seems real yet confusing to me.
Shraddha_rc
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddha-rc.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shraddha_rc »

Thank you for the detailed review. I don't know why I wasn't adding this story in my to-read list before, but now I'll surely do it.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

The plot is timely and relatable. The review was very detailed and yet no spoilers were given, and thus the review makes it more interesting to fans of this genre.
KaliRhea
Currently Reading: Austenland
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by KaliRhea »

It sounds like a realistic situation some middle-age woman face. I don’t think I would make some of the decisions she did, but still sounds like an interesting story.
Ms Maina
Currently Reading: The Siege
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Ms Maina »

A character driven book is quite captivating. Izzy dealing with her alcoholic husband and also having Sean who is charming.Ofcos I want to kniw how it all unfolds and she is at crossroads and has to pick one. Bridget getting into politics ooo well. Will add it to my WTR to revisit it much later.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

bookowlie wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 10:44 The casual, breezy writing style moves the plot along at a steady pace. There is just the right amount of detailed description without bogging down the story. I spotted a few errors (not capitalizing the first word in a sentence, a missing apostrophe, incorrect use of plural vs. singular, and a missing word). The errors surprised me, given the otherwise high quality of the writing.
I enjoyed reading your review. I read the sample and also thought the writing moved the story along well. Just the right amount of imagery to help the reader grasp the context. I noticed the book is based on true events, which is also a draw for me. It sounds like a fun read with interesting characters. Thank you for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”