Official Review: Lives of Museum Junkies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Official Review: Lives of Museum Junkies

Post by gaporter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lives of Museum Junkies" by Marilynne Eichinger.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As a self-professed "museum junkie" and science center nerd myself, the non-fiction book Lives of Museum Junkies caught my attention and I just had to pick it up. Lives of Museum Junkies features mini- and full-length biographies of well-known interactive science museum directors, including the author, Marilynne Eichinger. This book also gives valuable insight into the painstaking process of launching a science center from an idea into a productive enterprise.

The book begins with the author, a young stay-at-home mom in the 1960’s, speculating about the possibility of opening an interactive, indoor playground for her children to play in on rainy days. The idea quickly took hold, and Eichinger persevered to bring her science museum, Impression 5, to fruition. The book is divided into seven sections examining the different aspects of museum leadership. Each section is then further divided into chapters which include “lessons” from the author or person of interest on the subject at hand. Several of these chapters may be interesting to readers interested in entrepreneurship beyond non-profits or museums.

One thing that initially attracted me to Lives of Museum Junkies was the featured biographies of individuals in prominent positions in STEM education industries, including the National Science Foundation and PBS. However, I found these biographies disappointing. I was surprised that the profiles were only a few pages long each. The title of the book had led me to believe that more of the book would be devoted to these interviews. The author's own story comprises the bulk of the book.

I liked how Lives of Museum Junkies is balanced in regards to the high and low points of museum management. Eichinger details the struggles she faced in the early days, such as securing funding and a location for her fledgling science center. I especially liked, though, the bravery Eichinger shows in revealing the sexual harassment she faced, even after rising as the president of the successful museum. Eichinger experienced numerous troubles in her years of museum management, but they appear to be equally balanced by the rewarding nature of the venture. Eichinger witnessed children (and adults) learn in the space that she created, experienced rare diversity during the 1960s, and forged many gratifying relationships, among other benefits.

I give Lives of Museum Junkies 2 out of 4 stars. The book appeared to need a more thorough editorial review. I found several typos throughout the book that were distracting, and I had to reread several awkwardly phrased sentences. On top of these grammatical issues, I found myself getting lost in the timeline as the stories do not flow in chronological order. There were quite a few details I had to garner from context clues that were not made explicitly clear as the author jumps around in time. I recommend Lives of Museum Junkies to readers interested in the inner workings of museums or entrepreneurship stories.

Lives of Museum Junkies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like gaporter's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I might skip this one for now, given the numerous grammatical errors. Your review was engaging and thorough, however. Thanks. :tiphat:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Plot structure and formation, plus grammar issues, what more wrong can a book get itself into? Thanks for the heads up!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I'm interested in entrepreneurship stories but I will pass for now, and come back when the book is professionally edited. Thanks for your intriguing review.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 04:31 I'm interested in entrepreneurship stories but I will pass for now, and come back when the book is professionally edited. Thanks for your intriguing review.
Same here. You got me on the entrepreneurship part but will only get my hands on this book after the editing process. Thanks for your honest and detailed review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

The errors and the timeline issue would be annoying to me, so I will pass on this, but otherwise it sounded interesting. Thanks for the honest review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 01:56 I might skip this one for now, given the numerous grammatical errors. Your review was engaging and thorough, however. Thanks. :tiphat:
At first, I thought it was fiction.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”