Official Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dori Lee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dori-lee.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Official Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by Dori Lee »

Very good review describing Penelope's journey. Though I do not read historical fiction, this would be at the top of my list if I did.
slori0488
Currently Reading: The Practice House
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slori0488.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by slori0488 »

Romance novels really aren't my thing, but the historical fiction aspect of this novel makes it appealing enough for me to give it a chance. As a bit of a feminist it will be interesting to read how much of the Women's Sufferage the author included in get writing. The characters sound interesting and I feel this would be a good rainy day read. Thanks for your review.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

The prospect that there could be a relationship between Mr. Dagger and Penelope is keeping me away from this book, although it seems like a nice read. Thanks for the review :)
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for your review! I'm curious to find out about Penelope's journey to Boston and her part in the Suffrage movement. I hope that the book keeps true to the time period. I wonder what developments occur in Penelope's love life. The character development is also a big draw for me.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I like that there are multiple relatable characters throughout the book. It's always disappointing when you find a good book but can't relate well to the main characters.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I love this story and the characters portrayed. Penelope and Lucinda have done the correct deed by avoiding a relationship that could create turmoil in the lives of many persons. Thank you for a thorough review of this book.
MiziS_1305
Favorite Book: The Lost Symbol
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mizis-1305.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by MiziS_1305 »

The plot of the book is appealing with its central character going through unexpected ups and downs in life and then joining a movement in Boston. It might be a great read for historical fiction readers, but I am neither a fan of historical fiction nor a fan of romance. So, I applaud the plot but won't pick it up. Thanks for the review!!
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Not my genre of choice. Congrats on the review. Sounds enthralling. Might read it.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

Sounds like a realy good book. I also like historical fiction. It sounds like it has a Jane Austen kind of feel.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

While Historical fiction is not my area of interest, just from a sampling, this story has potential. I was particularly impressed by the author's ability to skillfully mold historical facts about the Women's Suffrage Movement into a romantic fiction, which is by no means easy. Well Done.
ashpres12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashpres12.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by ashpres12 »

Thank you for your review. I found it to be very descriptive and made me want to read this book even more. I will be adding it to my ever growing to be read pile. :techie-studyingbrown:
Folorunsho213
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Folorunsho213 »

She is one of those beautiful primitive woman with high regards to society. She is shy but can not resist the charm of the handsome millioner; due to the family finacial situation she might succumb to the young man." What is the true intent of the young man is it to lure the naive young lady into the inner room or otherwise?"Check this wonderful book.
bellaterrabooks
Currently Reading: On the Rez
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellaterrabooks.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by bellaterrabooks »

The financial situation for women during the time in history covered by this book was considerably precarious. The social and economic standing of these women led many to make some very unsavory choices, such as those that Penelope faces in this book. The Women’s Suffrage Movement provided women with an outlet for some of those limitations. It is fascinating to note that the author has fully flushed out the characters including historically accurate information, which brings greater depth to the story. Based upon the brief daily summary and this review, this sounds like a book that would be an excellent read for a historian who is interested in the Women’s Movement and strong female characters.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

Thanks for your engaging review. From the sample provided, I can easily appreciate that one can get hooked by the characterization. I am happy to learn that you found this novel to be an expertly written pageturner that you recommend to all readers of fiction. I look forward to reading this novel.
J+Jenkins63
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-jenkins63.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by J+Jenkins63 »

I'm not aware of any other fiction touching on this subject. I don't know that it would be for me, but I think a novel about a young woman getting involved in the Suffragette movement is a great idea.

Return to “Historical Fiction”