Review by Cardinalsparrow -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Review by Cardinalsparrow -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s smelly socks! by Len Foley is a unique and fun-filled children’s book creatively written to fascinate the mind. From the beginning, the book admits to being smelly! It is a very delightful book specifically targeted at the youngest of readers. It features a boy, Sigfried, who is the narrator. Sigfried skilfully takes the reader on a page-by-page journey, with the aim of finding out why the book smells so bad. He explains how each smelly stain got to each page- from the rotten banana on page six to his sister’s dirty diaper on page ten.

Eventually, Sigfried finds where the bad smell is coming from; his socks that were hidden under his bed! He describes the socks; their colours and designs, then goes on to say how each of them smell. Interestingly, Sigfried chooses to solve the problem of the smelling socks in an equally fun way.

The author beautifully combines both illustration and photos in an exciting and practical way. The catchy rhymes throughout the book lead the reader through the smelly things Sigfried talks about. I suspect that the use of these rhyming words is a genius attempt to assist young readers in discovering words that rhyme, and to spur their creative minds to produce such words too. This will particularly be a delight for them, as they will be taken on an adventure around Sigfried’s world.

The storyline is simple and easy for young minds to follow. The bright pictures in the book give clear insight on how the items look, and why they smell so bad (I was particularly enthused by this). The pictures also make it easy for younger readers to understand the process Sigfried went through in locating the bad smell.

I like how the author uses bright pictures and illustrations to stimulate the mind of the audience. The photos add visual interest to the pages and at the same time, teach the name of each of the items in the book. The author's use of vocabulary is appropriate for children and also very interesting for adults. All twenty-seven pages are filled with whimsical and joyful adventures for youngsters.

Overall, Sigfried’s smelly socks! is an excellent light hearted read. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There are a few different lessons that could be extracted from the book; colour recognition, vocabulary development and hygiene lessons. The fact that these lessons are presented in a charming and funny way is just amazing.

I enjoyed the book and so did my nephews. I would recommend it for young readers, and for parents who have children that are seven years and below. I also recommend it for preschool classes. It is indeed a lovely book!

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cardinalsparrow's review? Post a comment saying so!
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

Great review and quite correct.I am currently reading this book and do appreciate your unique perspective about the book.nice one.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:

Nma26 wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 19:24 Great review and quite correct.I am currently reading this book and do appreciate your unique perspective about the book.nice one.
Thanks for the kind words
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

You are welcome.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

I've read this book but I always enjoy hearing about it from someone else's pov. Nice review.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Lovely review! I love the way you summarised the book. :D
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:

Raya raymond wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 07:40 I've read this book but I always enjoy hearing about it from someone else's pov. Nice review.
Thanks 😘
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:

Fuzaila wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 09:40 Lovely review! I love the way you summarised the book. :D
Thanks for your kind words
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I found this book to be very entertaining.I didn't like the smells though.
PriyankaBhowmick
Favorite Book: Damn the cancer
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka-bhowmick.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by PriyankaBhowmick »

your review sound so interesting. I would like to read this book.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

All twenty-seven pages are filled with whimsical and joyful adventures for youngsters
A humor-filled journey indeed! Thanks for the great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review! It sounds like a hilarious children's book. I can imagine the vocabulary that could be used for colours, designs and smells. I think it will really help children learn some new words. :)
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:

Allyseria wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 11:45 Thank you for your review! It sounds like a hilarious children's book. I can imagine the vocabulary that could be used for colours, designs and smells. I think it will really help children learn some new words. :)
It's a really cool book. There are lots of things children will pick up from it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”