Official Review: Losing Normal by Francis Moss

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Re: Official Review: Losing Normal by Francis Moss

Post by daydreaming reader »

crediblereading2 wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 18:36 Hey, there is actually an AI out there called Sophie whose actions are pretty similar to those of a human. I guess this book is based on her. Thank you for an excellent review.
I was thinking of this!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Seems like a great quick read and thank you for your review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

sharkyjen998 wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 17:33 Your review has encouraged me to add this book to my "want to read" shelf. The fact that the main character has highly functioning asperger's syndome caught my attention, but the parts about Sophia make this a must-read! Sophia is already a real technology, so I can't wait to read this author's take on it! Thanks for your review!
I didn’t know about Sophia, thanks for informing me. I hope you enjoy the book :tiphat:
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

FictionLover wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 18:32
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was exciting and fast-paced, and the narrative switched regularly between Alex and Sara, his gifted but decidedly unorthodox friend. There were also short clips from the Calliope system logs, indicating that all may not be well there either. The characters are likeable and human and I enjoyed the way Sara would try to make things ’normal’ for Alex so he could function during the confusion and change. I also liked the way the resistance was run from bookshops; an allegory for the modern world where an escape from the evils of technology is to be found in books and libraries.
Another great review, Helen. I've read a couple of books where the main character has Aspberger's syndrome. If done right, it can really give a unique point of view.

I'll keep this one in mind. :tiphat: :tiphat:
Thank you, Alex’s condition does add to the story. :tiphat:
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

crediblereading2 wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 18:36 Hey, there is actually an AI out there called Sophie whose actions are pretty similar to those of a human. I guess this book is based on her. Thank you for an excellent review.
I seem to be the only person who didn’t know about Sophie! I’m looking her up right now. Thank you :tiphat:
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

I feel technobabble would go over my head also, and take away from the enjoyment a bit! Thanks for the review.
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 01:49
sharkyjen998 wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 17:33 Your review has encouraged me to add this book to my "want to read" shelf. The fact that the main character has highly functioning asperger's syndome caught my attention, but the parts about Sophia make this a must-read! Sophia is already a real technology, so I can't wait to read this author's take on it! Thanks for your review!
I didn’t know about Sophia, thanks for informing me. I hope you enjoy the book :tiphat:
Of course! If you have the time, then it may be fun to do a quick search on Sophia! She's a real life AI robot. It's incredible!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Wonderful imagination that AI robot challenging to humans by doing all the TV shows and trying to capture the education system. I heard Sophie doing several human tasks and well known robot.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

OrlaCarty wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 08:07 I feel technobabble would go over my head also, and take away from the enjoyment a bit! Thanks for the review.
Thank you. I think the technobabble was supposed to go overhead, it went over some of the characters’ heads too.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

sharkyjen998 wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 09:12
Of course! If you have the time, then it may be fun to do a quick search on Sophia! She's a real life AI robot. It's incredible!
She’s a bit spooky is you ask me :?
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

sanjus wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 11:00 Wonderful imagination that AI robot challenging to humans by doing all the TV shows and trying to capture the education system. I heard Sophie doing several human tasks and well known robot.
Scary stuff, thanks for commenting.
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 11:29
sharkyjen998 wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 09:12
She’s a bit spooky is you ask me :?
I agree!! :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have a nephew with Autism, so I like that the protagonist has Asperger's. It's too bad about the editing, but that's easy enough to fix when you have a good story. The high body count does seem to be a bit much for the young adult genre, but at least it isn't graphic. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 12:13 I have a nephew with Autism, so I like that the protagonist has Asperger's. It's too bad about the editing, but that's easy enough to fix when you have a good story. The high body count does seem to be a bit much for the young adult genre, but at least it isn't graphic. Thanks for the review.
Thank you, oddly, I often find young adult books have a surprising amount of death and drug taking
Thanks for commenting.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I haven't read a sci-fi where the main character is autistic. I realize it's hard to come across such books. Dealing with AI and technological babbles, this book sounds right up my alley. Splendid review Helen :D
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”