Classics: Why We Should Encourage Children to Read Them

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Echendu Daniel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Classics: Why We Should Encourage Children to Read Them

Post by Echendu Daniel » 30 May 2018, 02:57

Encouraging kids to read classics should be that thing we really want to do. Because reading classics isn't all in the name of reading a book but it should be because we want them to have fun reading.

Britty01
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 144
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading: A Day in Eternity
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 » 30 May 2018, 18:13

Fiza Pathan of Mumbai, India sounds like a very smart young woman. I admire her for her conviction
that reading Classic books is good for young people to improve their minds and imagination.

I am glad I had such good books to read as a child and young adult growing up in England.

Thanks for the insight into this book and the inclusion of some of her comments, one of which
particularly struck me as being sad but true:

“Children need a bit of good fiction to nourish them in a world that seems out to kill them”.

Mely918
Currently Reading: From Genesis to Genocide
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: Living by Choice by Michael L. Nelson

Post by Mely918 » 03 Jun 2018, 12:33

I agree that we should encourage kids to read classics. They are classics for a reason. They are the books that have passed the test of time. Especially for an aspiring author, reading classics can help them learn the kind of writing and themes that would most appeal to readers.

ShareTheGift
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by ShareTheGift » 12 Jul 2018, 01:08

I wanted to also copy something I listed in another forum regarding readers because I thought it would be good to bring it over here as well.

Those interested in reading classics or picking out classics for a young reader there is a perfect site for you where you can get all these for free.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/.

Because these books are older and out of copyright Project Gutenberg has many of them in the over 57,000 books for free collection. H. G. Wells, Jack London, Robert Louis Stevenson, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Lewis Carroll, Howard Melville, Charles Dickens, Jules Verne, Mark Twain (take these with a grain of salt due to the language of the times has racial overtones) and so many other classic authors. You can even find some books they can use for reference if they writing about philosophers like Plato/Homer.

It is a real find for anyone looking for classics and there are also some books written in other languages!

Sophia Villo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-villo.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Sophia Villo » 18 Aug 2018, 20:14

cristhian wrote:
19 Sep 2013, 10:07
I am really grateful that this types of sites are available to our community, in spite of the fact that many people nowadays are losing the habit of reading. Children are the ones who need to carry on this habit, therefore we as grown ups have to foster reading at schools, mostly. I think the best way to do so is through tales or with eye-appealing illustrations like for instance I`ve bought this book titled "Treasure Island (Sterling Illustrated Classics)" which I got and my kids enjoy it a lot you know since it has plenty of images.

Edit: website ref deleted
Growing up I had several classics in a series not only with illustrations, but with interesting tidbits and explanations of unfamiliar things that a young reader might not understand. Needless to say, they were among my favorites and there reason I love classics today. I wish I could remember what that series was, if anyone has any ideas.

Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Currently Reading: The Romanov Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by Serena_Charlotte » 22 Aug 2018, 22:09

I think it's important for teachers to read books from every era. Just as the writing from the Age of Enlightenment to World War II is significantly different, so are modern books from classics. English teachers make a point of pointing out the differences between the socio-economic, and sometimes political, spheres that influenced the writing during that time but fail to show its relevance in our time and how modern writing has changed as well. Getting students more involved with modern writing shouldn't be to "get the kids more interested in reading" at all. Rather, it should be just another unit in an English class showing the gradual shift in writing styles and genres over different time periods.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?

Return to “Classic Books”