Review by Ruba Abu Ali -- Cold Serial: The Jack the Stra...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Review by Ruba Abu Ali -- Cold Serial: The Jack the Stra...

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders" by Brian E. Forschner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“It has been said,” time heals all wounds.” I do not agree. The wound remains. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone.” said Rose Kennedy.

Cold Serial: The Jack The Strangler Murders by Brian Forschner is a crime narration. It deals with five girls who were murdered and raped in Dayton, Ohio, and possibly in Cincinnati, Ohio, between 1900 and 1909. The author has done some genealogical research when he learned about the demise of one girl, his great-aunt. The three-year vigilant research led Mr. Forschner to spotlight the lives of the five girls before their deaths and the drama that ensued after they were murdered. Ada Lantz, Dona Gilman, Anna Markowitz, Mary Forschner, and Lizzie Fulhart were girls who shared youth and beauty.

As soon as I started reading, I was transferred to Dayton, Ohio, in 1900. The book provides a glimpse into the living conditions in Dayton at the turn of the century. It also sets the stage for understanding the social, political, and cultural conditions prevalent during that era. Women were not given their rights. Sexism and discrimination were equally common.

Each chapter spans the details of each girl’s life, murder, and the events after her death. The series started with Ada Lantz, twelve at the time, who went missing after using the outhouse during her parents’ birthday party. Later that night, her family found her in the well at the outhouse. I quote a few heart-wrenching words. Those were Dr. Gaugler’s words, the doctor who brought Ada to life, and the one to examine her postmortem. “Give me a moment.” Gaugler paused, pulled out his kerchief, removed his glasses, and dabbed his eyes. Comfortable in the presence of a friend, he dropped his guard. “I brought this girl into the world. I watched her grow up and loved her like a daughter.”

It was commonplace for young females to work in order to supplement the family income. This entitled going back home in the dark, which put them in danger. The murders had the same modus operandi, and the Dayton monster had a prototype in Jack The Ripper, the London murderer. That’s where Jack The Strangler’s moniker emerged. The only relief came in the last chapter which witnessed a sudden turn of events and led to a satisfactory closure.

An in-depth look at that era shows that crime scene preservation in 1900 was still in its infancy. It was an intuitive exercise rather than a scientific one. It is outrageous how back in those days a person could be incriminated and arrested based on the word of mouth, with no tangible evidence. It was also common to have a suspect sent to prison based on a lead from the public. The media were also merciless and summoned to gossips. To add the insult to injury, the murdered girls were commonly blamed for what happened to them. It is interesting that modern-day victimology would link these murders together by age range and beauty. I found Ada, the first girl to be murdered and raped, younger than the rest of the girls, though.

I cannot think of a notable thing I did not like in this book, except for the abrupt ending of some chapters. The author was able to add an authentic dialogue and connect all the dots with such finesse. The genuine illustrations laced amidst the text were captivating.

This book should appeal to a wide range of readers. If you’re a fan of crime thrillers, you will be satisfied with this read. If you’re interested in historical narration, you will find this book true to the historical perspective. If you’re a human seeking truth and justice, you will find a voice for the silent in this book. I cannot recommend it enough. It is obvious that it was professionally edited because I did not encounter any grammatical errors, only one typographical error. And therefore without further Ado, I issue this book 4 out of 4 stars. It has a noble message that goes beyond a pleasurable read. It gives voice to the victims whose lives and innocence was taken prematurely in a barbaric way. Mr. Forschner’s deep research and eloquent writing made sure these girls are not forgotten, and their death does not go in vain. The girls’ cases became cold. But Cold Serial revived the hope of bringing them justice.

Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ruba Abu Ali's review? Post a comment saying so!
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

An in-depth review, thank you! I have also read and reveiwed this book. Like you, I was captivated by these women's stories and I am grateful to Brian Forschner for bringing their memories back to life. I agree that some of the chapters ended abruptly. For some of the families, I would have loved more information on what happened after the loss of a daughter. I understand that this information was probably not as accessible to him.
A great, well-researched book!

If you're interested, I'd love if you checked out my own review:
viewtopic.php?f=114&t=80921
Ruba Abu Ali
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I'm glad we have the same thoughts on this one. This book will stay with me for a long time. Thanks for being kind enough to go over my review and make a comment.😊
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Abigail R wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 09:22 An in-depth review, thank you! I have also read and reveiwed this book. Like you, I was captivated by these women's stories and I am grateful to Brian Forschner for bringing their memories back to life. I agree that some of the chapters ended abruptly. For some of the families, I would have loved more information on what happened after the loss of a daughter. I understand that this information was probably not as accessible to him.
A great, well-researched book!

If you're interested, I'd love if you checked out my own review:
viewtopic.php?f=114&t=80921
I'm glad we have the same thoughts on this one. This book will stay with me for a long time. I appreciate your taking the time to go over my review and give me your feedback. Thanks a lot.😊
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This is a sparkling recommendation! I love your enthusiasm.
Your review was great - you transported me right into the story.
Thanks so much!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Bianka Walter wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 15:28 This is a sparkling recommendation! I love your enthusiasm.
Your review was great - you transported me right into the story.
Thanks so much!
Thank you so much for the kind words. I appreciate the positive energy you disseminate with your comments and remarkable reviews. Have a wonderful day. :D
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Splendid review Ruba! I'm glad you enjoyed this book and looks like you've got me to add a book I otherwise wouldn't have bothered with. Thank you :D
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Fuzaila wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 06:16 Splendid review Ruba! I'm glad you enjoyed this book and looks like you've got me to add a book I otherwise wouldn't have bothered with. Thank you :D
Thanks for the kind words Fuzaila. I am so glad you decided to add the book to your reading list. It certainly is worth your time. I hope you'll enjoy it. Have a wonderful day. :D
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Brilliant review... I hope to enjoy this book as much as you did.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Cardinalsparrow wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 08:50 Brilliant review... I hope to enjoy this book as much as you did.
Thank you so much. This book is beyond entertaining. If you get to read it, you'll find that it will stick with you for a long time. It's a highly-advisable read. I appreciate your taking the time to read my review and post a comment. :tiphat:
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Wow, this sounds like a really interest historical fiction book. I can't imagine the amount of research that the author had to put into this book!
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

CommMayo wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 13:36 Wow, this sounds like a really interest historical fiction book. I can't imagine the amount of research that the author had to put into this book!
Precisely! The author had put a tremendous amount of time and effort, as well as an extensive research and an astute attention to detail in this book. And the cherry on the top, was his ability to amalgamate all threads with eloquence and smooth literary style. Thanks for going over my review and posting a comment. :tiphat:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I grew up in Ohio, and I like crime novels. This sounds like a win for me.
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

teacherjh wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 17:50 I grew up in Ohio, and I like crime novels. This sounds like a win for me.
Wow! This book is for you then. You'll get a sense of the place and the atmosphere as you read it. Thanks for going over my review and for commenting. :tiphat:
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

An excellent review, I enjoyed it. The book sounds great, covering historical facts of crime investigation as well as the crimes themselves.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”