Review by jmima -- The last Assassination

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jmima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmima.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Review by jmima -- The last Assassination

Post by jmima »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The last Assassination" by James E Doucette.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last Assassination is an exciting, suspense-filled story about the lengths that politicians and business men go to in order to get their way. The major themes in the book are; loyalty, revenge, humanity, friendship, family, love and honor. We see the lives of different characters as they maneuver the mostly military and political landscapes in their respective lives, countries and places of operation. The author’s narrative is very descriptive and we often feel like we are part of the unfolding scenes rather than spectators experiencing them. I got a summarized education on how the major countries in power operate and what is considered relevant to them.

My favorite character is Amanda Courtwright. Although this has a lot to do with her being the only female that we encounter in a position of power, I liked that she brought a great deal of balance to a story line that would usually revolve around men and what are considered to be mostly manly pursuits. The author’s portrayal makes me feel like I know her and instantly want to be friends with her. My least favorite character is Jesse Plotnick. While we are introduced to him at the start of the book, he never amounts to what is expected and this left me rather underwhelmed! At some point, the reader actually gets the impression that the author has forgotten about him.

Many parts of the book address the unfair treatment and poor life conditions of specific groups of people and this cannot escape the reader as it naturally appeals to our better nature. No one is blind to suffering. Also, the deception and corruption that most governments operate under is brought to the forefront and it actually makes us think about how many incidents happen right under our noses every day.

I like that it gets into the mind of the assassins and serves as a reminder of how one being can be both good and evil at the same time. The excitement of leading a double life reels the reader in and we can’t help but imagine what it would be like to be a part of the story. The suspense and unexpected revelations keep the reader on their toes.

I recommend this book to anyone who loves suspense, thrillers and politically inclined stories. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because the story is informative and eye-opening with a little light humor

The last Assassination
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jmima's review? Post a comment saying so!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

I support you on the point about loving Amanda's character because she is the only woman in a position of power; and she brings balance to an otherwise manly world. It is very positive and encouraging when women are portrayed in a progressive and forward-thinking light. I'm happy that you enjoyed this read! Kudos on the review.
jmima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmima.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by jmima »

Thanks Joyce!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”