Official Review: A Promise Given by Michelle Cox

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: A Promise Given by Michelle Cox

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Promise Given" by Michelle Cox.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wedding bells are ringing! Clive and Henrietta's special day is fast approaching. Nevertheless, before the ceremony, some important matters demand attention. Henrietta’s mother and younger siblings need a place to stay. They will need financial support. Henrietta’s grandfather assumes responsibility for the family. Will her mother, Martha, accept the aid? Or, will her pride drive her to reject any support and association with the family patriarch?

The wedding day arrives. The happy couple exchanged traditional vows. After the festivities, the newlyweds start their honeymoon. The last stop of their voyage is in England. They stay at Castle Linley with Clive's relatives. Peculiar events occur during this visit. Is Cousin Wallace acting strangely? Then, there is a murder in the village. Could Wallace be involved? Clive and Henrietta assist the Detective Inspector as he searches for the murderer.

A Promise Given, by Michelle Cox, is the third installment in the Henrietta and Inspector Howard Series. This book advances the relationship between Clive and Henrietta. The focus is on the wedding and the honeymoon abroad. There are some references to events in the previous books.

This volume develops the family situation. Readers learn about the dilemmas of each family member. Henrietta’s mother carries a deep grudge against her father. Elsie, her sister, must choose between two beaus. Then there is young Eugene. Why has grandfather enrolled him in a military academy? How will Wallace resolve his family situation? Readers will find plenty of material for future volumes in this new adventure.

I really enjoyed Henrietta’s character. Her development throughout the book was beautifully done. Her doubts and fears before the wedding are normal. Post-wedding she matures into a confident and loving wife. Clive develops as he learns to love and please his new wife. The romance between Clive and Henrietta is the true highlight of this story. The author portrays the romantic scenes in a tasteful and suitable manner. Clive and Henrietta also develop as a team. They work together to help their family and to stop crime.

I thought the dialogues were well developed. I found it easy to put myself into the conversations. The settings of Chicago and England in the 1930s are well described. The author exhibits a thorough knowledge of both regions.

The only thing I did not like about the book was the large cast of characters. It would have been helpful to have a family tree. It was difficult to remember all the different family members.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The large cast of characters became somewhat confusing. I truly enjoyed the sweet love story. This book is for readers who enjoy a romance that features a husband and wife detective team.

A Promise Given
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
tinker958
Currently Reading: Love is the Answer, God is the Cure
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by tinker958 »

A Promise Given by Michelle Cox sounds like a great romance. I like this book because the story moves you along and keeps you wanting to know more.

I will be adding this my list of books to read.
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for the review. It sounds like everything I like in a story - romance, murder, detective work! This will definitely go on my "to read" list.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It doesn't necessarily sound like this is a stand alone book. Since I haven't read the others, I guess I won't read this one either. Sounds like you enjoyed this despite the large cast of characters (which is incidentally one of my pet peeves as well.) Thanks for introducing this one to us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I love the combination of romance and mystery. This sounds like a book I would enjoy, but I need to start from the first in the series.
Too bad poor Clive and Henrietta couldn't have a quiet, relaxing honeymoon ;)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

tinker958 wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 00:05 A Promise Given by Michelle Cox sounds like a great romance. I like this book because the story moves you along and keeps you wanting to know more.

I will be adding this my list of books to read.
I enjoyed this book very much and will be anxious to continuing with future volumes. I had not known this author previously, but look forward to reading more of her work.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Corhan2 wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 01:56 Thanks for the review. It sounds like everything I like in a story - romance, murder, detective work! This will definitely go on my "to read" list.
Looks like this book has everything you like! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 10:01 It doesn't necessarily sound like this is a stand alone book. Since I haven't read the others, I guess I won't read this one either. Sounds like you enjoyed this despite the large cast of characters (which is incidentally one of my pet peeves as well.) Thanks for introducing this one to us.
I have not read the previous books in this series. I thought the author did a great job of giving just enough information and references to previous events to give the reader the idea of what had happened without giving any spoilers!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kfwilson6 wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 10:16 I love the combination of romance and mystery. This sounds like a book I would enjoy, but I need to start from the first in the series.
Well - did the interruptions cause a problem or add more spice to the occasion? Read on!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

kdstrack wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 10:42
kfwilson6 wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 10:16 I love the combination of romance and mystery. This sounds like a book I would enjoy, but I need to start from the first in the series.
Well - did the interruptions cause a problem or add more spice to the occasion? Read on!
HAHA, nice, trying to spark my interest even more!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I find a large cast of characters can be distracting for me, especially in a book that is a sequel. I like these types of books, but I'd want to start from the beginning and I just don't have the space in my to read list right now to add anything that I am just mildly interested in. Thanks for the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I so agree with you that family trees are helpful when there are a raft of related characters. This sounds like a good read. Nice review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Julie Green wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 16:32 I so agree with you that family trees are helpful when there are a raft of related characters. This sounds like a good read. Nice review!
Thanks, Julie. The family tree would have been helpful. Even so, I really enjoyed the book. Hope you enjoy it, too!
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

Sounds like a great book. I am a romance lover so I just might pick in up in hope that I do not get confused with characters as you have stated.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

christabel88 wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 05:08 Sounds like a great book. I am a romance lover so I just might pick in up in hope that I do not get confused with characters as you have stated.
It is a great book. Hope you will fall in love with Clive and Henrietta, too!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”