Official Review: Ego: The Ghost in Your Machinery

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Ego: The Ghost in Your Machinery

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ego: The Ghost in Your Machinery" by Louis D. Cox, Ph.D.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Though many of us are familiar with the general concept of the ego, it can be a difficult term to define, in part because its meaning has shifted and evolved since its Freudian origin. Ego: The Ghost in Your Machinery by Louis D. Cox, PhD, is a book that examines the properties of our ego and presents strategies for gaining awareness and control over its sometimes-self-destructive tendencies. Much of the book focuses on helping us form an understanding of the nefarious and subconscious workings of our ego, it’s rigid rules, and its obfuscations of the truth behind our behavior patterns.

This author presents us with a helpful guide in identifying the hidden recesses of our own emotions, outlooks, and repressed beliefs about ourselves and the world. He argues that our culture tends to nurse an aversion to fully examining our internal personal motivations, and that most people operate based on many unconscious forces without realizing those forces even exist. The key role of the ego, as posed in this book, is to subtly influence our actions to constantly seek out what we have determined (whether we realize it or not) makes us socially “acceptable” human beings. Simultaneously, the ego works to suppress those habits and tendencies that go against its often rigid and simplistic understanding of acceptable and desirable behavior.

Because our egos are formed in childhood, based on the models around us and the messages we receive about the acceptability of our choices, they are rarely based on rational thought. Instead, the ego operates through habits, using positive feelings to reinforce the choices that fall within its rules of “acceptability” and negative feelings (like shame, self-doubt, embarrassment, and guilt) to discourage and suppress choices that go against these rules.

In addition to explaining the processes used by the ego, the author also presents the concept of a Truthplace, which is the space within all of us that reacts honestly to the world around us, without fear or judgement or repression of feeling. The book provides practical exercises to identify this part of ourselves through the process of “dropping in” to our bodies, and the use of mindfulness to stay within our emotions and communicate them accurately. Real life examples of these processes are also included, via transcribed conversations between the author and the participants in a therapeutic group devoted to uncovering and addressing the ego. One of the most interesting elements of the book is the evidence of resistance that each of the group members exhibits to this process, which often manifests as anger or embarrassment. Nonetheless, each member of the group is able to witness their own ego at work, and to verbally identify its processes in real time.

This was quite an informative book about a topic that seems simple on the surface yet can be quite complex to fully grasp. The author does an excellent job of presenting his ideas in a variety of ways, both conceptual and concrete, and the examples of real clients going through the process of self-discovery bring this book into a level of practicality that would not be achieved in an abstract self-help format. The writing is sophisticated yet accessible, and only a few minor typographical errors are present in the text.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, primarily because its content is so comprehensive and applicable to nearly any reader. Due to the complex nature of some of the topics within, and its focus on significant long-term relationships, this is a book best suited to adult readers who are ready to critically examine their behavior patterns. Readers looking to increase their self-awareness of the motivations and fears that drive their choices would benefit highly from reading this work. Topics addressed within include social anxiety, intimacy in close relationships, and the terrifying and complex nature of shame. At the heart of all of humanity is our desire to be accepted by others, and our fear of rejection, and this book highlights the universal anxieties that we all carry in relation to these needs. Though this book helps the reader to work on him or herself in a private and individual way, its ultimate impact serves to erase some of the boundaries that separate us from each other, and gives us tools to build richer, more fulfilling, and more transparent relationships.

Ego: The Ghost in Your Machinery
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
svalentin17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by svalentin17 »

I feel like this is what I’ve been looking for in a book! Very interested in reading just by the review, been looking work on myself after college and entering my career and would like too in a healthy and understanding way
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I agree with you, that you would probably have to be in the right frame of mind for this book. Ready to examine yourself and take a good bit of time reading this book. I'm just not sure I'm there right now. But, I greatly appreciate your review and will keep this in mind when I'm ready to do some soul searching.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Farmgurl1 »

Based on the review, this book sounds action-packed and thrilling. I also like the story-line of a strong female lead character. However, I am tired of reading these Dystopian novels where the future world is predicted to be desolate and horrible. It's just kind of depressing, so I think I'll pass.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

This sounds a little over my head, and I'm probably not in the right frame of mind to read it. I'll pass for now, but thank you for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Wow! This does not sound a like a 'light' read about the ego. I actually had considered this one for myself as I have an interest in everything psychology. It sounds like the author did a good job of breaking down what the meaning of ego is and how to deal with those stuffed down emotions we may not even be aware of having. Nice job on this review. I think I might have to take another glance at this one.
Everything happens for a reason...
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

This book sounds fascinating, if challenging. It's not a book I would naturally pick up but, reading your review, it sounds like the author brings this very complex subject to life. I'm so interested in the power of emotions (shame would be my worst) that I feel drawn to try to read this book. Thank you for your excellent review.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

The book sounds thrilling but not for me!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I am intrigued by how the human brain works. This could be pretty enlightening.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I love it when books can help us to understand ourselves. It is hard to pinpoint what is actually motivating actions. I think everyone should be self aware and research/ study even just the basics of psychology.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I like the idea of "Truthplace" as being a place within ourselves that is completely honest and free of judgment. I like this idea because if this book is talking about going deep within ourselves to understand ourselves better, it is important to look at ourselves from a nonjudgmental perspective. This sounds like a very good start to self discovery because self discovery can reveal some shocking insights that may be considered controversial.
:character-ariel:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”