Which character did you identify with the most?

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Re: Which character did you identify with the most?

Post by Beth KG »

Tiny_Turtle wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 17:21 Spoiler Alert: I get very specific.

When I saw the title, "Which character did you identify with the most?", I thought you meant which character out of the whole book. My mind went right away to a particular character that played a tiny, but significant, part. I didn't realize that you were going to list three characters for us to choose from. Not really sure which of the three I feel I could be most like, under the same circumstances. But, I'll try.

I wasn't really 'drawn to' any one of the characters more than the others. Although, I was the most 'surprised' by Rex. I fully expected him to kill Sliver. They were face to face and Sliver asked Rex if he was going to kill him, and Rex said, "No, I'm not", even though he was receiving punishment jolts. That just blew my mind. Totally unexpected.

I would like to think that I could be like Rex. To be able to do what was right, no matter how I had been programmed. If you really think about it, we are all programmed to believe a certain way from the time we are born. We are programmed by our parents and the rest of our family, our church or lack of, our teachers at school, even by our governments thru media and laws, even our friends.

From our first breath, we are being programmed as to what is right and what is wrong. At some point we believe that our decisions are our own, or will be once we become an adult. But, are they truly, or are they a product of our conditioning, our programming? I would like to think that if I ever came face to face with the reality that something I had been taught to believe as true was actually a lie, that I would be able to make the decision to do the right thing, no matter the consequences. Like Rex did.

I don't believe I would turn out like Sliver, especially under the same circumstances. I would have probably been one of the ones who didn't make it through the indoctrination. I couldn't imagine myself surviving through the ordeal of torture that he went through.

Which brings me to Kelly. "Kelly is forced out of what she thought was reality and into circumstances beyond her control." I can relate to Kelly. There was someone in my life that I believed I could count on. Someone I believed would always be there for me, no matter what. When you have someone like that in your life, your reality looks a certain way, the world looks a certain way.

Then, the day comes when your reality is shattered. You find out that they were not who, or what, you thought they were. You really can't count on them. They aren't there for you. Suddenly, the whole world looks different. Reality tilts on its side, and everything feels out of control. And, there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Except to put one foot in front of the other, and continue to move forward, adapting to the new reality. Just like Kelly did.

So, I guess I would have to say that Kelly is the one I could see myself being the most like under the same circumstances. I've already been there. No one actually died, but it sure did feel like it, and my whole reality, and the way I saw the world, changed.

Now, back to the first character that came to my mind when I saw the question, "Which character did you identify with the most?"

The first technician we met on pg. 18. The poor guy was just trying to do his job. He was supposed to hook up to the Chrome Wind, and download the latest mission's information. Minding his own business, walking to the plane. At first, Sliver just did the intimidation stare, as he walked toward the technician. When the technician kept walking, Sliver stops and tells the poor guy that he'll kill him if he touches the plane.
The technician whimpered. Sliver stared a few seconds longer, and then walked away towards an elevator. He pressed the call button, and the technician waited. Sliver entered the elevator when it opened, and the technician continued to wait. The doors closed, and the technician wondered how much he needed this job.
I could just so totally relate. I can remember what it feels like to be in that position. Stuck between the big boss and a big client, just trying to do my job. Knowing that no matter what I did, I'd still be in trouble. But, at least the client never threatened to kill me physically, just threatened to kill my career.

When I read that part, I remember that I actually pictured myself laying my hand on his shoulder, watching the elevator doors close, and saying, "Jerk."
Tiny Turtle, thank you for your reply! I actually did mean any character in the book and only gave those first three as examples. I would have to agree with you and say that none of these three were characters I could truly identify with.

Agent Sliver is (although a killer) a kind of superhero type and I like daydreaming about that kind of thing. You know, being Superman and being able to fly. But...I would not truly want to be like him. I, like you, think it would be preferable to die rather than be coerced (brainwashed, whatever) into murdering innocent people. I do think it is impossible to know what that type of conditioning might do to a human being.

Rex is a very surprising character but not developed enough for me to imagine inhabiting his skin. I really enjoyed reading this book and the unique scenarios it explores, but think all of the characters could have used more development. Not to put the author down. I think this is an amazing effort! Yes, Rex's decision to defy his programming was a completely unexpected development and worth thinking about. I too would like to be able to do what is right, no matter the personal consequences. Of course, if you bring in consequences to others in our lives (especially those we love) that brings up a whole new set of moral and emotional conflicts. But that's another story...

Yes, I can identify with Kelly under the terms you describe. I have endured a few such situations in my life. I think most people do. Sometimes people betray us intentionally and other times it is because they too have been conditioned in certain ways. Your description of what this feels like is heartfelt and I very much appreciate it!

Your insight into what the technician must have felt like is also appreciated. I am sorry you have had to deal with a situation that made you feel this way. I have too, when I think about it, but didn't give it much thought in reading that section. I guess I was identifying too much with Sliver at that point and (probably along with the author) just accepted it as a way for Sliver to do what he wanted (and move the plot forward).

Finally, I have to say, your response was such an unexpected delight to read! Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply!!!
Beth KG

Post by Beth KG »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 18:20 I probably identified most with Agent Sliver. He did what he had to do to survive. I’m probably just as suggestible as he was in the end, too.
Thank you for your comments and your honest assessment. I really hope I wouldn't be capable of the things he did, but again, we never know until we are forced to endure those same circumstances. :(
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I love the transformation that Agent Silver undergoes. However, I am not sure if I can be drawn to be like him. It was nice to see how he would do just what he was told and thus he only killed Kelly's parents and not Kelly herself. It is also true that Kelly had a huge role to play in his transformation.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Beth KG wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 09:17
ValBookReviews wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 23:48 Of course, I am drawn to Agent Silver the most. But under better and different circumstances would I want to be like him.

My feelings exactly! :)
Yes indeed! I'm glad we agree! :tiphat:
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Beth KG

Post by Beth KG »

Kibetious wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 20:41 I love the transformation that Agent Silver undergoes. However, I am not sure if I can be drawn to be like him. It was nice to see how he would do just what he was told and thus he only killed Kelly's parents and not Kelly herself. It is also true that Kelly had a huge role to play in his transformation.
Yes, I agree it was heartening that he changed! Thank you for your comments!
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I didn't really feel like I could identify with any character, but the realistic nature of the story had me shaking my head on more than one occasion. Just the way that the masses were tricked into giving their individuality away by the corporations who kept pumping out the advertisements and making sure there was conformity. I guess I would have to say then that I was feeling like the general public because a lot of what the supercorporations were doing, it is being done right now. We have to have the 'brand' names to be important. But, that robs us of our individuality at times. I don't know if I ever want to live in the world that was so extreme as this one. I think I would wait for the powers that be to take me out due to my non-conformity. While I would never make bombs in the basement like Kelly's dad did, I would fight the progression of not being able to be myself. And, if that meant not living within the terms of what the higher-ups wanted, then I guess I would be removed from society.
Everything happens for a reason...
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

I found Rex intriguing since he was half human and half A1 being. I wondered whether such persons exist.
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

I think I identify with Kelly more as an idea than a character. Forgetting that she is the only significant female, are we not (the British) as a whole, experiencing the trials of her character through the uncertainty of Brexit?
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Beth KG wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 10:15
Tiny_Turtle wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 17:21 Spoiler Alert: I get very specific.

When I saw the title, "Which character did you identify with the most?", I thought you meant which character out of the whole book. My mind went right away to a particular character that played a tiny, but significant, part. I didn't realize that you were going to list three characters for us to choose from. Not really sure which of the three I feel I could be most like, under the same circumstances. But, I'll try.

I wasn't really 'drawn to' any one of the characters more than the others. Although, I was the most 'surprised' by Rex. I fully expected him to kill Sliver. They were face to face and Sliver asked Rex if he was going to kill him, and Rex said, "No, I'm not", even though he was receiving punishment jolts. That just blew my mind. Totally unexpected.

I would like to think that I could be like Rex. To be able to do what was right, no matter how I had been programmed. If you really think about it, we are all programmed to believe a certain way from the time we are born. We are programmed by our parents and the rest of our family, our church or lack of, our teachers at school, even by our governments thru media and laws, even our friends.

From our first breath, we are being programmed as to what is right and what is wrong. At some point we believe that our decisions are our own, or will be once we become an adult. But, are they truly, or are they a product of our conditioning, our programming? I would like to think that if I ever came face to face with the reality that something I had been taught to believe as true was actually a lie, that I would be able to make the decision to do the right thing, no matter the consequences. Like Rex did.

I don't believe I would turn out like Sliver, especially under the same circumstances. I would have probably been one of the ones who didn't make it through the indoctrination. I couldn't imagine myself surviving through the ordeal of torture that he went through.

Which brings me to Kelly. "Kelly is forced out of what she thought was reality and into circumstances beyond her control." I can relate to Kelly. There was someone in my life that I believed I could count on. Someone I believed would always be there for me, no matter what. When you have someone like that in your life, your reality looks a certain way, the world looks a certain way.

Then, the day comes when your reality is shattered. You find out that they were not who, or what, you thought they were. You really can't count on them. They aren't there for you. Suddenly, the whole world looks different. Reality tilts on its side, and everything feels out of control. And, there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Except to put one foot in front of the other, and continue to move forward, adapting to the new reality. Just like Kelly did.

So, I guess I would have to say that Kelly is the one I could see myself being the most like under the same circumstances. I've already been there. No one actually died, but it sure did feel like it, and my whole reality, and the way I saw the world, changed.

Now, back to the first character that came to my mind when I saw the question, "Which character did you identify with the most?"

The first technician we met on pg. 18. The poor guy was just trying to do his job. He was supposed to hook up to the Chrome Wind, and download the latest mission's information. Minding his own business, walking to the plane. At first, Sliver just did the intimidation stare, as he walked toward the technician. When the technician kept walking, Sliver stops and tells the poor guy that he'll kill him if he touches the plane.
The technician whimpered. Sliver stared a few seconds longer, and then walked away towards an elevator. He pressed the call button, and the technician waited. Sliver entered the elevator when it opened, and the technician continued to wait. The doors closed, and the technician wondered how much he needed this job.
I could just so totally relate. I can remember what it feels like to be in that position. Stuck between the big boss and a big client, just trying to do my job. Knowing that no matter what I did, I'd still be in trouble. But, at least the client never threatened to kill me physically, just threatened to kill my career.

When I read that part, I remember that I actually pictured myself laying my hand on his shoulder, watching the elevator doors close, and saying, "Jerk."
Tiny Turtle, thank you for your reply! I actually did mean any character in the book and only gave those first three as examples. I would have to agree with you and say that none of these three were characters I could truly identify with.

Agent Sliver is (although a killer) a kind of superhero type and I like daydreaming about that kind of thing. You know, being Superman and being able to fly. But...I would not truly want to be like him. I, like you, think it would be preferable to die rather than be coerced (brainwashed, whatever) into murdering innocent people. I do think it is impossible to know what that type of conditioning might do to a human being.

Rex is a very surprising character but not developed enough for me to imagine inhabiting his skin. I really enjoyed reading this book and the unique scenarios it explores, but think all of the characters could have used more development. Not to put the author down. I think this is an amazing effort! Yes, Rex's decision to defy his programming was a completely unexpected development and worth thinking about. I too would like to be able to do what is right, no matter the personal consequences. Of course, if you bring in consequences to others in our lives (especially those we love) that brings up a whole new set of moral and emotional conflicts. But that's another story...

Yes, I can identify with Kelly under the terms you describe. I have endured a few such situations in my life. I think most people do. Sometimes people betray us intentionally and other times it is because they too have been conditioned in certain ways. Your description of what this feels like is heartfelt and I very much appreciate it!

Your insight into what the technician must have felt like is also appreciated. I am sorry you have had to deal with a situation that made you feel this way. I have too, when I think about it, but didn't give it much thought in reading that section. I guess I was identifying too much with Sliver at that point and (probably along with the author) just accepted it as a way for Sliver to do what he wanted (and move the plot forward).

Finally, I have to say, your response was such an unexpected delight to read! Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply!!!
I agree, it would be cool to be a super hero. Thank you for your nice comments about my response. I was actually concerned that it might have been too long. 💕
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

I related more to Agent Silver than anyone else, but my upbringing has also been different than most. I was raised by a psychopath with a cluster B disorder. I know exactly what it feels like to be manipulated, programmed, and desensitized. It's almost exactly like feeling how Agent Silver did at the re-education camp. He clearly knew what they wanted to hear, so he said it and convinced them that he meant it. He knew it was his only option: compliance. It's interesting how other comments mention that Rex was able to defy his programming, but was he only able to do this because he is "super" human in the first place?? Rex doesn't suffer from the same level of vulnerability as Agent Silver who is fully human.

Edit: I also relate to Agent Silver strongly because he is constantly attempting to project his emotions onto other characters like Franklin. He is always attempting to reach out and make a connection, yet it is always destroyed. Agent Silver displays a unique ability to understand other people's true motivations. I wonder if he is an INFJ personality type?? :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

Agent Silver of course. His kidnapping and torturous experience was exactly what my countrymen went through in the attempts for self determination.
Beth KG

Post by Beth KG »

cpru68 wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 12:36 I didn't really feel like I could identify with any character, but the realistic nature of the story had me shaking my head on more than one occasion. Just the way that the masses were tricked into giving their individuality away by the corporations who kept pumping out the advertisements and making sure there was conformity. I guess I would have to say then that I was feeling like the general public because a lot of what the supercorporations were doing, it is being done right now. We have to have the 'brand' names to be important. But, that robs us of our individuality at times. I don't know if I ever want to live in the world that was so extreme as this one. I think I would wait for the powers that be to take me out due to my non-conformity. While I would never make bombs in the basement like Kelly's dad did, I would fight the progression of not being able to be myself. And, if that meant not living within the terms of what the higher-ups wanted, then I guess I would be removed from society.
Very insightful, thank you! It is so hard not to conform. I feel like we are being brainwashed every day already. Not to become assassins (I hope!) but to conform and believe things that might not be true. I'm not sure I would like to live in such an extreme society either but it seemed probable that the majority of people in the book had no clue about the true nature of the society they lived in.
Beth KG

Post by Beth KG »

sharkyjen998 wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 20:10 I related more to Agent Silver than anyone else, but my upbringing has also been different than most. I was raised by a psychopath with a cluster B disorder. I know exactly what it feels like to be manipulated, programmed, and desensitized. It's almost exactly like feeling how Agent Silver did at the re-education camp. He clearly knew what they wanted to hear, so he said it and convinced them that he meant it. He knew it was his only option: compliance. It's interesting how other comments mention that Rex was able to defy his programming, but was he only able to do this because he is "super" human in the first place?? Rex doesn't suffer from the same level of vulnerability as Agent Silver who is fully human.

Edit: I also relate to Agent Silver strongly because he is constantly attempting to project his emotions onto other characters like Franklin. He is always attempting to reach out and make a connection, yet it is always destroyed. Agent Silver displays a unique ability to understand other people's true motivations. I wonder if he is an INFJ personality type?? :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
So sorry to hear about what you have gone through! Manipulation by a loved one is devastating, and, I agree, compliance often seems to be the only option. I don't know whether Rex had an advantage over Agent Sliver or not. It might be that he did. Until we are placed in the exact same situation as another person, with the exact same experiences, it is impossible to know how we might react. Sometimes all we can do is strive to overcome and hope for the best! Thank you for your in-depth and very insightful response.
Beth KG

Post by Beth KG »

David Horta Alonso wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 23:52 Agent Silver of course. His kidnapping and torturous experience was exactly what my countrymen went through in the attempts for self determination.
Thank you for commenting!
Beth KG

Post by Beth KG »

David Horta Alonso wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 12:59 I found Rex intriguing since he was half human and half A1 being. I wondered whether such persons exist.
Yes, Rex is an interesting character in many ways!

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”